Why become a member? ×

Just ordered a Fender American P5.

dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='312768' date='Oct 23 2008, 09:00 AM']Stop it ;-)

Seriously though, how are you finding it?[/quote]

It's fantastic - the neck is perfect for me - I prefer the depth and flatter radius to the chunkier and rounded fender 5 string necks.
I've always had to compromise with 5 string basses, until now I've not found a 5 that performs well (string balance/low B more than anything) and has the tone I want so I've ended up with lots of instruments that aren't quite there in either department.

I'm after a more modern sounding 5er at the moment, hence why I've got my eye on your 5501 ;D

[quote name='mr_russ' post='316459' date='Oct 28 2008, 09:41 AM']It's fantastic - the neck is perfect for me - I prefer the depth and flatter radius to the chunkier and rounded fender 5 string necks.
I've always had to compromise with 5 string basses, until now I've not found a 5 that performs well (string balance/low B more than anything) and has the tone I want so I've ended up with lots of instruments that aren't quite there in either department.

I'm after a more modern sounding 5er at the moment, hence why I've got my eye on your 5501 ;D[/quote]

I know what you mean about having instruments that are a compromise. I love my DD but its not 5 string. I love the 55-10 but not the tone and i would really love the DJ5 if it was a P. Its got the looks, the fantastic Lakland neck but it a jazz.
Its taken me ages to get back to a P and for now im really happy with that tone.
There's just something about the P sound i really like. In the past i nearly always played my Jazz with just the neck pup on and hated the slight honk ii would get from the Jazz (even though i used it for about two years)
The P5 neck feels better to me. Its narrower than the 55-01 and so its a bit cramped compared to the 55-01 but to me its closer to a normal P neck than the 55-01.
Tone wise im sure its going to sound like a P so ive no problems with that (still to gig it though, first outing this sat).
Only thing i need ot sort out is what strings to use. The stock ones are really nice but as i have Chromes on the DD i want to try them on the P5 as well. I was quite shocked how expensive a set of extra long 5 string pack is :-0

I'll PM you about the 55-01 now.

Just wanted to say ive just taken the Chromes off my DD and put them on the P5 and what a difference. Now it feels very familiar and nicer to play.
I can also now get the action lower, almost as much as the DD had.
I still need to get a low B but to be honest i might just keep the stock B on it for now.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='318804' date='Oct 31 2008, 08:43 AM']Hummm never thought I'd hear myself saying this but thats a nice WHITE bass...... :huh:

D, keep it nice and I'll have 1st dibs, if you do think of moving it on..... :)[/quote]

I think ive already said this but it looks whiter in the pics (evne mine) than it does in real life. Im used to it now and it does seem to depend on the type of lighting but yes, it does look and play very nicely.

Your already second dib's im afraid.
It will be at least a year before i move this on though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='318812' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:09 AM']I think ive already said this but it looks whiter in the pics (evne mine) than it does in real life. Im used to it now and it does seem to depend on the type of lighting but yes, it does look and play very nicely.

Your already second dib's im afraid.
It will be at least a year before i move this on though.[/quote]

2nd already....... :) Oh well...

try a new full set of chromes 40-135 they sound :wub:

[quote name='The Burpster' post='319219' date='Oct 31 2008, 05:22 PM']2nd already....... :) Oh well...

try a new full set of chromes 40-135 they sound :wub:[/quote]

Funny enough i have just tried to put a .132 low B Chrome on the P5 and it wont go through the bridge. Through body or top loaded.
The silk winding at the ball end is too thick for the hole's.

Not sure what to do now. The other strings are Chromes but i guess i might have to stick to the stock string on the low B for now.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='319363' date='Oct 31 2008, 09:52 PM']Funny enough i have just tried to put a .132 low B Chrome on the P5 and it wont go through the bridge. Through body or top loaded.
The silk winding at the ball end is too thick for the hole's.

Not sure what to do now. The other strings are Chromes but i guess i might have to stick to the stock string on the low B for now.[/quote]

Just carefully take it off..... It wont do any harm its decoration. I even had to take some of the flatwind binding off the tuner end to make it cosy on the HM5 I had, but its worth spending the time and effort to get it in......

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='319468' date='Nov 1 2008, 08:40 AM']Just carefully take it off..... It wont do any harm its decoration. I even had to take some of the flatwind binding off the tuner end to make it cosy on the HM5 I had, but its worth spending the time and effort to get it in......

:)[/quote]

Thanks.
After posting last night i did indeed take a lot of it off and now its strung through the top perfectly. Seems more floppy than the Fender string but this morning it felt a bit better.

I've got the first gig with the P5 tonight and im really looking forward to it (other than having a stinking cold)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='320036' date='Nov 2 2008, 11:27 AM']....... and the gig went?

Gig went well considering it was a new gig for us in a social club that seemed to have a large majority of older people in it (more so than normal).
They were a great crowd although be we felt they liked the old rock and roll and jive more and we don't do that much. Still, we had them up and dancing quite early, a long encore and lots of good compliment afterwards.

We were on high stage. It didn't seem boomy. In fact i ended up taking the platfoam out from under the cab because i couldn't hear the lows. It sounded much better after that. The acoustics seemed good and i was only on about 3 on the master and the room was pretty big.
The bass felt comfortable, more than i thought it would (this was the first time i had strapped it on) and i was doing stuff i couldn't do last week with the 55-01. Remember, Ive only been playing 5 string again for a couple of weeks so i know ill speed up soon. The strings on the P5 just seem to fall in the right place. No doubt partly due to the bridge having the grooves on the saddles. Sound wise it was of course a P. I wont pass judgement too much as it was a venue I'm not familiar with but i did think that it lacked a bit of punch compared to my DD but not enough for me to worry about.
The main problem i had was i couldn't get anything out of the low notes (D# and below). They just seemed to disappear and had no attack and I'm assuming this was just the stage soaking up the lows so I'm not to worried. Ill check it out again at the next gig on Sat but but i hope this is what was causing it. Otherwise the Chromes will come off. In fact i think ill go back to the Fenders at some point anyway. I quite like the tone they have but for now the Chromes are making the P5 a bit more familiar and easier to play and the tone does fit a lot of the songs.

