Why become a member? ×

Moving from Bergantino CN212 to Aguilar db...

govons

Hi, now I have one Bergantino CN212. Lovely cab that I drive with Thunderfunk 750. I like this rig and I am happy nothing to say, but....

as you know sometimes you need to change rig... just...

to change...and try something else.

So even if I don't know if I am right or not I am looking around to other possible rig.

Now is the time of Aguilar db and I am thinking about db210 plus db115 (I think that it is classic configuration), or a couple of db112.

which are your opinion? Am I doing right? Who tried both Berg and Aguilar?

I had AE12’s with a Thunderfunk and it was a good sound. I rate the CN cabs as a slight improvement over the AE’s, so both good cabs.
I rated TKS s112’s over the CN112’s (as well as the Aguilar SL112 NEO’s)
I rate the DB212 over the TKS112’s altho I have NOT tried the TKS cabs with the DB amp.
There are many varibles as to amp, cab config, but I can’t see anyone being disappointed with the DB cabs. I’ve used DB212, DB210x2 with both Thundefunk and DB amps. The Thunderfunk is not a DB750, but it is a more than a fair amp. I think the DB cab config will improve it. I’m not sure DB112’s would be worth the change tho…but definitely 212 or 1x15 and 210 would, IMO.

I use the DB112 cabs and I'm very happy with them, but unless you're going to go up to a 410 or something it's probably not worth it.

The DB210 had to my ear a very different sound to the DB112, and I made my choice. I'd check out the DB210 and DB115 pairing yourself before pouring all that money into the new rig, it may sound better to have two identical cabs, whether that's the DB210 or the DB115 I don't know.

[quote name='govons' timestamp='1478617994' post='3170324']
I have one Bergantino CN212. Lovely cab that I drive with Thunderfunk 750. I like this rig and I am happy nothing to say
[/quote]
Don't sell a great sounding rig like that on a whim. Only sell when you've actually found something better.

I spent several years playing a CN212 which ended up being replaced by 2 great sounding, lighter, louder and modular Barefaced Super Compacts.
I still gig my TF750 but mostly use an Aguilar TH500.

[quote name='govons' timestamp='1478688687' post='3170894']
by the way another question is related to head amp.
I always use only one channel to go to the cabinet, is this can affect balance of power or something like that?
[/quote]

No, it wont affect balance on a solid state amp. Both outputs should be equal.
I usually daisy chain 2 cabs out of one output as then I can hear both cabs working better...and it might be good practice to swap around the cab that you imput to first...as that will show up a problem with that cab/cable...

If you use 2 cabs with 2 outputs from the amp..it is harder to hear if the line if down.

As always, assume nothing, mix it up and check outputs and cabs and cables

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478701651' post='3171041']
I usually daisy chain 2 cabs out of one output as then I can hear both cabs working better...and it might be good practice to swap around the cab that you imput to first...as that will show up a problem with that cab/cable...

If you use 2 cabs with 2 outputs from the amp..it is harder to hear if the line if down.

[/quote]

thank you JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1478701651' post='3171041']
[u][b]I usually daisy chain 2 cabs out of one output as then I can hear both cabs working better[/b][/u]...and it might be good practice to swap around the cab that you imput to first...as that will show up a problem with that cab/cable...

[/quote]

How does that work? Can you hear a difference between the two cabs if they are connected this way?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1478729678' post='3171317']
How does that work? Can you hear a difference between the two cabs if they are connected this way?

Frank.
[/quote]

No... you want to know that both cabs are actually working..rather than assume they both are and only find out that wasn't the case when you had to push the cab hard when working as a single. Often this will be too late and you have over powered your cab
The way I do it is to put the cabs in line from one amp output and swap cables to the cab around to see both are working...hence both cabs working. You could be unlucky and have the first cable working and the second but that is why you test often and vary things.

I just find this way round the better way..I guess it doesn't REALLY matter as long as you devise a test to make sure both are working.

I did have one cab fail during a gig and the only hint was that I knew I was driving the amp hard... fortunately the failure didn't trash the other cab as well..

I do think there is a subtle difference to one cab being out of the loop... but you aren't likely to pick it up in a gig situation..and certainly not when the whole band has started up...