Why become a member? ×

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Cool! Which one are you getting?

A headless BX1 from Canada.  I have gone back to the '80s!  Kramer Duke, Ibanez Axstar and the headless Shuker from this site.  Not easy to find but not expensive in the big scheme of bass things and GAS.  Same price as the BB in fact.

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Good stuff! Are you in an 80s band?

Used to be a number of years back, just recently got back into bass again and want set up a gothic punk type thing purely for fun.  The bass is my substitute for not playing rugby anymore!  Loving the bass again but having started a new job in Dec I am not putting in the practice I need to apply to it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

Used to be a number of years back, just recently got back into bass again and want set up a gothic punk type thing purely for fun.  The bass is my substitute for not playing rugby anymore!  Loving the bass again but having started a new job in Dec I am not putting in the practice I need to apply to it.

It's certainly not been easy to keep motivation going during lock down for a lot of us. I've had a couple of months when I hardly touched my basses. Getting a bit of new year momentum going again though now...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

It's certainly not been easy to keep motivation going during lock down for a lot of us. I've had a couple of months when I hardly touched my basses. Getting a bit of new year momentum going again though now...

Completely agree.  I have a lesson booked tomorrow so my tutor will kick my derrière!  35 I pay to him to be accosted!!  Worth every penny when things go right though!

14 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Completely agree.  I have a lesson booked tomorrow so my tutor will kick my derrière!  35 I pay to him to be accosted!!  Worth every penny when things go right though!

I should hope so too if you're forking out that much 😁

I'm paying approx. £1 for each of my lessons with Mark at Talking Bass - the guy is a superb tutor! Ok, so the courses are online and he has absolutely no idea I exist other than my money in his bank account (well apart from the tip he kindly shared about the excellent Minotaur straps I bought a month back, when I emailed him to find out what he was using, as they looked bloody comfortable on his vids!) Being the groupie that I am, I should share that he is currently having a Jan sale of some of his courses (and he has a fair bit of excellent free material too). Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net

Btw - getting back to Yammys for a moment. If you're slapping a BB, I'm finding that the J pup solo'd is much less likely to result in blowing your speaker than the P pup. Dunno if that is common experience?

Edited by Al Krow
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Btw - getting back to Yammys for a moment. If you're slapping a BB, I'm finding that the J pup solo'd is much less likely to result in blowing your speaker than the P pup. Dunno if that is common experience?

It’s been mentioned before but if the pick up is that powerful it might need height adjusted. 

32 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

A headless BX1 from Canada.  I have gone back to the '80s!  Kramer Duke, Ibanez Axstar and the headless Shuker from this site.  Not easy to find but not expensive in the big scheme of bass things and GAS.  Same price as the BB in fact.

BX-1’s are great - was on my list but I settled  for a Hohner B2ADB 

13 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I should hope so too if you're forking out that much 😁

I'm paying approx. £1 for each of my lessons with Mark at Talking Bass - the guy is a superb tutor! Ok, so the courses are online and he has absolutely no idea I exist other than my money in his bank account (well apart from the tip he kindly shared about the excellent Minotaur straps I bought a month back, when I emailed him to find out what he was using, as they looked bloody comfortable on his vids!) Being the groupie that I am, I should share that he is currently having a Jan sale of some of his courses (and he has a fair bit of excellent free material too). Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net

Thank you for all of that, very much appreciated. Always listen to advice!  I will stick with my guy for now and not deviate off the straight and narrow!  But i fear his wrath!  Will look at that link later and tuck it away for reference.  To be honest I haven't picked up the BB for a long time as I am getting the low end that the Sisters of Mercy dish out from the Ibanez.  The two Sandbergs I have easily reach the SoM sound (and the Wake, Calling Dead Red Roses, etc) but I'm loving headless too much.  The Shuker has incredible sustain that I need to control/dampen so the go to is the Ibanez.

Straps!!  Got far too many!

12 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

BX-1’s are great - was on my list but I settled  for a Hohner B2ADB 

Had one of those a few years back but had to sell it unfortunately.  I like them but the Kramer Duke came up for sale while I was looking and went for that instead.  The BX1 is pure indulgence!  Bloody GAS!

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

It doesn't need a Phd to deciphir my name!   Some good ethical points discussed o this thread. However.....why has the BB1100s gone up so much in price?? 😅

Yamaha have always been good, but I think since the BB424 and that series they seem to both be focusing on the BB range and absolutely knocking it out the park in terms of quality at each price point. The X range helped them look a bit more trad and bling at the same time widening their appeal. 

so suddenly Yamaha BB are in and good again and if you can’t afford £2k for the Japanese made BB2024 It kinda makes sense that the older ones would be of more interest. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Had one of those a few years back but had to sell it unfortunately.  I like them but the Kramer Duke came up for sale while I was looking and went for that instead.  The BX1 is pure indulgence!  Bloody GAS!

Duke was up there for me too, Kramer’s have that great old skool feel - Upgraded the Hohner to the EMG’s but kept it passive - and it’s great for lugging around, picking up easily.

Kiesel do some really nice options for a headless, but if I was going to indulge - it would be a status Stealth headless all the way with LED’s of course

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Duke was up there for me too, Kramer’s have that great old skool feel - Upgraded the Hohner to the EMG’s but kept it passive - and it’s great for lugging around, picking up easily.

Kiesel do some really nice options for a headless, but if I was going to indulge - it would be a status Stealth headless all the way with LED’s of course

The Status was too expensive when I looked recently which is why I bought the Shuker off this site.  Wanted headless, graphite and the chance to get a hand made bass.The Kramer is absolutely as you say, small, leave it on the sofa, pick it up as I go by and enjoy!  Unfortunately it hasn't been out - new job commitments are the priority - as the temptation would be too much!    Will look at Kiesel though.....thank you

Pleasure - as ex rugby as well - it’s good to have a different focus.