The only other problem i had was my transmitter cutting out during Funky music. Normally if i move around too much it does this but comes back on within seconds so i didn't worry an kept playing. After a few bars i noticed it hadn't come on and after a bit of fiddling it turns out the battery had died. Never happened before and at the start of the gig it was showing 7 hours. Its a good but old high powered rechargeable so i guess it just had enough. luckily i had a lead next to the amp (for occasions like this) so all was well and our guitarist got to do a 2 minute guitar solo so he was happy.

Oh, and not one of them mentioned the bass, at all. They were all aware it was new but not one comment. miserable gits.

So, yes, very pleased with it and im going to be using this exclusivley untill the GAS takes hold again. Seems to go in 12 month cycles but i know this combination is something ive been searching for for a few years so hopefully this is it.

Mr_russ. Cheers. After all my whining about the colour being a bit too creamy it actually looked really good under stage lighting.

Glad it did the biz...... just one point I picked up on.... you say the low notes didnt come out well...

Did anyone in the audience point that out? sometimes they are hard to hear when your playing but they do come out of the PA or amp to the audience , its just that for some reason ( That I cant remember, it was explained on here some time ago ) you cant pick it up from where your playing.....

"Oh, and not one of them mentioned the bass, at all. They were all aware it was new but not one comment. miserable gits."

Oh dear...silly or not, it's nice to hear a bit of bass phwoar from your bandmates - miserable indeed!

:) :huh: :huh:

PS - If I ever manage to buy a current model P, Oly/tort/RW is THE colour scheme, even edging out black/maple...

[quote name='The Burpster' post='320137' date='Nov 2 2008, 01:58 PM']Glad it did the biz...... just one point I picked up on.... you say the low notes didnt come out well...

Did anyone in the audience point that out? sometimes they are hard to hear when your playing but they do come out of the PA or amp to the audience , its just that for some reason ( That I cant remember, it was explained on here some time ago ) you cant pick it up from where your playing.....[/quote]

First off we were only using a Vocal PA with one powered sub so the out front bass sound was more my rig than the PA.

Normally the low notes sound just as punchy and full as the other notes (going by my 55-01 with this rig) but last night, on this stage it was almost like the attack had been decreased, they were just really soft and weren't really worth playing. Over the 5th fret the notes were fine so i assume its just the stage absorbing the low end.
I did go out front at the quick sound check we did and it was the same so i don't think it was due to where i was standing.

Telebass. Yes, i agree although with two of the band being really skint at the moment i felt it wasnt the time to talk about how i just spent £1000 so i didnt say anything.
I was tempted to get a black/maple as well but ive always wanted a white bass as as Fender are kind enough to supply it with the tort PG i just couldnt resist.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='320158' date='Nov 2 2008, 02:21 PM']Telebass. Yes, i agree although with two of the band being really skint at the moment i felt it wasnt the time to talk about how i just spent £1000 so i didnt say anything.
I was tempted to get a black/maple as well but ive always wanted a white bass as as Fender are kind enough to supply it with the tort PG i just couldnt resist.[/quote]

One of the few things that puts me off the 5er is that I like the covers on my basses, and that's obviously not an option with the 5s...
My black one is rosewood, very dark, much like one John Deacon used to play, but without the gold bits!

[quote name='Telebass' post='321679' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:58 AM']One of the few things that puts me off the 5er is that I like the covers on my basses, and that's obviously not an option with the 5s...
My black one is rosewood, very dark, much like one John Deacon used to play, but without the gold bits![/quote]

I did try and get a cover over the bridge but it wont fit. I had thought of a PUP cover on the DD but as i play with a pick i think that would get in the way.

My old Squier JV P was black with maple and i had all gold hardware on it. Wish i had kept it now.

[quote name='Telebass' post='321679' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:58 AM']One of the few things that puts me off the 5er is that I like the covers on my basses, and that's obviously not an option with the 5s...[/quote]

My Fender USA jazz deluxe 5 has a cover over the neck pickup so I would have thought they are also available for the bridge?

Frank

Same p/u cover as the Marcus Miller 5, I bet. There's no bridge covers that would fit even the MM4, because it has a BAII fitted, and the standard Fender ashtray won't go over it...
There's no covers of any sort ever been made available for a standard P5, because until this year, there was no such thing! Ah well...

[quote name='Telebass' post='322101' date='Nov 4 2008, 07:45 PM']Same p/u cover as the Marcus Miller 5, I bet. There's no bridge covers that would fit even the MM4, because it has a BAII fitted, and the standard Fender ashtray won't go over it...
There's no covers of any sort ever been made available for a standard P5, because until this year, there was no such thing! Ah well...[/quote]

Yeah. I have a BAII on my Jazz and still i cant get the standard Fender cover to go over it.

[quote name='Telebass' post='322148' date='Nov 4 2008, 08:22 PM']Yup, it's a pain. But then I've never thought there was anything wrong with the original bent bit o' metal, so, no problems!

The original bridge on my HW1 started falling apart quite quickly, thats the only reason i changed.
I actually got the cover to go on my MIM 50's Classic but i only kept that bass a week so it never got used and ive not had a bass since that it will fit on.