Why become a member? ×

Distortion in Ashdown drivers normal?

dyerseve

So I recently bought an Ashdown Five Fifteen 2 x 10" MiniRig. It works ok but there is a definite distortion to the sound once the initial note sounds out.
So much so that I thought the drivers were faulty and bought a set of replacement drivers. They arrived and I duly installed them but once it came to the sound absuletly nothing has changed! The same distortion is there!
I have tried different amps with both the original and New drivers and yet the distortion is still there!
I'm at a loss!

Sorry to have to tell you, but that seems typical of Ashdown stuff. I had a 300 watt evo head and everything I played it through had that fizzing decay sound. I thought there was something wrong with it and had an MOT by a top tech guy and it was pronounced 100% healthy otherwise. Out of the blue I spotted an Ashdown After 8 combo on the brilliant Gumtree to use indoors and soon sold it on again when it did exactly what you're describing even through an extension cab. Shame, must be cheaper components somewhere along the financial climate track....

Edited by LITTLEWING

Most Ashdown stuff I've used hasn't had anything like you describe. I did have an abm head though that had a very very slight noise I thought after the note decay so maybe it does happen, but it's not typical at all as I had another abm that didn't do that.
Recently I tried a few small Ashdown combos an perfect ten and aaa I think. And no distortion in either of them although one seemed noisy in general tbh.
I'm currently using an old mag 300 non evo most be one of the last British made ones, again no noise of any kind, in fact one of the quietest amps in floor noise I've heard.

Is Clive Button still designing all the amps. Maybe something inherent?

Have you tried the amp on a different cab?. So you know if it's the amp or cab.
If it's the actual cab it could be the grill you could try it with it off. Rule out any anything obvious like something else vibrating in the room. Or the head vibrating on top of the cab.
Obviously if it's the head then I would ask Ashdown to take a look. It's only little so shipping the head shouldn't be an issue.

I have owned five Ashdown Amps, three of which I have still have and use frequently. Three of them are combos and two use Ashdown cabs. I have never heard/noticed the sound you describe here, so it is not inherent in all Ashdown gear. I was using my Touring 330 combo at last Saturday's gig and the drummer commented several times on how good it sounded.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1479197176' post='3174586']
It would be worth ringing Ashdown who have always been good at customer support, even when I rang them when their offices were flooded a few years back!
[/quote]

There's a joke about amps setting on fire somewhere in there but it's too early for me to construct one :D

I have owned Ashdown gear since 2005, various heads and cabs, have kicked their butt in various rock bands and haven`t heard the sound that you are describing. I am no doubting you by the way.

Is there a BCer near you who would test your cabs through a different head to see if the head is the problem?