Why become a member? ×

Anybody has any experience of Hammersmith basses, from Canada?

mcnach

They're "custom made, assembled in Canada". So it looks like they probably get their stuff made somewhere in Asia and make their 'bitsas' from that. Still, they have some interesting things and I got talking to them... and it sounds like they could make me something interesting at a reasonable price. The problem is I have no experience whatsoever of them. Anybody?
A Maruszczyk of similar specs would cost me more, but I'd be able to specify *everything* and I *know* they'll be really good. Hmmm.

[url="https://www.facebook.com/hammersmithmusic/"]https://www.facebook.com/hammersmithmusic/[/url]

Yeah, I've been reading the reviews too. The guy I was in touch with, Marko, seems pretty cool and although the range of options is not as extensive as others, they pretty much do what I want, and have some characteristics that I love that no other offers: truss rod wheel like MusicMan, at the body end, with a neck recess... the way EVERY instruments should be in my opinion ;)

Price is attractive with a promotion they have right now... although adding import taxes wipes that.

Seriously thinking about it...

[quote name='Fisheth' timestamp='1479052783' post='3173553']
Are these going to be the new Maruszczyk basses I wonder? :P

Seriously though, looks fabulous.

I want one.
[/quote]

No, it's a very different enterprise, and taking into account import tax etc I doubt it'll be any cheaper than Maruszczyk.
But I do like the MusicMan style truss rod wheel and they have a few other unique things that if you happen to like, they could be worth considering. They have many flexible options, but nothing like Maruszczyk.

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1479056326' post='3173583']
I would say go for it!
The other thing is that in TB land people do flip stuff quite a lot, you could hold out and find a second hand good 'un. I managed to get a G&L just how i wanted for less including postage and tax than it would cost 2nd hand here in Blighty.
[/quote]

True. Unfortunately the exact specs will be extremely hard to come by. It's a question of whether I pull the trigger or come to my senses since I don't *really* need this bass. Yet, that would be too reasonable for me ;) I'll probably pull the trigger. :P

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1479113348' post='3173928']
Does the world need yet another Fender clone?
[/quote]

I never heard that before :P

The thing is, a lot of people like Fender's general designs, and this company allows me a number of options that would not be found on any Fender in production. So it works for me.
But I'm sure you knew that.