Why become a member? ×

40 years since The Clash release their first album!

itsmedunc

Love that 1st Clash album. Although they did record many great songs moving forwards, imo they also recorded some real rotters as well, whereas the whole of the 1st album is great - do wish it was slightly better produced tho.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1491488251' post='3273446']
Probably because most punk records from that era sound pretty tame compared with what's available today in various genres of metal and rap.
[/quote]

I think that it the truth. In reality what to me sounded raw and energetic in the mid 70s sounds pretty tame nowadays.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1491512909' post='3273692']
Love that 1st Clash album. Although they did record many great songs moving forwards, imo they also recorded some real rotters as well, whereas the whole of the 1st album is great - do wish it was slightly better produced tho.
[/quote]compared to Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts it was a master class in Hi Fi production :lol:

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1491514384' post='3273709']
I think that it the truth. In reality what to me sounded raw and energetic in the mid 70s sounds pretty tame nowadays.
[/quote]

Aye that's true. Many of the punk /new wave tracks are used on tv ads nowadays too. There's even one on at the moment that starts off the same as Fight Back by Discharge!

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1491562426' post='3273961']
Aye that's true. Many of the punk /new wave tracks are used on tv ads nowadays too. There's even one on at the moment that starts off the same as Fight Back by Discharge!
[/quote]
Funny you should mention Discharge, because they came to my mind first, they seemed so fast and unreal at the time, now they seem pretty tame :)

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1491460077' post='3273114']
I saw them back then in '77. I was at college in London and they played a gig at the LSE. Strummer walked on a said something like 'all students are pigs' and spat into the audience. It all went rather wrong after that. Retrospectively I like what they did and a lot of punk but, at the time, I was firmly in the 'they can't even play their instruments' camp. :)
[/quote]
Fantastic!