Why become a member? ×

Just ordered a Fender American P5.

dave_bass5

After an intense three days i narrowed my choice down to a P5, then, last night i was 99% sure i was going to get a Lakland DJ5. I know they are totally different basses but i just felt i would like the neck better and as i have a fantastic P already (the DD) it made sense. But something felt wrong, i think it was the cost to be honest.
So, i tossed a coin (literally) and the Fender won. Im very hesitant about the neck though. Ive done as much research as i can and it sounds like im ok other than the radius. not sure about that but ill find out soon enough.
As ive ordered it from Thomanns i do get to send it back if i dont like it. I paid a bit more (they sure arent the cheapest these days but at least it is in stock) but i feel better about it if i know im not stuck with it and returning things to them is very easy and wont cost me anything.
Im really hoping it doesn't come to that though.

Ive always wanted a OW bass and i do miss playing my 55-01 but really like the P tone so i guess this is the best of all three worlds.

Anyone else here playing one of these?

[quote name='chris_b' post='306951' date='Oct 15 2008, 11:20 AM']I hope so too. I would be interested in a review when you get it.[/quote]

Other than the neck my biggest worry is that the Fender pup wont be as good as the Fralin on my DD. I had a couple of Fender P's just before the DD and neither of them were as punchy as the DD.
I really like the way the tone control works on the DD and hopefully the Fender will be just as punchy, if not i might go for a DJ5 after all. Love the Lakland pups as well.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='307017' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:48 PM']Will be interested to hear how this turns out 'cause I love the Lakland 5 string neck and loathe the Fender ones.[/quote]

Do you mean you loathe the new 5 string necks or the older ones? If so why?

I couldn't get to play one before ordering but i got some neck dimensions for Tom Bowlus over on TB. Once i had measured my 55-01 neck against what he gave me it seems its just down to the radius whether ill like it or not (i hope).

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307025' date='Oct 15 2008, 12:57 PM']Do you mean you loathe the new 5 string necks or the older ones? If so why?

I couldn't get to play one before ordering but i got some neck dimensions for Tom Bowlus over on TB. Once i had measured my 55-01 neck against what he gave me it seems its just down to the radius whether ill like it or not (i hope).[/quote]

Is there a new neck? I've had a ew Fender Vs over the years, both US and Mex and loathe is probably a strong word, I could use them, but they were very different to the Lakland ones. The nut width was similar but the profile was too chunky for my taste and also the narrower string spacing at the bridge meant that the taper of the neck was a lot less.

I'd definately try and get a play on a DJ5 before you buy.
I for one felt it was a brilliantly made bass that nailed the vintage Jazz sound well but the neck felt like a long plank to me. 35" scale, v.flat radius and big string spacing. For me - very much a Marmite moment.

Just noticed you've got a 5501 so I guess you know what you're getting into. On that basis if you like the 5501 it's a no-brainer....

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='P-T-P' post='307035' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:09 PM']Is there a new neck? I've had a few Fender Vs over the years, both US and Mex and loathe is probably a strong word, I could use them, but they were very different to the Lakland ones. The nut width was similar but the profile was too chunky for my taste and also the narrower string spacing at the bridge meant that the taper of the neck was a lot less.[/quote]

Well i dont know if they are actually new necks, i was assuming they were as this bass only came out this year. i know both the new Jazz and P have the same neck. I suppose they might have used them on older basses.
My first ever 5 string was a Fender Squire P bass special and that put me off 5 strings for a good few years. That was really too wide for me. I love the Laklands as well. In fact i hate a normal 4 string P neck, at least, the one on the MIM classic 50's and even the HW-one were a bit of a hand full.

This is the main reason ive ordered from Thomanns. If i dont like it ill get a DJ5 instead.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307050' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:22 PM']Well i dont know if they are actually new necks, i was assuming they were as this bass only came out this year. i know both the new Jazz and P have the same neck. I suppose they might have used them on older basses.
My first ever 5 string was a Fender Squire P bass special and that put me off 5 strings for a good few years. That was really too wide for me. I love the Laklands as well. In fact i hate a normal 4 string P neck, at least, the one on the MIM classic 50's and even the HW-one were a bit of a hand full.

