Why become a member? ×

annual leave chaos

christhammer666

morning all
just after some opinions. I having nightmare with my work regarding annual leave, its chaos trying to get time off. My band are now understandably getting twitchy as we are trying to find time to record a new album and book gigs. I hate the idea of booking a gig midweek and then racing somewhere on the train.I prefer the comfort of having the day of and preparing properly.

Anyone else have trouble with their bands regarding leave ?

Jamie

i only took holidays for tours and recording, when possible i would work around it and work then go to gigs. i tried to take time off once, and found the "prep" time just turned into general house work and bullshit, so just go to gigs from work these days.

with enough warning booking the time off shouldn't be an issue

Edited by RockfordStone

To add to the above, IME mid-week gigs, unless your band (or one of the other bands on the bill) has a sizeable following, are a complete waste of time. At best you play to a handful of totally disinterested punters. Stick to Friday and Saturday nights (plus Sunday or Thursday at a push if the bands and/or venue has the right reputation) and leave it at that.

When my band starts to earn me more than my day job it can take priority... That will be never.

Can you get more advanced notice of possible gigs to try and manage your work and leave further ahead or are they mostly coming last minute? Don't know your work schedule but if it clashes with prime gigging time might be best to use your work schedule to drive when the band can and can't gig, where possible

my other bands pretty sensible in the sense that if we get offered a midweek gig outside of London we give it the elbow as the logistics are a pain.
the other band the member are pretty flexible with their leave so are looking into tours and recording where min is more of a pain to sort.I suppose I was worried about my place being in jeopardy but as UK LEFTY put it perfectly, when a band pays more than your day job then it can take priority

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477390989' post='3161862']
To add to the above, IME mid-week gigs, unless your band (or one of the other bands on the bill) has a sizeable following, are a complete waste of time. At best you play to a handful of totally disinterested punters. Stick to Friday and Saturday nights (plus Sunday or Thursday at a push if the bands and/or venue has the right reputation) and leave it at that.
[/quote]

Pretty much nails ot for me.