Al Krow

The Yamaha BB mega-thread

13 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

The 43X series has essentially the same pickups as the 73x and P series, its what made me finally decide to go for the 435 instead of forking out for a higher range model..... And they sound killer! 

image006.jpg

They do sound great. The pups are indeed close but not quite the same - a little higher end in the more expensive basses.

YGD V5 (Alnico V) in the 434/5

YGD V7 (Alnico V) in the 734A/5A & P34/5

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

They do sound great. The pups are indeed close but not quite the same - a little higher end in the more expensive basses.

YGD V5 (Alnico V) in the 434/5

YGD V7 (Alnico V) in the 734A/5A & P34/5

Well that's the thing, they're different in name, but essentially the same. I exchanged emails with the Yamaha UK Guitars Marketing Manager to find out more, and as you can see in the table above, the only differences are that the V7 have enameled wire, whilst the V5 has vinyl, and the V5 is slightly higher resistance. He said the resistance is just to take into account the slight wire difference and body construction; in practice they sound the same (or at least that's the aim). 

This is what made me decide to go for the 435, the pickups are basically the same as on the top end models. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Well that's the thing, they're different in name, but essentially the same. I exchanged emails with the Yamaha UK Guitars Marketing Manager to find out more, and as you can see in the table above, the only differences are that the V7 have enameled wire, whilst the V5 has vinyl, and the V5 is slightly higher resistance. He said the resistance is just to take into account the slight wire difference and body construction; in practice they sound the same (or at least that's the aim). 

This is what made me decide to go for the 435, the pickups are basically the same as on the top end models. 😊

Probably the wood or treatment then, (i dont really buy in to that but that's for another thread) but my 435 sounded very different to my P34, both with the same stings on them (although P34 slightly older, but hardly used).

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Probably the wood or treatment then, (i dont really buy in to that but that's for another thread) but my 435 sounded very different to my P34, both with the same stings on them (although P34 slightly older, but hardly used).

Interesting. How so in terms of the difference in tone? I must admit I wouldn't have expected a great deal of difference.

If there is, I suspect that any difference in the pups are going to make a bigger difference to tone than the wood treatment. But the bigger factor, if anything, is likely to be wood and construction - you have a solid alder body in the 434/5 but alder /maple/alder laminate in the higher end models.

Can't believe you found a 435 which you loved, for just £399 new, and which weighed in at just 9 lbs and have returned it! 

30 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Interesting! I guess for me, what the guy said, plus looking at the pickup chart, have me confidence that the V5 pickups are decent enough. 

30 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Interesting! I guess for me, what the guy said, plus looking at the pickup chart, have me confidence that the V5 pickups are decent enough. 

6 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I much preferred the 435 tone.

7 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I much preferred the 435 tone.

I love the sound of it, I have to say! Out of interest, how come you sent yours back? Sounds like it was a very lightweight one too! 

Just now, TRBboy said:

I love the sound of it, I have to say! Out of interest, how come you sent yours back? Sounds like it was a very lightweight one too! 

It was light, and had no issues. I just felt with things the way they are, it was a bit of an extravagance, and im still not convinced i need another 5 string. My heart still lays with 4 string basses. I ddnt want another unused bass sitting around. I also fidn the more basses i have the harder it is to chose one. 

I would have (probably still will) sold the 425 to soften the blow, but even so. the 435 only cost £399 as it was ex display at Dawnsons. If anyone is looking for one, keep an eye on their website for it to be re listed.

As it was i was put on a 3 day week from today, so right decision.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, TRBboy said:

The 43X series has essentially the same pickups as the 73x and P series, its what made me finally decide to go for the 435 instead of forking out for a higher range model..... And they sound killer! 

image006.jpg

That diagram says they have different wire coating, wrap material and DC resistance, so not entirely the same. They could well sound identical though for all I know!

39 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

That diagram says they have different wire coating, wrap material and DC resistance, so not entirely the same. They could well sound identical though for all I know!

