Why become a member? ×

Jamerson Bass Auction

acidbass

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1495642150' post='3305558']
There's only a few instruments that I would have a big interest in their auction price...

And thats -

Brian May's original Red Special
Macca's Hofner (both current and the original stolen one (although this one has significantly less history))
Macca's LH '59 LP

Anybody want to add any extras to the list...?
[/quote]

Not on the same league but I wouldn't mind Tim Commerford's Stingray bitsa with the badass bridge, an iconic sound from an iconic album.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1495642652' post='3305563']
Honestly, JJ's actual P-basses are some of the very few star instruments I have any interest in.

I mean, the bass that was played on THIS... c'mon!

(And if anybody here's never seen this, it's well worth nine minutes of your life, especially with headphones on).

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iDj1D2OimM"]http://www.youtube....h?v=2iDj1D2OimM[/url]
[/quote]

Is that a Fender Showman rig JJ is using that clip?..the cabs used a pair of JBL K140's....nice from what I can remember.

I think any Wal would do the same thing though? I'm not sure I'd pay any extra for it as he's not seen playing it much although that hasn't stopped Fender releasing the stack knob that he hasn't played for ages as his sig model. I'd probably buy a five string version of the FendeRay he currently plays live if they released that.

I too don't get this 'famous player' increasing the value of an instrument thing. If a guitar/bass is good, it is good. Does it really matter who played it before you got your hands on it? If funding were not a problem, I would get a top notch guitar and a similar bass. The guitar could be a '59 Les Paul or an R9 built recently. The only requirements being it is a good guitar, nice player and not too heavy. And absolutely not neck heavy!!!! If it were the '59 LP, it is a fact that several owners/players had it since then. A good instrument is a good instrument.

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1495921494' post='3307617']
I too don't get this 'famous player' increasing the value of an instrument thing. If a guitar/bass is good, it is good. Does it really matter who played it before you got your hands on it? If funding were not a problem, I would get a top notch guitar and a similar bass. The guitar could be a '59 Les Paul or an R9 built recently. The only requirements being it is a good guitar, nice player and not too heavy. And absolutely not neck heavy!!!! If it were the '59 LP, it is a fact that several owners/players had it since then. A good instrument is a good instrument.
[/quote]

This thread isn't for you.

[quote name='Rocker' timestamp='1495921494' post='3307617']
[/quote]

I've just spent twenty minutes writing a reply to this, but decided it was getting too in-depth.
In a nutshell, you have a very logical approach, but for most people, preferences and purchasing decisions in life are heavily based on emotional factors.

I like the thought of owning something like this. It would be like going to the Colloseum. When I walked to.it, it was just a building
When i found out some of the path was original , I liked the fact that I was making the same journey , walking on the same stone as the romans were thousands of years ago.

Edited by timmo

• 4 weeks later...