Why become a member? ×

NBD - Lakland 55-01

Sibob

2016 has been fun!
Started with a love affair with my Fodera Matt Garrison, amazing bass, would quite happily own another Imperial one day. But our little boy came along in April and so moved it on simply to be proactive/prepared.

Still wanted a 5er, so bought a very cool Xotic XJ-1T. Again, amazing bass, would own another, but currently buying a house and with my '71 Precision doing 70% of my gigs, having £2k wrapped up in a 5er seemed excessive for now.
So that week a few weeks ago.

Giving myself a £1K max limit for a new 5er, I was intent on a MM Sterling or Stingray 5, albeit used due to my budget. However due to little man, buying said house, gigging, work etc....I quickly tired of the trawling of used sites looking for an MM with the right spec, right price and right condition.
In the back of my mind, as I know a couple of great players who use them, was the Lakland 55-01. Simple, understated, very well priced (even new).
I'm waffling, basically, because I simply needed a good solid 5er to get on with, I plumped for a 55-01 from The Gallery yesterday. I was real lucky that it was the spec I wanted, and had come into stock the day before.

Finish is their 'vintage cream' (or aged Olympic White) & Rosewood:

It weighs 9.12lbs (4.14kg) on a set of digital parcel scales, perfectly fine for a 5string I think.

First gig will be Thursday, very much looking forward to it :)
Everyone at The Gallery were brilliant, lovely chat with Martin.

Si

Very classy looking bass Si!
I reckon a MM Sterling 5er would be a nicer bass, but this will be a lot more versatile for sure.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it!

I had totally forgotten, but I had a shot on a Skyline 44-02 many many moons ago and was very impressed with it.

Eude

Looks a nice bass - I like simple design and controls too
Having a now grown up son, I also agree with the finance and family / work / music / gigging life balance thing
It's tricky, packing all those things in to life, but you've gone about things the best way, I feel, and got yourself a good quality, good value bass there ...... your offspring can always buy you a brand new MM 5er when they are rich ;)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1482144735' post='3197917']
Very classy looking bass Si!
I reckon a MM Sterling 5er would be a nicer bass, but this will be a lot more versatile for sure.
Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it!

I had totally forgotten, but I had a shot on a Skyline 44-02 many many moons ago and was very impressed with it.

Eude
[/quote]

Yeah I would have loved a Sterling 5er, but you just don't see them 2nd hand, and the couple I've seen previously were snapped up, but had maple fingerboards (ugh).
But with this coming in cheaper than a used MM ever would, i'm very happy with the amount of bass I have for the money.
Yeah I had a 44-02 Deluxe in a past life, nice bass, but just wasn't very 'me' (cherryburst quilted maple top, super plain maple fingerboard (can you tell I don't like maple f/bs?)).

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1482146397' post='3197942']
Looks a nice bass - I like simple design and controls too
Having a now grown up son, I also agree with the finance and family / work / music / gigging life balance thing
It's tricky, packing all those things in to life, but you've gone about things the best way, I feel, and got yourself a good quality, good value bass there ...... your offspring can always buy you a brand new MM 5er when they are rich ;)
[/quote]

Absolutely, don't get me wrong, I like owning nice basses.....I wouldn't buy a POS that didn't do or feel the way I wanted it to, but at the same time, they're tools, it's me who hopefully makes them sound ok! :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1482146419' post='3197943']
Yeah I would have loved a Sterling 5er, but you just don't see them 2nd hand, and the couple I've seen previously were snapped up, but had maple fingerboards (ugh).
But with this coming in cheaper than a used MM ever would, i'm very happy with the amount of bass I have for the money.
Yeah I had a 44-02 Deluxe in a past life, nice bass, but just wasn't very 'me' (cherryburst quilted maple top, super plain maple fingerboard (can you tell I don't like maple f/bs?)).

Si
[/quote]

I think the one I played had a natural ash body and a rosewood board.
I'm not the biggest fan of maple boards either :)

Eude

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1482252296' post='3198912']
Excellent choice. Lakland punch way above their weight on their cheaper ranges and the 55 01 has probably the best 5 string neck I've ever played. Love mine and it's such a versatile instrument too.
[/quote]

Yes already I can tell the neck is very comfortable.
There's a couple of little touches I like too:
- Always liked Laklands oversized neck dots
- The dots on this are made from what looks like maple (or similar, Ash etc)

Si