Why become a member? ×

EB MM 4 String 3 EQ - tiny chrome problem

Musicman20

I have a tiny bit of a problem! A little 'crack' or flaking off has occured on the neck plate next to a screw on my 4 yr old bass. Its in immaculate condition, and been in its case since before this happened....so why has it happened?

Is it something anyone else has heard of?Will it just be the chrome? And if so should I leave it alone. Im getting in touch with EB now...well out of warranty though.

My last one did this as well...and it was replaced due to its age.

It just seems a bit mental to happen twice to me...is it just chrome and not tha actual plate?

I have the same on my Stingray - a crack through the neckplate, not just the chrome. There's no sign of any over-zealous tightening, so it might be a generic problem or maybe a batch of faulty plates. Let me know how you get on with getting a replacement plate with the same serial number on it :)

[quote name='budget bassist' post='310677' date='Oct 20 2008, 06:28 PM']considering you've already contacted strings and things and are getting a new neckplate delivered i don't really see why this thread is all that relevant?[/quote]
how is it not relevant?? he is asking why is this happening, and this is a discussion forum :)

so you'v never had something that has broke, and you'v never wanted to know if it was a common problem or anything?? if it was me that it happened to twice before, id certainly wanna know if i was just incredibly unlucky, or if it was a common fault personally

They're only chrome plated steel plates if I remember correctly, all it needs is a little bit of grease when it was being plated for it not to take very well. Chromium is a hard metal as well, so I suspect it's a bit brittle when it's under a mm thick. It's a bit like chipping paint off surfaces in chunks when it hasn't stuck too well, especially when there's a few layers of paint.

Hamster's sounds like a faulty plate to be honest.

Edited by Buzz

If it's just a plating issue, try taking off the plate and sending it to a company (preferably local to you) to have it stripped and re-chromed. That'd keep the Serial# intact and they could plate it thicker for you...
Shouldn't cost too much.
Electroplating and anodising companies are relatively common. How do you think old MGs, Healeys and E types get their brightwork re-done after 40-odd years?

BTW, from when was the serial on the neck-plate? My 1990 SR5 has it stamped into the bridge...

Hey

Cheers guys....

Yeah I was just interested in what people thought thats all....if its just the chrome or what...

Im just waiting for a reply off Strings And Things to see whats going on now...hopefully getting a new plate...they were very helpful and friendly though which is great :)

Last time it happened I got a new plate...with a new number...and they made note on their systems...so im assuming thats the same with this one.

Thanks anyway

Gareth

• 3 months later...