Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

kevbass

Hello fellow bassists,

Just wanted some advice from your goodselves really, Im going travelling at the end of the year, for about 6 to 7 months, maybe longer, mainly aps Iaround the USA, and for this reason, Ive been making a point of not getting involved in any long term musical projects or bands as I wouldnt be able to commit come December January time. This got me to thinking, I have a real nice doublebuck which is not being played as much as it should be because I only play it at home or on the occasional jam with buddys. Now I'd feel a little unsafe taking it abroad with me when I eventually go, so I was thinking of getting an epiphone T-Bird, arctic white, to take with me to play around with whilst im abroad, so this means that my warwick is going to be sitting in England for 6 months being unplayed, and it doesnt get a great deal of playtime as it is. So do I sell it, by the epiphone and put the rest of the money towards my travels which I could do with, or do I keep the warwick at home for half a year until I get back.

what do you reckon? It feels wasteful having a bass of that calibre and it not being used as much as it should be

Leave the $$ with a reliable and trustworthy friend who would at least get some use ou of it and look after it properly. I'm taking care of a pair of Stingray Vs for a mate of mine who is working in Azerbhajan at the moment. I rarely take them out of the house. Certainly wouldn't gig them, unless I had his blessing. However, they get some use, have had decent strings put on them and he knows they're better off with me than sitting in a Lok 'n' Store.

Don;t buy a bass here to take wth you. Wait til you get to the states and buy something there- take advntage of that exchange rate. You'll get something nice for your money and it'll be an extra special momento of your days travelling.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='32189' date='Jul 15 2007, 08:11 PM']Don;t buy a bass here to take wth you. Wait til you get to the states and buy something there- take advntage of that exchange rate. You'll get something nice for your money and it'll be an extra special momento of your days travelling.[/quote]

If you do your homework, you might be able to buy a Warwick or similar here to take with you, and then sell or p/ex it for more than you paid for it here? Check the prices out carefully.

Also a big +1 for buying a bass over there and bringing it back - crazy not to.

Hamster

Please be aware that you will not be allowed to take your bass on any flights with you as cabin baggage, no matter what you have paid for your ticket. This means it has to go in the hold which means it needs a very very good flight case. Do not, DO NOT, ever put anything on it saying "fragile" as this will allow the airline or baggage handlers to smash it up with impunity. Get it properly insured not just on your travel insurance and certainly never rely on the airline as they have lots of fine print, basically they will treat your broken instrument as clothes and will pay you a compensation claim based on the weight rather than the value....

If this sounds a little extreme, I have first hand bitter experience of travelling with my Spector.

Richard

If your going to sell teh Warwick dont do it quickly and make a hoooge loss. Better to keep it so its waiting for you when you get back.
Unless dosh shortage is a prob...

If I were in your position I'd keep the Warwick (especially if it fits you and you play well together, you WILL regret selling it if it does!) !

(buying) Hang onto your dosh and get a Gibson or Fender (in a HSC for the return journey) while in the US. Enjoy it while your there and sell it when you get back. If you choose wisely you could go part way to funding your trip upon your return!

:)

I wouldnt even go for something like that, id go for something really dirty and cheap then youve lost nothing if its stolen/broken.

You could just have a break from bass though. I had a couple of months break from it recently and found a lot of new ideas and inspirations came when i got back to it.

[quote name='Toasted' post='32253' date='Jul 15 2007, 10:38 PM']Don't take a thunderbird on your travels.

1) They're massive
2) They're heavy
3) They're massive
4) They're heavy[/quote]

MB1. :) ............. Ill second that emotion!

Schecter Diamond extreme series 4 or 5 string...superb basses and you'll feel more comfortable with them then the epi - trust me on that!!!

selling from £179 - £250 depending on where you get one and what day (Sound Control).

[url="http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp"]http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp[/url]

or this: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schecter-Custom-Stiletto-4-Bass-Active-EMG-pickups_W0QQitemZ120142418841QQihZ002QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Schecter-Custom-Stil...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

had on of these, great bass with fantastic electrics and hardware and sounded superb!

Thanks for the advice from all involved, my travel plans are now sooner and I will be going in 3 months time, I have decided to sell, she's not getting the playtime she deserves and I'll pick up something nice whilst out in the states, until then I Have a couple more basses I can play until I leave.