Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 18"

taunton-hobbit

At last B/F have revealed one of the worst-kept secrets of the year.
!500 quid buys you an inbuilt amp and a 50lb lift - but Alex has thought about
the handles.............

[color=#403F42][font=Arial][size=3]Faital Pro 18HP1060 2400W Driver [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#403F42][font=Arial][size=3][size=3]This Faitial Pro subwoofer is a beast. That's putting it lightly. The FEA designed aluminium basket and neo magnet cut its weight to less than a third of a comparable ferrite driver, whilst reducing distortions and improving transient response. The huge voice coil and motor venting minimises thermal compression for improved output and sonic accuracy and makes it almost impossible to blow. The cone and the suspension is built to withstand touring use, allowing very high linear excursion, protecting the driver from abusive over-excursion and being highly water (and beer!) resistant.[/size][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#403F42][font=Arial][size=3][size=3][size=3]Hypex PSC2.700 1400w Amp[/size][/size]
[size=3][size=3]The Hypex amp can deliver in excess of 1400W into a dynamic load from its extremely low distortion class D amplifier, with an ultra efficient SMPS supporting continuous power levels of 1200W, far more than many so-called 2000W+ subs can manage. The 24 bit audiophile DSP allows us to [/size][size=3]optimise[/size][size=3]the system so the enclosure, driver and amp work to their maximum potential, with four presets to suit your needs.[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3]The first ten are (were ?) 999.00...........[/size][/size]

[size=3][size=3] :)[/size][/size][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by taunton-hobbit

Jinkies. I recall seeing 18" Trace Cabs back when I bought my 15" in the 90s. I was staggered by the physical size - and weight. Amazing that you can now have them far more portable. Still a bulk though - if you're not careful your band mates will actually prefer unloading the drummer's gear...

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1480076127' post='3181464']
I recall seeing 18" Trace Cabs back when I bought my 15" in the 90s. I was staggered by the physical size - and weight.
[/quote]
I used to play through a Mesa Boogie 118. It was half the size and weight of an 810!

IME it really is a good time to be a bass player.

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in!!!

Our band all goes through a pair of Yamaha DXR15s which is fine for most of the pubs and bar/party gigs that we do, but this looks like it'd really hit the spot for the bigger gigs where we there's no in house pa.

24kg is by far the lightest I've seen in my not-particularly-thorough search for a lightweight but good quality sub. Very interested to hear people's first impressions.

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1480325460' post='3183290']
I use active 12" EV subs 700w & come in at 45lbs each they are the lightest I could find ,I did consider using my BF compacts with a 1000w digital bass amp but they are not deep enough in dimension to take a pole to support top speakers .
[/quote]

If you are into 12" lightweight subs, the RCF 702 ASIIs weigh in 17.5kg.

I don't think the BF Compacts are tuned to do subwoofer duties - I think Alex is expecting people to take the FR800 with the subwoofer DSP if they want a dedicated BF sub (that is, ignoring this new 18" offering)