Why become a member? ×

2 become 1

stufunkybass

Hi all,

I am the proud owner if 2x Sandberg 5 strings.

Both basses were purchased for the same amount circa £1250.

I am struggling currently to get my head round owning 2 Basses and wanted to know whether anyone has gone from 2 basses just to 1 all round quality bass.

I am thinking of a secondhand Roscoe or Overwater. Maybe another Sandberg with an exotic wood top.

What does everyone think?

Stu

I've only owned one bass for a few years now. Mainly fir financial reasons. I'm doing a post-grad MMus course that I'm paying for myself.

My one bass is a beautiful 21 year old Yamaha TrbJP 6 string. The previous bass was s fretless Roscoe 6 string.

There's absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong with just owning one bass. It's what you do with it that counts.

Thanks mate, I think a lot of it is being happy with what you have and being able to get every sound you need from one bass. I think of all the top players have access to loads of basses but you hardly ever see Victor Wooten without a Fodera or Marcus Miller without a Fender MM Jazz or Sire as it is now.

.I used to have three basses sat at home. I found I was only really using one of them on a constant regular basis so the others sat there collecting dust.

Got rid and dont miss them at all. Every now and then I think there is that odd song where maybe the 5 string would work really well but unless I was in a more professional situation where you need all the tools for every eventuality, I find I get by on just the one good 4 string Jazz.

Having said that I am getting a custom Jazz built as a back up / treat myself / what if the other one goes wrong ,then what / you only live once / insert justifiable excuse here / its about time I got a good second bass / yes I do deserve it / maybe i will like even more than this one ect ect

And the madness continues......

I own four, take two on stage for a full gig or just one (most likely the jazz bass) for a half set. I like having different options but live, especially playing festivals where there's a quick turnaround for loads of bands, I find it makes little difference apart from appearance, the front of house guy loses all your tone 9/10 times so you could be playing anything. Playing where my band controls the PA I get a few more of the nuances out. But I own a bass that doesn't fit with the current band so it doesn't come on to stage.
Now we are doing some songs in drop D I'm tuning one bass standard and one dropped but that could be done with a tuning peg replacement rather than a whole bass swap.

[quote name='stufunkybass' timestamp='1480281920' post='3183097']
I am struggling currently to get my head round owning 2 Basses and wanted to know whether anyone has gone from 2 basses just to 1 all round quality bass.

I am thinking of a secondhand Roscoe or Overwater. Maybe another Sandberg with an exotic wood top.

What does everyone think?
[/quote]

FWIW, I think you should struggle more with thinking for yourself and not be at all concerned what other people think.

I'd bet that there are people here who have only ever owned one bass in their entire life and people who change them more often than their underpants. There are probably also people here who could open a bass shop with their personal 'stock' of basses.

But so what? Why are such things of any relevance to me or you? Do whatever you want and be happy about it.

Two identical basses? Why not?

If you gig... you have a backup/
If you dismantle one for maintenance or tikering of any kind, you're not under pressure to finish the job, as you still have a working bass.
You can try different strings on each!

If you don't need the cash... I'd keep both.