Why become a member? ×

NBD! Snapdragon. It's not broken, it folds!

MacDaddy

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1480854971' post='3187546']
It didn't make it to rehearsal, but I've tweaked away and sorted the alignment and neck.
Not sure about the strings. A couple of them don't even have one complete wind around the tuning peg. I've not owned a short scale bass before, so I'm not sure if the string floppiness is normal?
[/quote]

The link posted above suggested it's got locking tuners.... If so, there's no real benefit to wrapping round the peg as it doesn't rely on the strings friction against itself to stop the end of the string working its way back through the slot.

[quote name='NoirBass' timestamp='1481830551' post='3195582']
Hey, how did you get on with the bass after a good setup? Have you gigged it yet? How's the string tension?
[/quote]

It plays a lot better. I haven't changed the strings yet, they are a bit floppy, but I'm taking it to rehearsal on Saturday.

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1481836161' post='3195631']

The link posted above suggested it's got locking tuners.... If so, there's no real benefit to wrapping round the peg as it doesn't rely on the strings friction against itself to stop the end of the string working its way back through the slot.
[/quote]

It's the floppiness though. I had a word with Andy from D'Addario, and he has recommended some short scale strings with better tension.

So, I took it band practice on Saturday. I can state it is good for metal lol.

The guys were a bit freaked out when I turned up with the little triangular case, and preceded to fold the neck in to position :-)

The band tune to Eb, but the string floppiness makes it impracticable, so I tuned to F and set the whammy on my multi fx to detune a tone. It worked, but tuning had to be spot on (including guitarist) tuning by ear was not enough, which was difficult as the strings are [i]still [/i]stretching.

It's not as light as you may think, [color=#616161]2.8 kg [/color](6.17 pounds) according to the website but it feels heavier, I'll do a weighing later. For me there was a certain amount of technique adjustment. I'm a finger player and used to playing with a ramp and thumbrest that runs from the bridge to the neck. This only has the pup surround to anchor my thumb on, and no upper body to rest my forearm on. I played with a pick for a couple of songs, and reckon initially a pick player would get on with it quicker.

My Shuker(s) are medium scale so playing a shortscale came naturally, although I do miss the upper frets. The single coil pickup has good output, not too bass heavy but cuts through nicely with enough bottom end. The tone control is actually quite usable, My sweet spot is dialing it back about 20%. I love the neck, profile wise it's between a P and J, but a tad flatter. I can post some songs if anyone is interested, but they were recording on an iphone in rehearsal so the quality is not too hot.

This has been designed so that you can take it as hand luggage while flying, then gig with it at the other end. I would happily gig with it, and it's a space-saving back up bass, and utterly convenient to transport to rehearsals. Quality wise there's nothing to worry about, at least there won't be once I've changed the strings! It's great at home for noodling about on, because it's just so convenient.

I'll make sure to take it to the next Bass Bash I go to, but if any Basschater in that London wants a go, let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1483796772' post='3210195']
Quite interested in this to take on my travels just to keep my hand in while on holidays. Would it easily fit into a suitcase?
[/quote]
It fits easily into a carry-on luggage case.

[quote name='woodywyatt' timestamp='1483796772' post='3210195']
Quite interested in this to take on my travels just to keep my hand in while on holidays. Would it easily fit into a suitcase?
[/quote]

For what it's worth, I fit a full scale scale (34") jazz bass into my luggage by removing the neck from the body when I visited Nashville. Simply packed it in with my pants and clothes etc. would have been even easier with a 32" or 30" scale.......and they're not super ugly basses lol

Si

• 1 month later...

I still haven't got round to putting on the new strings :blush: but I had a tweak with the locking tuners, and used it again at rehearsal yesterday.

As mentioned earlier we are a metal band. Very metal, old school :ph34r: and tune to E flat. I needed to compensate slightly for the string floppiness by using a lighter touch, but it wasn't a major problem, and it sounds brutal. Plenty of bottom end, and a very usable tone control. We recorded a vid, I'll try post the audio. Just remember it was recorded direct through an iPhone.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
On Thu Dec 15 2016 at 19:35, NoirBass said:

Hey, how did you get on with the bass after a good setup? Have you gigged it yet? How's the string tension?

Gigged it on Sunday. 4pm to nearly 8pm, with a one short break. 

Sounded great. String tension fine (after finally changing strings).

As mentioned earlier, I'm used to playing with a ramp/thumb rest, also having something to rest my arm against. So for me, not having this did make the gig a bit of a struggle towards the end. 

I don't think pick players would have any problems. 

Anyway, to clarify, the Snapdragon Folding Bass, is a capable gigging bass. 

IMG-20190115-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1