Why become a member? ×

SHORT SCALE AND MEDIUM SCALE.

grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1481020009' post='3188955']

Just found this 'au contraire' article.

[url="http://menga.net/adventures-with-strings-on-a-short-scale-bass-guitar"]http://menga.net/adv...ale-bass-guitar[/url]
[/quote]

I read that article, and it contains a very obvious [i]non sequitur[/i]: '... [color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]when you string up a short scale set that was originally meant for long scale, the balance goes completely out, resulting in overtones.[/size][/font][/color]'

The last statement [i]does not follow[/i] from the first. Neither does it accord with my experience of using Chromes on short-scales.

So don't panic!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1481413062' post='3192194']
I read that article, and it contains a very obvious [i]non sequitur[/i]: '... [color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]when you string up a short scale set that was originally meant for long scale, the balance goes completely out, resulting in overtones.[/size][/font][/color]'

The last statement [i]does not follow[/i] from the first. Neither does it accord with my experience of using Chromes on short-scales.

So don't panic!
[/quote]

Agreed. I don't seem to have encountered any of the problems highlighted in this article. I just posted it out of interest.

It would appear that overtones are not necessarily a bad thing:

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtone[/url]

Edited by grandad

[quote name='burno70' timestamp='1481404181' post='3192132']

After trying out a mustang in Dawsons yesterday I'm definately getting a short scale soon. I've been looking at strings and icouldn't see any in my regular gauge, 45-105, what strings do you use in this gauge?
[/quote]

If you want to play with round wound strings lile you can use DR strings : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dr-strings-hi-beams-short-scale-4-string-bass-medium-45-105.
I heard that they fit Mustang bass well.
As for me, I play a Starcaster bass and I use Fender long scale strings 45-105. Once they have been cut down to size, it's perfect. Short scale strings are a little bit too short for the Starcaster bass, maybe because of the length of the Hi-mass bridge. So I assume you can do the same with a Mustang bass and you'll be able to use the 45-105 that you are used to.

After a short scale hunting trip to a well known Exeter dealer my conclusions are-

Gibson SG (used) quality build,decent action despite way too heavy strings.Ok sound,just expecting more (strings again?)

Fender Mustang PJ, bad neck dive,good playability, weak J pickup.

Gretsch Electromatic, very impressed. Decent build quality,very good neck. With both pickups on and tone slightly backed off the pick of the bunch.Cheapest here and for me the best.

Only one problem. They can only get it in black. Aggghh! Really don't want another black bass.Got to be sunburst.

In my first spell of playing (back in the early 80's) I had an old Fender Musicmaster
At the time, I compared the sound of that bass to mates who had full scale basses, and always thought the E string was a bit "weak" - it generally seemed to lack a bit of definition and punch, and also didn't have great sustain. Since then, I realise this may have been down to the pickups, or possibly choice of string (I always used Rotosound Swing strings back then - I didn't really try many brands at that time....

Although I have way too many basses now, I find I'm hankering after a decent short scale. I've heard some great examples played by other players. I was well impressed with a Squier SS Jag some guy played at open mic recently.

Also, for lugging around in the odd random pub jam, and as back up for some gigs - I recently bought a very short scale Tanglewood Elfin bass. It's about 25" scale, with standard P bass pickups and if you couldn't see it being played, you'd swear it was the full size thing! It's amazing :) Although I've got way too many already (and recently bought a Flea sig Jazz) - I can feel the "need" for a short scale kicking in soon - after all, it should also be easier to hide from Mrs S :)

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Zummerbass' timestamp='1481480097' post='3192601']
After a short scale hunting trip to a well known Exeter dealer my conclusions are-

Gibson SG (used) quality build,decent action despite way too heavy strings.Ok sound,just expecting more (strings again?)

Fender Mustang PJ, bad neck dive,good playability, weak J pickup.

Gretsch Electromatic, very impressed. Decent build quality,very good neck. With both pickups on and tone slightly backed off the pick of the bunch.Cheapest here and for me the best.

Only one problem. They can only get it in black. Aggghh! Really don't want another black bass.Got to be sunburst.
[/quote]

In my quest through various SS's I bought one of these. Agree with you, comfortable neck, not too narrow and nice old-school thump. The sunburst is the better looking. I was going to rewire it a la Jazz, (V V T). Often think I should have kept it. Build quality was pretty good.

My mate recommended switching to short scale basses a while ago - and after trying out that Mustang the other day I've decided to take the plunge. I've been after a Maruszczyk Elwood for a while now and decided to get one of the short scales they had in stock. Can't wait for it to arrive! That'll be my Christmas prezzy to myself!