This is the main reason ive ordered from Thomanns. If i dont like it ill get a DJ5 instead.[/quote]

On the old US PB Deluxe V, it was the same nect as on the US J V.

As much as anything, my problem was that they didn't feel like a 5 string version of a jazz bass neck, whereas the Lakland's kinda do feel that way because of the taper and rounder, shallower profile.

Good move ordering from Thomann for the reasons stated.

Out of interest is it definitely Fralins in your DD 'cause mine has the Lakland pick-up and sounds amazing.

[quote name='martthebass' post='307046' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:17 PM']I'd definately try and get a play on a DJ5 before you buy.
I for one felt it was a brilliantly made bass that nailed the vintage Jazz sound well but the neck felt like a long plank to me. 35" scale, v.flat radius and big string spacing. For me - very much a Marmite moment.[/quote]

Well as i said, its ordered so i cant try a DJ first ;-)
and i have no way of trying a DJ anyway unless i order one of those from Thomanns as well.

The issue though is that while ill happily use a DJ im really after a 5 string P. The DJ was just an idea. I can live with a Jazz if i have to but i really need to give the P5 a go first as thats what i really want. If i dont get on with the neck then i know i cant get the Fender Jazz 5 either so ill go back to Lakland. Its just that its £150 more than the P5 that puts me off.

[quote name='P-T-P' post='307057' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:27 PM']On the old US PB Deluxe V, it was the same nect as on the US J V.

As much as anything, my problem was that they didn't feel like a 5 string version of a jazz bass neck, whereas the Lakland's kinda do feel that way because of the taper and rounder, shallower profile.

Good move ordering from Thomann for the reasons stated.

Out of interest is it definitely Fralins in your DD 'cause mine has the Lakland pick-up and sounds amazing.[/quote]

Yes, its definitely a Fralin. Ive had the PG off a few times and checked the wires. Made in 2006 i believe (based on the serial number).
I know what you mean abut the shallow profile, thats what i love about my 55-01.
As my P bass is a DD it has the Jazz neck on it so im not looking for a 5 string version of a P neck and i believe the P5 neck is a bit narrower than if it were a P neck + one string.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307058' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:28 PM']The issue though is that while ill happily use a DJ im really after a 5 string P.[/quote]

G&L L2500, passive, flatwounds, roll off the bridge pickup. Sounds like my MIA Fender P with 4 year old rounds.

Still on honeymoon with this bass tho, so I might hate it in a few weeks................nah

Edited by martthebass

If you want a 5-string with a narrow slim neck it sounds like you need a Stingray 5. :)

If you want to try a DJ5 why not contact Higgie. I think he lives somewhere in your direction and has my former DJ5 which was a killer.

[quote name='obbm' post='307069' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:37 PM']If you want a 5-string with a narrow slim neck it sounds like you need a Stingray 5. :)

If you want to try a DJ5 why not contact Higgie. I think he lives somewhere in your direction and has my former DJ5 which was a killer.[/quote]

But i already have a 5 string with a perfect neck. Only trouble is. like the stingray, its not a P :-)

Nope, i dont want to try a DJ5. Ill get one if the P5 doesn't work out for the reasons i have said. Its a second choice. Im happy to use a Jazz if i cant use a P but i really want the P.

Ive tried a few Basses in my time and while loads can get close to a P the Fenders (or basses with a split pup) seem to pull it off better IME.
To me no matter where you play on a P it sounds like its played on a P. other basses can get that tone but i always felt there was something missing when moving around the neck.

[quote name='martthebass' post='307068' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:37 PM']G&L L2500, passive, flatwounds, roll off the bridge pickup. Sounds like my MIA Fender P with 4 year old rounds.

Still on honeymoon with this bass tho, so I might hate it in a few weeks................nah[/quote]

Now you see, the sound you describe there is not what i want. Although im using chromes on my DD i think im going back to nicks.
Im not after a vintage sound, nor a bright sound, just something warm with a nice punch. I guess a generic P bass tone.

