Why become a member? ×

Highway Star Deep Purple accurate tab anyone??

thebigyin

Hi Folks anyone help me out with some accurate tab for Highway Star the Deep Purple classic got some bits but some very busy parts i'm struggling with any help advice greatly appreciated i have come to the conclusion how poor a Bassist i am and desperately need to improve i find it difficult to work out some songs by ear cheers Bob

I've played this in a covers band for a while - the only bits I did verbatim were the bridge/chorus and the part which comes at the end of the first solo. There's a lovely isolated bass track on Youtube and a really good bass "playalong" too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mLryrT1ZMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylIGN8ugo5s

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1477418889' post='3162112']...accurate tab for Highway Star the Deep Purple classic...
[/quote]

Here you are...

[attachment=230788:Deep Purple - Highway Star.pdf]

[attachment=230789:Deep Purple - Highway Star (2).pdf]

Same as before; download and change the suffix to 'Pdf'.

Thanks so much again i will have a good look at both tomorrow just had a little bash at Fool for your loving i was pretty close with the intro sounded fairly good just playing it without the music just picking bits up by ear but realised it was a tad out when jamming along with the track but the tab has helped cheers again Bob

Guest bassman7755

To avoid confusion guy in the vid plays 2 bits wrong:
1:18 (isolated bass track) the bit over "Im a highway star...."
original line is a root-5th lick i.e. C-G-C D-A-D C-G-C D-A-D C-G-C D-A-D F-C-F G-D-G A ...
2:26 (isolate bass track) the unison run up is C D F G A C C-D whereas the guy in the vid play C C#-D at the end, only one note out but its quite an important one when your playing unison with kbd and guitar.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1477422405' post='3162165']
original line is a root-5th lick i.e. C-G-C D-A-D C-G-C D-A-D C-G-C D-A-D F-C-F G-D-G A ...
2:26 (isolate bass track) the unison run up is C D F G A C C-D whereas the guy in the vid play C C#-D at the end, only one note out but its quite an important one when your playing unison with kbd and guitar.
[/quote]

Oh...I thought the isolated track was the actual Glover line someone had peeled off a Rock Band game....?

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1477429744' post='3162243']
Oh...I thought the isolated track was the actual Glover line someone had peeled off a Rock Band game....?
[/quote]

It is, I used the the timings from the actual track, but its the guy doing the cover who play those bits wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1477422405' post='3162165']
[/quote]

Thankyou

Highway Star was transcribed in the January 2012 issue of Bass Player magazine, I've got it here. I can scan it if it's of interest - I've already spotted a couple of differences to the transcription above. I've no idea which is more accurate mind you.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1477469473' post='3162375']
Highway Star was transcribed in the January 2012 issue of Bass Player magazine, I've got it here. I can scan it if it's of interest - I've already spotted a couple of differences to the transcription above. I've no idea which is more accurate mind you.
[/quote]
Thankyou that would be great cheers Bob

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1477473745' post='3162408']
What a tune!. Deep Purple at their absolute best IMO. If we had a keyboard it would be the no1 track in our set player in our covers band. Get to work and enjoy
[/quote]
Ha,ha thanks for the reply