Yeah, as I said before, those are the only different things, but the magnets, bobbins, and all the other stuff is basically the same. I'm not sure how much difference enamel vs urethane wrap coating makes, but the lead wire cloth vs vinyl covering is purely cosmetic. 

Whatever, they sound great! 😊👍

Posted (edited)
On 13/03/2020 at 20:26, dave_bass5 said:

Edited by IanA

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, IanA said:
On 13/03/2020 at 20:26, dave_bass5 said:

well unfortunately that was a very short romance, the 4.5 kg weight was just too much for my shoulders even with a Gruv Gear strap, so off to Bass Direct it went yesterday 😕

What’s this about? I never said that.🤔

Edited by dave_bass5

25 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

What’s this about? I never said that.🤔

Sorry I think I must have made an error when posting... I will delete. The comments were from me!

well unfortunately that was a very short romance, the 4.5 kg weight was just too much for my shoulders even with a Gruv Gear strap, so off to Bass Direct it went yesterday 😕

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, IanA said:

Sorry I think I must have made an error when posting... I will delete. The comments were from me!

No problem, i thought that might be the case.

As it i is my BB435 went back. Lovely bass but i just didnt feel I shouldn’t  be spending that money with what’s going on in the world at the moment. I might need it to buy food at some point rather than have yet another bass. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IanA said:

well unfortunately that was a very short romance, the 4.5 kg weight was just too much for my shoulders even with a Gruv Gear strap, so off to Bass Direct it went yesterday 😕

It is kinda frustrating when the weight is just that bit too much on the P34/5. It was the exact same reason that it all three of owners of the P35 I had moved it on (at just a shade over 10 lbs). All three of us otherwise rated it as a fabulous bass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

No problem, i thought that might be the case.

As it i is my BB435 went back. Lovely bass but i just didnt feel I shouldn’t  be spending that money with what’s going on in the world at the moment. I might need it to buy food at some point rather than have yet another bass. 

Just raid the neighbours' pantry! Apparently there are overflowing larders up and down the country to match the empty shelves being met by our health workers after their long shifts :angry2:

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

It is kinda frustrating when the weight is just that bit too much on the P34/5. It was the exact same reason that it all three of owners of the P35 I had moved it on (at just a shade over 10 lbs). All three of us otherwise rated it as a fabulous bass.

They really are superb basses, had it been 4kg ish it would have stayed without doubt. If there were a lighter version I would be all over it but I am guessing the wood combos would probably make that difficult.

I have replaced it with a Sterling H which tips the scales at 4.1kg and the difference is very noticeable indeed. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, IanA said:

They really are superb basses, had it been 4kg ish it would have stayed without doubt. If there were a lighter version I would be all over it but I am guessing the wood combos would probably make that difficult.

I have replaced it with a Sterling H which tips the scales at 4.1kg and the difference is very noticeable indeed. 

Interesting you mention that - the bass that Dave just returned, a lovely BB435, tipped the scales at 4.1kgs also. But that definitely does seem to be at the lighter end of the current Yammy BBs

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Well...I’m in trouble with the BB police. Something inexplicable has happened...and it’s much lighter than 4.5kg.

• Like 1

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Well...I’m in trouble with the BB police. Something inexplicable has happened...and it’s much lighter than 4.5kg.

Is it one of the current 3 series Andy or one of the older ones?

Just now, Al Krow said:

Is it one of the current 3 series Andy or one of the older ones?

It’s not a bb at all...which has upset my brain. 

And it’s not a yam. 

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

It’s not a bb at all...which has upset my brain. 

And it’s not a yam. 

Hahaha...that might explain it 😁

Yup I too could start prattling on about Ibanez or softer wood Sandbergs which are all v light.

BUUUT technically this is a Yammy thread AND still your true home, dear chap, even if you do go off and get expensive, albeit still lightweight, clones of Sire V7/P7 basses😁