Why become a member? ×

WHO's feeling rich? T-Bird

ROConnell

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1481282767' post='3191156']
It says Thunderbird II, but only has one pup. Was there a TBird I?
[/quote]

Hm I don't really know much Gibbo history, does the numeration correspond to the number of pickups then?

Have just found this - which says the 60's Thunderbird II has a single humbucker. https://reverb.com/item/541871-gibson-thunderbird-ii-1964-sunburst

Somebody enlighten me!!! :unsure:

[i][color=#000000]... this Sunburst model has the rare distinction of being owned and played by The Who's master bass player John Entwistle.[/color][/i]

[size=5][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][center]Unfortunately, a quick Google turns up literally dozens, perhaps hundreds, of images of The Who's master bass player playing Gibson Thunderbirds, not one of which is this bass. And since the advert itself fails to offer such an image, it's hard to see how even so reputable a dealer as NKR can make this provenance claim.[/center][/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481286879' post='3191212']
[i][color=#000000]... this Sunburst model has the rare distinction of being owned and played by The Who's master bass player John Entwistle.[/color][/i]

[center]Unfortunately, a quick Google turns up literally dozens, perhaps hundreds, of images of The Who's master bass player playing Gibson Thunderbirds, not one of which is this bass. And since the advert itself fails to offer such an image, it's hard to see how even so reputable a dealer as NKR can make this provenance claim.[/center]

[/quote]
Ah well, slightly a bit out of my price range. Wonder if they'll do a trade for a bitsa P? :rolleyes:

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481286879' post='3191212']

[center]Unfortunately, a quick Google turns up literally dozens, perhaps hundreds, of images of The Who's master bass player playing Gibson Thunderbirds, not one of which is this bass. And since the advert itself fails to offer such an image, it's hard to see how even so reputable a dealer as NKR can make this provenance claim.[/center]

[/quote]

He had hundreds of basses. Probably sat in a case and never played live? If it was Guigsy alone that owned it, you'd expect a discount, especially for him drawing a cock on the original case.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1481282767' post='3191156']
It says Thunderbird II, but only has one pup. Was there a TBird I?
[/quote]

I think the Thunderbird numbers were picked to fit between the Firebird ones which were designated I, III, V and VII.

Pity there was no 3 pick-up Thunderbird VI...

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1481743210' post='3194823']
Well, if you want a bargain, there is this totally legit sounding thunderbird:
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-thunderbird-bass-guitar-/182371853013"]http://www.ebay.co.u...r-/182371853013[/url]
[/quote]

I was so impressed by that listing that I bought the bass. Twice.