Why become a member? ×

Does this Bass Guitar exist?

LewisK1975

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1490886766' post='3268827']
Could this be achieved with a PJ bass, but wiring the the P pickup in parallel (or having a series/parallel switch). Would that give the P pickup more of a J flavour, especially when combined with the bridge pickup??
[/quote]

Hang on...does this mean that PJ basses are typically wired in series? This would explain a few things and possibly lead to me kicking myself...

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1491224064' post='3271315']
Hang on...does this mean that PJ basses are typically wired in series? This would explain a few things and possibly lead to me kicking myself...
[/quote]

Yep, typically wired in series. I think there are some oddballs out there that aren't but I think its very much the exception. AFAIK anyway!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1491224064' post='3271315']
[/quote]
[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1491224649' post='3271322']
Yep, typically wired in series. I think there are some oddballs out there that aren't but I think its very much the exception. AFAIK anyway!
[/quote]

I'd assume the two individual coils of the P pickup are wired in series, as per usual, but surely the P and J aren't in series with each other? Wouldn't that sound monstrous? Or maybe I don't quite understand how electronics work.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1490881626' post='3268755']
If you just want the neck feel then it's easy enough to add a P neck to any jazz bass. If you want the full on precision but with jazz pickups then I think (and I'm happy to be corrected) it'll have to be a custom job. Plenty of people will make you one, [url="http://www.valentibasses.com/models.html"]such as the blue Valenti on the bottom of this page[/url].
[/quote]

It always pains me to see a legitimate business using Papyrus for their logo.

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1490885684' post='3268814']
Or one of these from Maruszczyk:

[url="https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string/508-jake-4p-c3pu-el-comandante130137"]https://www.public-p...omandante130137[/url]

Just turn down the P pickup volume and there you have it.
[/quote]

A damn gorgeous bass that is!

Edited by ZilchWoolham

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1491215797' post='3271220']
Thanks for all the replies guys, all very helpful!

Marc, for me it would have to be the RW P neck, although I would really like it if it was a little narrower, like 1.65" instead of 1.75". IIRC your RW P has a slimmed down neck?....
[/quote]

Yes, I got my RW P from Daveyboy on this forum - he'd had the neck trimmed a bit, by a luthier, who has done a fantastic job it must be said :) I don't know how he managed it, but it feels just as good as my RW J and Flea sig necks, and you really can't tell from the feel or the finish that it wasn't always like that. Dave Dearnaley did the routing for me, so it's now a P/J and I must say, that's the option for me!

I generally get the level / volume I want, and dial in the tone control as I want it, then add a bit of the J pickup to suit the venue / band / song. I really like it. And I know what you mean about the P pickup cover, for resting your thumb on too! lol It's just the right shape, and in just the right place on a P. So glad I went for my P from Daveyboy, and so glad I got Dave D to P/J my Squier CV P bass too. They're both superb, but now I really must sell one of my Jazzes, like you.... but which one? :o

[quote name='ZilchWoolham' timestamp='1491231545' post='3271393']
I'd assume the two individual coils of the P pickup are wired in series, as per usual, but surely the P and J aren't in series with each other? Wouldn't that sound monstrous? Or maybe I don't quite understand how electronics work.
[/quote]

Ah yes, quite right, should have read the question better. I was talking about the two halves of the P not PJ.

Could be an interesting experiment in there somewhere though....

[quote name='No. 8 Wire' timestamp='1491234686' post='3271438']
Ah yes, quite right, should have read the question better. I was talking about the two halves of the P not PJ.

Could be an interesting experiment in there somewhere though....
[/quote]

I know some people do it with Jazz basses to get a bit more oomph. I reckon with a P pickup in the mix it would be more oomph than you could ask for, but I suppose it could be someone's cup of tea. Some crazy folk even wire humbuckers on guitars in series (again, the two pickups as well as the coils within the pickups). It tends to sound a bit... thick.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1491259101' post='3271710']
I had a Squier Standard P Bass Special V which was a Precision 5 with jazz pickups, much like this:

The four-string variants all seem to be PJ though.
[/quote]

There's one of those on the bass players market UK Facebook group right now.