I would like to try a GL2500 out but for now im hooked on the P sound.

I hope you like it when it arrives.
There is a video on YouTube of Ed Friedland playing one (and it sounds pretty good).
I've tried one (with maple board), and it might be the strings but I thought it was poor. Fit and finish is good, but the neck feels too chunky, it is pretty neck heavy, and even with a .130 tapered string the B sounded muffled. Bear in mind that the single P pickup has it's top half closer to the neck, meaning that the PU sees almost the middle of the B -string. With an added J pickup perhaps you could a tighter sound out of the B, not sure... Also the whole instrument felt like it was covered in a thick gloss finish which felt sticky, especially on the neck.
I believe that Fender do not know how to make a good 5-string - their designs just add an extra string and make everything a little wider. I get to try lots of basses, and maybe a couple of dozen Fender 5's over the years (even owned a US deluxe 5 ash - guess what, great sound, naff b-string) and given that sort of money I'd get a Lakland or save a little more and get a Sadowsky PJ or something similar (if they do a five?).
it's good that you can return it if not happy, otherwise I would have strongly advised trying before you buy!
Of course a lot of the above is personal opinion, but I do own a fantastic Mexican P and would love to have a P-style 5 with a nice fat bottom end - the American Standard just doesn't seem to fit that bill.

Yeah, ive seen that video a few times. also did you see the follow up to it? I though the tone in the first one wasn't great but it sounds much better in the second video.

From all the good things ive read about this bass im pretty confident it will come down to how the neck feels around the 10-12th fret. Chunky is a word i read a lot but considering how slim the Laklands are it might not be such a bad thing.

I'll post how it goes when i get it. I just wish i didnt have the Duck Dunn now for it to live up to (no, ill not sell it just yet). Im not as excited as i should be, rather apprehensive actually.

Im going over to the Fender forum for some cheering up ;-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307082' date='Oct 15 2008, 01:52 PM']Now you see, the sound you describe there is not what i want. Although im using chromes on my DD i think im going back to nicks.
Im not after a vintage sound, nor a bright sound, just something warm with a nice punch. I guess a generic P bass tone.

I would like to try a GL2500 out but for now im hooked on the P sound.[/quote]

Now I'm confused.

How can a P with 4 year old rounds not be 'warm'?

Fussy bugger........ :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='307258' date='Oct 15 2008, 05:30 PM']Now I'm confused.

How can a P with 4 year old rounds not be 'warm'?

Fussy bugger........ :)[/quote]

Same way as nickels are warmer than SS.
to me you were describing dead and buried, not warm :-)
I dont want clank but i do like one or two overtones.

I have the P5 deluxe,which is active and the split pup has been changed on the new model,so not sure how they would compare soundwise,the neck is slightly bulky,but i find no problem playing even with my small hands
The B string is excellent on this one..and with the eq flat,it sort of produces a passive P tone,but when i get round to it,i may change the preamp which is not doing the bass justice IMO,and maybe the pups as well..
But even as it is i really like the sound...best of luck with yours

[quote name='bassmanady' post='307281' date='Oct 15 2008, 06:05 PM']I have the P5 deluxe,which is active and the split pup has been changed on the new model,so not sure how they would compare soundwise,the neck is slightly bulky,but i find no problem playing even with my small hands
The B string is excellent on this one..and with the eq flat,it sort of produces a passive P tone,but when i get round to it,i may change the preamp which is not doing the bass justice IMO,and maybe the pups as well..
But even as it is i really like the sound...best of luck with yours[/quote]

Cheers.
I specifically didnt want an active bass otherwise i was looking at the Deluxe.

What strings do you use?

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='307292' date='Oct 15 2008, 06:30 PM']Cheers.
I specifically didnt want an active bass otherwise i was looking at the Deluxe.

What strings do you use?[/quote]I use Elixir and find 45,65,80,100,125,works best for me on 34" scale bass,and 45,65,85,105,130 on my 35" scale bass.