Why become a member? ×

Your most interesting piece of bass/musical equipment

James Nada

Just for fun.
What's your most interesting piece of bass or musical equipment?

It could be an ultra rare Musicman prototype, a guitar stand you stole off Mark King, an amplifier you hand built on the 70s, the plectrum you caught when Slash threw it off stage...

You get the idea, the story may be more interesting than the item if taken at face value.

Edited by James Nada

I'll throw this in

[IMG]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/badgerpigdog/IMG_20170302_201342959.jpg[/IMG]

My left handed p-body built up for me as a righty. It's more difficult to play than it should be, doesn't sound as good as my proper Fender, but for performances it's interesting to anyone who notices.

[quote name='James Nada' timestamp='1488486392' post='3249448']
I'll throw this in

[IMG]http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww127/badgerpigdog/IMG_20170302_201342959.jpg[/IMG]

My left handed p-body built up for me as a righty. It's more difficult to play than it should be, doesn't sound as good as my proper Fender, but for performances it's interesting to anyone who notices.
[/quote]

This is a bit sore to look at. Makes me sort of uncomfortable. I like it though... I think.

My first Gibson Thunderbird was bought for me by my girlfriend at the time (nice). She said the guy in the shop told her it had been custom-built for Floyd London of Glasgow band The Almighty. It's stamped on the back of the headstock "For Promotional Use". Gibson USA confirmed it was from their custom shop, but didn't have a record of who it was made for.

About 15 years later I came across Mr London's email address, and wrote to ask him if this could be true. After a bit of describing it turned out that it had been his - and he sent me a pic of himself rocking it up at Manchester Arena with the bass, supporting Alice Cooper. :)

Got a Peavey Resolite, a chambered PJ with 2+2 headstock.

Only 4 were made,2 for Europe/2 for USA. John Fields who ran Peavey USA mechanical engineering dept has one,John Fera,designer of Peaveys digital effects has the other. Friend of mine plays in a band with Fera and tried for years to get his to sell,only to find out last month his old boss John Fields had one :) So both are accounted for in the States. No idea who's got the 4th one.

I used to own the Jedson Telecaster that appears in the opening scenes of The Great Rock n Roll Swindle, it was given to me by a chap who worked on the film, stupidly as a spotty teenager I wanted a bass so I swapped it for a Precision copy with a mate who wanted a guitar, neither of us saw it as on any significance at the time, it was just a cheap guitar!

That'd have to be my Martin Parlour from circa 1870, I even have the original hard case which is shaped like a coffin :)

It was a gift from a friend who used to own Roka's in Denmark St. He took it on a p/x in the 90's and gave it to me 10 years ago after I fell in love with it. Not only does it sound very special, it's comfortable for me due to nerve damage.

I'll never, ever, sell this one. It hangs above my chair at home.

Edit - Shame about the later bridge, one day I'd love to get that put right. It has nylon strings back on it so that ugly one is no longer needed.

[URL=http://s1381.photobucket.com/user/chiliwailer/media/IMG_2112_zpsgjbr62lb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah227/chiliwailer/IMG_2112_zpsgjbr62lb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='HengistPod' timestamp='1488540107' post='3249767']
My first Gibson Thunderbird was bought for me by my girlfriend at the time (nice). She said the guy in the shop told her it had been custom-built for Floyd London of Glasgow band The Almighty. It's stamped on the back of the headstock "For Promotional Use". Gibson USA confirmed it was from their custom shop, but didn't have a record of who it was made for.

About 15 years later I came across Mr London's email address, and wrote to ask him if this could be true. After a bit of describing it turned out that it had been his - and he sent me a pic of himself rocking it up at Manchester Arena with the bass, supporting Alice Cooper. :)
[/quote]

Cool story :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211966-just-bought-a-vintage-fake-now-refurbished/page__hl__skol303%20vintage%20guitar"][b]This guitar.[/b][/url]

Acquired for £20 off Gumtree and turned out to be a mid-'70s Japanese-made 'lawsuit' copy. Bought from a student who was given it by a relative. Had been painted with white emulsion and drawn on with a sharpie pen when I received it.

I'm no guitarist, but it plays great :)

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1488550314' post='3249928']
Not a famous player but my Roscoe Century Signature was built specifically for NAMM 2014. Consequently it is (to me at least) a most stunning piece to look but also a player.
[/quote]

That's cool, I hear you. My Lull PJ4 was built for NAMM 15 and I get a kick out of the fact that it's written in the neck pocket. Little insignificant detail realty, but still fun all the same. And it's a keeper :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1488554446' post='3249998']
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211966-just-bought-a-vintage-fake-now-refurbished/page__hl__skol303%20vintage%20guitar"][b]This guitar.[/b][/url]

Acquired for £20 off Gumtree and turned out to be a mid-'70s Japanese-made 'lawsuit' copy. Bought from a student who was given it by a relative. Had been painted with white emulsion and drawn on with a sharpie pen when I received it.

I'm no guitarist, but it plays great :)
[/quote]

Great link, nicely done :)