Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Congrats! The PH is definitely proving to be a MASSIVE hit with BC'ers. I'll add you to the "wall of shame" :) 

Trouble is, I may well decide one BB isn't enough!!

On 13/02/2021 at 10:49, Ricky Rioli said:

Yamaha's frequent sizes of 40mm and 43mm lie almost exactly in the middle of the gaps between 1½" and 1⅝" and 1¾"

This is going to hurt me more than you

Screenshot_20210214-120004_Gmail.jpg

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, MirrorMan said:

Trouble is, I may well decide one BB isn't enough!!

Well if you're anything like the rest of us, I would be incredibly foolish to bet against that! 

Don't worry, if you check the OP to this thread there's plenty of space to add additional BBs if your collection grows 😉

What is slightly intriguing is the preponderance of BB owners with names / avatars beginning with M, which you're definitely a mirror of...

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 14:24, Al Krow said:

More recent Yamaha BBs seem to use a YY-M format with the first 3 letters providing the date, but using the following code: H=1, I=2, J=3, K=4, L=5, M=6, N=7, O=8, P=9, Q=0, X=10, Y=11, Z=12

I've only just spotted this helpful little paragraph in the OP.

By this, my very fresh-looking BB424 is Jan 2012, which fits with the years of production.

And by it, my TRBX604FM is Nov 2017, 2 months before the instrument was announced, and 2½ years before I bought it. I guess the Yamaha Music Shop don't bother with stock rotation in their storeroom. (And why would you bother? Instruments weigh a lot, don't like being thrown around for the sake of it, and don't go off) 

3 hours ago, MirrorMan said:

Flats...on a Hooky?

In my defence Dunlops are pretty bright for flats but perhaps not quite bright enough.

5 minutes ago, GreeneKing said:

In my defence Dunlops are pretty bright for flats but perhaps not quite bright enough.

I'd agree. To be fair, the only flats I've got are on a fearless P copy... been on for more years than I remember.

• Like 1

Just now, MirrorMan said:

I'd agree. To be fair, the only flats I've got are on a fearless P copy... been on for more years than I remember.

Fretless!!! Damn autocorrect!

• Like 2

Rather tasty vintage white 2024X has appeared on fleabay for £1249. The GAS is rising once again... must.... resist! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Rather tasty vintage white 2024X has appeared on fleabay for £1249. The GAS is rising once again... must.... resist! 

I was thinking the other day, if Yamaha continue the slightly different style of BB sound, then that will mean the 2024 will remain unsuperceded. Unsuperceded, impeccable quality, and zero fresh supply....does this mean that 2024s will never be as modestly priced as this again....? 

48 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Phew, it's missing a thumb-rest string 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, noooooooo...I'm skint...must resist...  Oh, it's nearly 10lbs. Must focus on that... 😕🙂

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Thanks, but been there, done that and got the t-shirt 😉

However, one for you? 

I am currently dabbling in the world of 5 strings. I have one sat next to me currently. I'm not sure what I make of it. 
Pretty sure another 5 string isn't the answer to the question! 

is this the sort of thing you wore for Yamaha bass t-shirt? https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Yamaha-Short-Sleeve-T-shirt-White-w-Front-Pocket-w-Yamaha-Logo-Back-Bass-/233634030345 

19 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Yeah I definitely should have got myself one of those, although I might likely have made a spector of myself. I got one of these instead:

Humbucker II.png

Now I've gotta find myself a Humbucker t-shirt with just a P pup on it...proving surprisingly elusive for some reason.

Edited by Al Krow

14 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I am currently dabbling in the world of 5 strings. I have one sat next to me currently. I'm not sure what I make of it. 

The key is to remember that the extra string is primarily there as a thumb rest to avoid that ugly thumb wear you often see next to pups on basses.

14 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Pretty sure another 5 string isn't the answer to the question! 

Surely it depends on what the question was?

For example, if the question was: "what sort of bass did Al Krow buy after his previous 5 string?" that would be a perfectly good answer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Yeah I definitely should have got myself one of those, although I might likely have made a spector of myself. I got one of these instead:

Humbucker II.png

Now I've gotta find myself a Humbucker t-shirt with just a P pup on it...proving surprisingly elusive for some reason.

like this? https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/P-style-pickups-by-rockylaber/16251208.G22WK 

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,mens,e0e1dd:06443 

was your search showing you lots of juvenile dogs by any chance? :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

like this? https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/P-style-pickups-by-rockylaber/16251208.G22WK 

ssrco,slim_fit_t_shirt,mens,e0e1dd:06443 

was your search showing you lots of juvenile dogs by any chance? :D 

Close but no cigar - it needs to be a "Humbucker" t-shirt featuring a P pup, not called a "P-style pup" t-shirt, that's far too common usage by everyone on the planet.

Can't now remember what I was searching for, as once my eyes fell on this 614 in Pewter, everything else was forgotten. Mmm, shiny. (Mmm, matching headstock, too)

380456-SH-174-1788%20(6).jpg?w=720&h=720

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Can't now remember what I was searching for, as once my eyes fell on this 614 in Pewter, everything else was forgotten. Mmm, shiny. (Mmm, matching headstock, too)

380456-SH-174-1788%20(6).jpg?w=720&h=720

Upgrade the preamp and you'll have a smashing bass ;)

• Haha 1

It's got 5 kernobs, you could get a John East in there... 🙂

• Like 1