Why become a member? ×

Cool Christmas & New Year's Eve Gigs

blue

We're at Pillars on 12/23. It's an old church converted into a high end club.

Just a great looking room, lots of wood work, stained glass and antique chandiliers. Small but beautiful stage and balcony.And 5 minutes from my West Bend condo.

12/31 Ariba's, it like our bands home. Lots of friends and family.

It's our 5th year playing New Year's Eve there. And get this, it's a 2:00 - 6:00 gig. So we have the rest of the evening to do whatever we want. A 25 minute commute.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482188667' post='3198398']
We're at Pillars on 12/23. It's an old church converted into a high end club.

Just a great looking room, lots of wood work, stained glass and antique chandiliers. Small but beautiful stage and balcony.And 5 minutes from my West Bend condo.
[/quote]

Sounds terrific!

We had our pre-Christmas gig last Saturday in Cropredy, next gig is New Year's Eve in my local pub, just mile down the road. Ten pm until everyone is too tired to carry on, which could be well into 2017!

Edited by FinnDave

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1482190588' post='3198419']
We had our Xmas gig on December 10th..... same saturday every year.... then we get a month off B)

Back to the gigs on Jan 7th.... Skegby Scooter Club already sold out!
[/quote]

Cool,

January is a slow month for a lot of us in the bar band business.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1482190959' post='3198421']
We had our pre-Christmas gig last Saturday in Crcopredy, next gig is New Year's Eve in my local pub, just mile down the road. Ten pm until everyone is too tired to carry on, which could be well into 2017!
[/quote]

Nice

Sounds like fun and close to home.

Blue

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1482190588' post='3198419']
We had our Xmas gig on December 10th..... same saturday every year.... then we get a month off B)

Back to the gigs on Jan 7th.... Skegby Scooter Club already sold out!
[/quote]

It's nice for bands to know they always have a steady anual booking for the holidays.

Blue

Friday night 23rd last of the year, pub called the Nelson near Twickenham, West London, always go down well there, plenty of dancers usually so hopefully more of the same. Band made a decision not to do NYE this year, well the singer and hubby guitard decided to go away so that was that. Looking for a gig if anyone needs a bassist, could do with the money to be totally blunt. Then it's on to a busy January, 3 weekends from 4 we have Friday and Saturday gigs so that makes up for it! Have a good one people and stay safe!!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482191105' post='3198424']
Nice

Sounds like fun and close to home.

Blue
[/quote]

Close for me, not so close for the rest of the band as they live in or near Swindon (25 miles west of me). But the last 6 weeks I have had to drive to or through Swindon, so it all evens out.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1482191758' post='3198429']

Close for me, not so close for the rest of the band as they live in or near Swindon (25 miles west of me). But the last 6 weeks I have had to drive to or through Swindon, so it all evens out.
[/quote]

Dave, Last Saturday night we had our first snow storm. Took me 20 mins to get to the gig before the snow.An hour and a half drive home. :(

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1482190959' post='3198421']
We had our pre-Christmas gig last Saturday in Cropredy...
[/quote]

Cropredy means only one thing to me, and that's Fairport Convention. It's a brave band that plays in their back yard :D You didn't see Dave Pegg in the audience did you? I believe he lives just down the road in Banbury.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1482192709' post='3198438']
Dave, Last Saturday night we had our first snow storm. Took me 20 mins to get to the gig before the snow.An hour and a half drive home. :(

Blue
[/quote]

No snow here (yet) but I got used to the white stuff as I lived in Finland for 16 years. The drive to and from last Saturday's gig was made slower and more difficult because of widespread fog. What should have been a 40 minute drive took about an hour each way.

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1482192813' post='3198439']
Cropredy means only one thing to me, and that's Fairport Convention. It's a brave band that plays in their back yard :D You didn't see Dave Pegg in the audience did you? I believe he lives just down the road in Banbury.
[/quote]
The pub we played in is the one featured on the cover of Fairport Nine. Small pub but a long tradition of music there. I'm afraid I wouldn't recognise Dave Pegg unless he was pointed out to me, so I couldn't say whether he was there putting up with our noisy old blues or not!

NYE gig at a party organised by the Hungarian community in Beeston, Nottingham. Why is it cool? I expect various members of the dance troupe we worked with this year to attend, so there will be dancing. Also, we are kicking off the party, so we get to play early then get to enjoy the after-show, which makes a big change from the usual loading out at 11.30, trying to avoid parking violations.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1482195114' post='3198447']
We have a private booking on the 28th at a venue some 170miles away with a paid overnight stay.
We head back home on the 29th for another gig that evening and that's us done for 2016.
[/quote]

Seems like a nice way to end the year.

Blue

[quote name='Ashweb' timestamp='1482192813' post='3198439']
[/quote]

Peggy lives in Cropredy.
He wouldn't have been there as he's out on tour with The Dylan Project at the moment. Saw them in Cardiff last Wednesday, very good too.

Xmas eve probably not so cool, a working men's club type place in a town centre so I'm not sure how many will be out that night, could go either way. Played same venue a couple of months back and I don't really think they were our sort of crowd. Worst case scenario is it will be a warm up for the next gig and we will still be on better money than usual.
NYE however promises to be a good one. Proper music oriented venue, they seem to like us since they decided to put extra money up to have us on in addition to the DJ (its usually just DJ only on NYE) which was a nice gesture and from the last couple of times weve played there we can usually get a good sound from the room. Will pay around twice what we usually get from a pub gig, can live with that.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482236433' post='3198664']
Saturday's gig got cancelled by us due to the tiny area they wanted us in and the pay cut to play a shorter set.

NYE is a private golf club party, one set straight through for 1h 45 mins, no slow songs.

Why is it cool? It's more than twice the pay we normally get :D
[/quote]

Good call.

I can deal with performing in small spaces. But pay cuts are unacceptable under most circumstances.

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1482258980' post='3199030']
I think we would have done it at the full price somehow but we won't be taken for a ride, you've taught me well blue :)
[/quote]

I'm sure the owner was on the up and up. However, business is business.

And really if there's anytime of the year when even owners are generous to bands it's Christmas & New Year's Eve.

If we have good crowds and liquor sales the owners always throw us an extra hundred bucks over our fee.

Tips should be good too. Ooooops, you guys are sort of down on tips.😁

Blue

Edited by blue

Playing Xmas eve at the Cross Keys in Knaresborough - nothing especially cool about that.

The REALLY cool NYE gig is the mighty Dirtbombs playing the Magic Stick (I think) in Detroit - their first gig in a while. Best live band ever - wish I could be there.