Status is way expensive and that Shuker looked really really nice, for me the only status I would entertain is the Stealth being all graphite, also being too expensive for me it prevents me buying something!

Hope the job settles

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Pleasure - as ex rugby as well - it’s good to have a different focus.

Status is way expensive and that Shuker looked really really nice, for me the only status I would entertain is the Stealth being all graphite, also being too expensive for me it prevents me buying something!

Hope the job settles

Thank you @Cuzzie appreciate your sentiments.  Yes, ex tight head....bits of my body missing!  Had my wrist broken very badly in Aus a number of years ago and it is now fused so no movement of the writ at all.  Stopped me playing sax so I have now been completely taken over by the bass!

The Shuker was available at the right time and off the BC  forum so quality guaranteed.  There is another one that I want to indulge in as well as GAS takes hold!!

With regards work ... these are tough times for a large percentage of people, certainly musicians so I recognise I am in a fortunate position with a new job.  Need to perform in the early months to prove myself to bosses and colleagues so that is the priority.

Now.....Kiesel........

22 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

The Status was too expensive when I looked recently which is why I bought the Shuker off this site.  Wanted headless, graphite and the chance to get a hand made bass.The Kramer is absolutely as you say, small, leave it on the sofa, pick it up as I go by and enjoy!  Unfortunately it hasn't been out - new job commitments are the priority - as the temptation would be too much!    Will look at Kiesel though.....thank you

Do you hate me @Cuzzie...? What have I done to you?    I have GAS!!  Oh boy.........Kiesel.....I'm in love.......https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/vb4 .............

7 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Thank you @Cuzzie appreciate your sentiments.  Yes, ex tight head....bits of my body missing!  Had my wrist broken very badly in Aus a number of years ago and it is now fused so no movement of the writ at all.  Stopped me playing sax so I have now been completely taken over by the bass!

The Shuker was available at the right time and off the BC  forum so quality guaranteed.  There is another one that I want to indulge in as well as GAS takes hold!!

With regards work ... these are tough times for a large percentage of people, certainly musicians so I recognise I am in a fortunate position with a new job.  Need to perform in the early months to prove myself to bosses and colleagues so that is the priority.

Now.....Kiesel........

I feel for you - I have played 1-15 but the front row is attrition of a whole new kind - I settled on Centre to preserve my face for radio - so many joints are in trouble now.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ProfJames said:

Do you hate me @Cuzzie...? What have I done to you?    I have GAS!!  Oh boy.........Kiesel.....I'm in love.......https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/vb4 .............

Mild dislike only - you front row’s are so easily moulded it’s great fun, but no worries if you were like the front rows I played with, I’ll let you borrow my toiletries and cologne after the game.

I specc’d a bass - had to walk away and forget about it till now

1 minute ago, Cuzzie said:

Mild dislike only - you front row’s are so easily moulded it’s great fun, but no worries if you were like the front rows I played with, I’ll let you borrow my toiletries and cologne after the game.

I specc’d a bass - had to walk away and forget about it till now

Are you implying we smell?? 😆     They look superb.  Have you or anyone else following this thread played one or own one?  Would love to hear one live.  Literally went onto their bass page and that beauty was looking at me!  Trying to entice me!  Get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

Are you implying we smell?? 😆     They look superb.  Have you or anyone else following this thread played one or own one?  Would love to hear one live.  Literally went onto their bass page and that beauty was looking at me!  Trying to entice me!  Get thee behind me Satan!!!!!!!!!!!

Smell good yes - cos you borrowed my poncey preening backs kit! I used to bring a shower gel just the front rows in my team most weeks so they didn’t steal my towel and use it before I had the chance to!

Played a Kiesel guitar - lovely piece of kit, of the bass is half as good Hades awaits

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Isnt that why we all went out and brought HPF’s a couple of years ago, when they were the buzz word 😂

If any of my basses  is going to do that its going to be my 425. Bloody leathal bass lol. 

Edited by dave_bass5

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Isnt that why we all went out and brought HPF’s a couple of years ago, when they were the buzz word 😂

If any of my basses  is going to do that its going to be my 425. Bloody leathal bass lol. 

Yeah the BB 425 is about as kick-donkey a*ss as they come!! Oh wait, that one you've got was mine (can I have it back please, now you've given up being a bass player? 😁)

In my case I've got the BB 1025 pups set up to work perfectly and sound just great for finger style. But obviously slapping adds a further dimension in terms of peaks!

So actually a limiter rather than an HPF is what the doctor ordered...and I've got my Becos set up at the end of my pedal board to provide limiter duties to deal with exactly such volume spikes. (Btw that's another item that I need to give credit to Mark at TB for reviewing, as well as your good self of course!)

Edited by Al Krow
Defeating the automatic anti-swear software, bit like VW did on their emissions...:)

28 minutes ago, ProfJames said:

I take it if you're getting all these headless basses and are also into 80s music then you're very possibly a bit of slap guru too?

37 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I take it if you're getting all these headless basses and are also into 80s music then you're very possibly a bit of slap guru too?

We could easily fall out!!!!!  😄   Have never liked slap, at a push Mark King on a couple of numbers but would never play slap or entertain it...!   It's not me, respect people that do like it but really not my style.  Les Pattinson (Echo and the B'men) , Phil Lynott, bit of Lemmy........ Curt Whatsisname - Tears for Fears....