Why become a member? ×

Precisions with 1.75"/44mm neck?

Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478549844' post='3169857']
Can anyone suggest a precision with a 1.75" wide nut?
Fender 50s Roadworn (and other 50s varieties)
Fender Roger Waters
I believe some Steve Harris sigs.
Anything else I've missed? Doesn't have to be Fender...
[/quote]

Just working from memory but I think the American Vintage '58 and '63 both have a 44.1mm nut width too :-) Pino Palladino CS model comes in at 44.45mm.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478550987' post='3169873']
Oh yeah, but let's keep an eye on budget! I should have said sub-Roadworn money...
[/quote]

:-D

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/294183-fender-precision-1958-american-vintage-reissue/page__p__3162784__hl__fender%20american%20vintage__fromsearch__1#entry3162784

I'm not sure any of the Steve Harris Fenders had a 1.75" nut, certainly the 2009 blue one I had and the MIM white model have the 1.615" nut.

Another option for you could be to try and find a roadworn neck for transplant onto the body of your choice? I personally really rate the neck of a RW Precision.

EDIT: That 58ri in the marketplace is verrrrry nice. :gas:

Edited by LewisK1975

Not sure what the actual width was, but I recently played a Steve Harris sig, and compared it to a few other Precisions in the same shop
The Steve Harris was the widest, and deepest / chunkiest of the lot. It reminded me of an early '70's P I had years back, which was wider & chunkier than other P's I had tried at that time - mine had a maple board.....

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1478595185' post='3170067']
Another option for you could be to try and find a roadworn neck for transplant onto the body of your choice? I personally really rate the neck of a RW Precision.
[/quote]

Again, something I'd already considered, but well into 300 quid by the time it would be delivered. Probably best seeking out a complete Roadworn P - would HAVE to be sunburst though!

(You know what this is for Lewis, having discussed it a bit last week. I've a wanted ad up for the Will Power pickups to try in one of my current P basses first, but no joy yet...)

My 83 P has the wide nut width, i don't know the name of the series (if there was one), they were black/maple with white pickup covers and a white guard, worth looking out for if you like the feel of wider width necks. i'm always surprised by how nice it is to play, despite having small hands. I find fast solos that involve a lot of string skipping tricky on it but for everything else it's perfect.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1478615602' post='3170308']
My 83 P has the wide nut width, i don't know the name of the series (if there was one), they were black/maple with white pickup covers and a white guard, worth looking out for if you like the feel of wider width necks. i'm always surprised by how nice it is to play, despite having small hands. I find fast solos that involve a lot of string skipping tricky on it but for everything else it's perfect.
[/quote]

Sounds like an Elite. Does it have a fairly substantial bridge as opposed to a BBOT?

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478613904' post='3170300']
(You know what this is for Lewis, having discussed it a bit last week. I've a wanted ad up for the Will Power pickups to try in one of my current P basses first, but no joy yet...)
[/quote]

Indeed, and you [i]will [/i]find everyting you're looking for in an Attitude ltd / 2 / 3. They do, as you know, command high prices though. And I personally think the current version 3 is way overpriced when new. Just depends how bad the GAS is I suppose!

The Attitude II would be more likely than the III for me, and they seem to be around the £750 (achievable) to £1k (a step too far). I think visually I'd rather add a neck pickup to a precision, but adding £160+ quid of pickups to a Roadworn and you'd be into lower Attitude territory...

I've never played an Attitude, or a Roadworn P for that matter but I have played a Classic 50's P which has the same neck dimensions minus the "softening" and liked it a lot. Oh decisions, decisions... If I can locate some Will Power pickups I might just put them in my Yamaha Pulser and be done with it!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478618228' post='3170327']

Sounds like an Elite. Does it have a fairly substantial bridge as opposed to a BBOT?
[/quote]

Not an Elite, it's one of these but in black:
http://thebasspalace.com/images/157c.JPG
(sorry am on phone so can't post the pic)

I paid a relatively ok £600ish for mine but it's far from pristine, bought off craigslist while in nyc about 6 years ago in a bit of a state. Has been my main bass since then, despite having much nicer, lighter and easier to play basses. Just has a good solid feel to it.

Edited by project_c

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1478621996' post='3170380']
If I can locate some Will Power pickups I might just put them in my Yamaha Pulser and be done with it!
[/quote]

Again, they don't seem to come up secondhand - IIRC they're not [i]too [/i]badly priced anyway...

In fact, here you go: £69 in GAK, in stock.

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/dimarzio-dp146-will-power-middle/97031?gclid=Cj0KEQiA9ZXBBRC29cPdu7yuvrQBEiQAhyQZ9OphMavJ48x8SOwo7tEuRCsZ9BCcnlE2M5eZbxW7yE8aApno8P8HAQ

Oh I forgot to add - Don't waste your hard earned on having to get the will power neck pickup, for one it's expensive, and secondly they don't even use it in the V3 Attitude, it's a yamaha pickup.

I've even known someone to put a Dimarzio X2n (guitar pickup) in there and had great results. There's also an X2nb which is the same pickup but has more bottom end. Both cheaper than the will power neck pickup.