Why become a member? ×

** Sold ** 59 P-bass (refin otherwise original)
£4000

Andy

For sale (no trades sorry) is my 59 P-bass which I purchased in 2010 from sixshooter on this site.

The original post is still easy to trace ('1959 PBass feeler' posted 26/11/2009) and gives a really comprehensive overview of the bass.

This bass is just a fantastic player! - great action and an awesome tone.

Sixshooter had this bass refinished and did a wonderful job as you can see from the photos.

When I brought the bass I had to have the bottom 3 frets replaced as they were completely worn down - Martyn at SEI / The Bass Gallery did this for me.

This includes what certainly appears to be the original 50's tweed case (a little shaky in it's old age!)

[attachment=241049:IMG_1603.JPG][attachment=241050:IMG_1605.JPG][attachment=241051:IMG_1609.JPG][attachment=241052:IMG_1610.JPG][attachment=241053:IMG_1608.JPG][attachment=241054:IMG_1607.JPG][attachment=241056:IMG_1611.JPG][attachment=241057:IMG_1613.JPG][attachment=241058:IMG_1614.JPG]

Edited by Andy

Oh man, I nearly bought this from Sixshooter back when it was for sale the first time.
Things transpired against me and it was always 'the Precision that got away', to the point where I was talking about it the other day haha.

Absolutely gutted that I can't go for it now (buying a house, so no way around it), will have to make do with my '71 P.....which is amazing, but still :)

GLWTS......I'd quite like to know who takes it, you know, in case things change in the future, keep track of it etc :)

Si

P.s.
Regarding the refinish, I'm sure it was Joe White who did it:

www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk

Thanks Sibob - how did you know that??

- Steve did tell me at the time that it was Joe White. I don't have a receipt for the work but happy to take more close up photos of the finish that anyone would like to see.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1489962088' post='3261167']

Absolutely gutted that I can't go for it now (buying a house, so no way around it), will have to make do with my '71 P.....which is amazing, but still :)

GLWTS......I'd quite like to know who takes it, you know, in case things change in the future, keep track of it etc :)

[/quote]

Weird irony Si - I'm having to sell this for a property deal and you can't buy it because of one! I'll let you know where it goes. Give me a shout if you're in the area and want to see it before it goes.

Andy

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1489955351' post='3261105']
:lol: this is replaceable ??

(I know it is, but you know what I mean...? ;) )
[/quote]

:blush: fair comment - and apologies for what's a poor choice of words on my part (could easily have come across as sounding flippant or arrogant and definitely wasn't meant in that way)
What I mean is that if it's not the bass or basses that you play/gig regularly and if it is possible (however difficult or costly!) to find another like it in the future I can live without it right now.
Having said that I've heard lots of stories of the basses that BCers have always regretted selling and I'm sure I'll be joining them very soon!

[quote name='Andy' timestamp='1489969142' post='3261206']
Thanks Sibob - how did you know that??

- Steve did tell me at the time that it was Joe White. I don't have a receipt for the work but happy to take more close up photos of the finish that anyone would like to see.
[/quote]

I got to the point of going over to Sixshooters house to try it out, and he was talking about the process of refinishing it with Joe, was really interesting. Apparently many of the marks, scratches, blemishes etc were still present when it was taken back to natural, so he refinished the sunburst around them essentially. So what you have, for the most-part, is a refinished bass, but the relic'ing is kind of as original as it can be :)
I left his to mull it over, and got cold feet over the price.....silly, should have had it when I had less commitments haha.

May well take you up on your offer if I can get to Wimbledon some time soon :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1490011622' post='3261374']
I got to the point of going over to Sixshooters house to try it out, and he was talking about the process of refinishing it with Joe, was really interesting. Apparently any of the marks, scratches, blemishes etc were still present when it was taken back to natural, so he refinished the sunburst around them essentially. So what you have, for the most-part, is a refinished bass, but the relic'ing is kind of as original as it can be :)
I left his to mull it over, and got cold feet over the price.....silly, should have had it when I had less commitments haha.

May well take you up on your offer if I can get to Wimbledon some time soon :)

Si
[/quote]
You have an excellent memory Si!
As you say, he's worked the finish around the original areas of damage and wear. I'll have to get some better quality close ups loaded up on here to show the quality of the work.
Yes - do drop by if you have a chance - as you know it's just a great experience to play this one :)

I just played this bass today and words will never do it justice. It's simply the best, or at the very least joint best, pre CBS P bass I've ever played (and anyone who knows me knows that's a fair few :) )

The neck is divine - perfect, but most importantly the tone is super solid and everything you'd ever want from a killer vintage P. This bass is worth every praise.

Andy, think twice my friend ;)

Edited by Chiliwailer

• 1 month later...