Why become a member? ×

Ohh, 'old' Fender

Mr. Foxen

Hah! I thought that user name looked familiar, and when I started reading all became clear.

A friend phoned me up yesterday asking about his bass - with an old neck and Squier body. I haven't seen it, but from his description I gave him the info on this. So yeah, from the description he gave this is kosher. I reckon the neck is probably 1976/1977 (Precisions used the older tuners occasionally during these years).

I pointed him towards this forum in his hunt for a Rickenfaker, so maybe he'll chip in! :)

Hi everyone
The bass in question belongs to me and I have been directed here by musky . Ebay don't seem to like me so I am posting it for sale here. There seemed to be a lot of interest in the bass at £300, obviously I don't know what I've got. I am also happy to swap for a good rickenfaker preferably with a through neck something like,ibanez, aria, grecko, univox,electra with an authentic sound. The bass is basically an old early 70s neck on a squire body which I bought second hand 14 years ago. Contact me if you are interested.

I think that's a neck I recently bought and returned (was the seller called 'Scorpioattack'?). He was a nice straight up guy and refunded my payment without trouble, but the neck - a '77 - has had a shocking refret/refin and was virtually unplayable, even with a very high action (certainly above the 10 fret or so anyway).
If it is him - he said he was going to put it on a Squire body and keep as a backup - I hope he has mentioned the problem refret in the listing, as he is more than aware of it.
Chris

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='two worlds collide' post='309245' date='Oct 18 2008, 02:12 PM']Hi everyone
The bass in question belongs to me and I have been directed here by musky . Ebay don't seem to like me so I am posting it for sale here. There seemed to be a lot of interest in the bass at £300, obviously I don't know what I've got. I am also happy to swap for a good rickenfaker preferably with a through neck something like,ibanez, aria, grecko, univox,electra with an authentic sound. The bass is basically an old early 70s neck on a squire body which I bought second hand 14 years ago. Contact me if you are interested.[/quote]

Hi there newbie
Is this the item I described above? If not, many apologies, just a strange coincidence. If so.... :)
Chris

[quote name='two worlds collide' post='309256' date='Oct 18 2008, 02:41 PM']No I've had this for nearly 10 years.[/quote]

Or 14 years as you said in the first post? Why did ebay remove your listing?

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='309259' date='Oct 18 2008, 02:46 PM']Or 14 years as you said in the first post? Why did ebay remove your listing?[/quote]

I can help there Chris. :)

It's the Squier body that he's had for 14 years - the neck came attached to a 'home made' body, bought from a shop in Leyton/leytonstone 10 years ago. And it was ebay that removed the listing for reasons as yet unknown.

Oh and his ebay username is ravenchorus. He's based in Kent.

[quote name='Musky' post='309288' date='Oct 18 2008, 03:20 PM']I can help there Chris. :)

It's the Squier body that he's had for 14 years - the neck came attached to a 'home made' body, bought from a shop in Leyton/leytonstone 10 years ago. And it was ebay that removed the listing for reasons as yet unknown.

Oh and his ebay username is ravenchorus. He's based in Kent.[/quote]

Suspicious f**ker aren't I :huh:
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='two worlds collide' post='309245' date='Oct 18 2008, 02:12 PM']I am also happy to swap for a good rickenfaker preferably with a through neck something like,ibanez, aria, grecko, univox,electra with an authentic sound.[/quote]
Go & read this thread for everything you'll ever need to know about Rick copies:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=270"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=270[/url]

To give you a head start - from your list: Greco, Univox & Electra were non-UK brands (Greco's Japanese domestic market, the other 2 are US) and are virtually unknown over here, an Ibanez will sound nothing like the real thing - they have Gibson-type mudbuckers, and all the through-neck Arias have long-since been badged up & sold as Rickenbackers, cos they're near-as-bugger-it identical! :)

Seriously, don't get too hung up on it being neck-through, they're rarer, dearer, and quite often much less playable, because you can't shim the necks down. I've seen some through-necks with horrendous & uncorrectable action.

Anyway - welcome to BC and good luck selling your bass!

Jon.