Why become a member? ×

Fender Bass VI

darkandrew

Thanks for your thoughts. We bought a couple of Squiers (a Strat and a "P" bass) at work a few years ago and I was really unimpressed with the quality of them to be honest - looks like I'd be similarly unimpressed with a Squier Bass VI. The strange thing is that I have a couple of Korean made Fenders (a Tele and a Showmaster) of my own and they are great guitars - very well made. I guess that if I want a Bass VI, I'll have to look out for a "real" Fender one, although having a quick look around, they seem to be very rare and very expensive.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1477406494' post='3162019']
Thanks for your thoughts. We bought a couple of Squiers (a Strat and a "P" bass) at work a few years ago and I was really unimpressed with the quality of them to be honest - looks like I'd be similarly unimpressed with a Squier Bass VI. The strange thing is that I have a couple of Korean made Fenders (a Tele and a Showmaster) of my own and they are great guitars - very well made. I guess that if I want a Bass VI, I'll have to look out for a "real" Fender one, although having a quick look around, they seem to be very rare and very expensive.
[/quote]
to be fair, the finish quality on mine is really nice, i think my issues are known issues for an instrument of it's type, not necessarily caused by the fact it is squier.

to be honest, i keep thinking about selling it, but then i don't cos it is quite cool once you get it set up to play nice

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477420199' post='3162133']
I'd agree that the short comings of the Squier Bass VI are down to the design of the instrument and not anything that is lacking because it's made to a tighter budget than a "real" Fender.
[/quote]

Sorry - I'd jumped to the conclusion, maybe incorrectly then, that the non-locking trem on the Squier version was causing the intonation issues (apparently the Fender version has a locking trem). If the Squire VM models are pretty much the same as the full Fender then I think I'll definitely be looking out for one. What do you think of this? It appears to be a Bass VI by another name, with a fixed bridge and Jazz Master pickups:

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_vintage_mod_baritone_jazzmaster_antigua.asp?gclid=CMqRmZTY9s8CFcRAGwodsH4Ejw

By the way, are any Squiers still made in Korea or are they all made elsewhere now and how do they compare with, say, a MIM Fender?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477420199' post='3162133']
I'd agree that the short comings of the Squier Bass VI are down to the design of the instrument and not anything that is lacking because it's made to a tighter budget than a "real" Fender.
[/quote]

Very much so. I've got a mid-90s Japanese reissue and it's got the same problems as I've read the Squier ones have - very picky about strings, the stock bridge is a sod to intonate, etc.

Every now and again I get it out but I've never really stuck with it for long.

Any intonation issues (I don't have any on mine) are down to the design of the bridge which is completely separate from the vibrato unit.

AFAICS the Staytrem bridge solves any tuning and intonation problems by giving the saddles a wider travel length and also by making a model that doesn't rock back and forth with vibrato usage. Apparently you can also prevent this rocking by fitting a sleeve around the height adjustment posts.

TBH the vibrato system is fairly redundant on this instrument. Even with the lighter gauge string that are supplied as standard there is minimal pitch change, and once you've fitted any decent heavier strings even less. I can't really see the need for a locking system on the Bass VI as it moves so little anyway!

Finally my Squier VM Bass VI has a Crafted in Indonesia sticker on the back of the headstock. I have no idea how the quality compares with a MiM Fender (of any kind) because I've never played one.

That Baritone Jazzmaster looks interesting. The scale length is right for it to be usable as a Bass VI. However you'd need to try them side by side to see which one you prefer the sound of since the pickups and electronics are very different. At the moment my favourite pickup combinations on the Bass VI use the middle pickup in conjunction with either the bridge or the neck pickup. Also the Jazzmaster doesn't have the strangle switch which IMO is essential if you are intending to use it in a band with either another "conventional" bass player or a synth player that covers the bass end too.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1477423234' post='3162172']
Sorry - I'd jumped to the conclusion, maybe incorrectly then, that the non-locking trem on the Squier version was causing the intonation issues (apparently the Fender version has a locking trem). If the Squire VM models are pretty much the same as the full Fender then I think I'll definitely be looking out for one. What do you think of this? It appears to be a Bass VI by another name, with a fixed bridge and Jazz Master pickups:

[url="http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/fender_vintage_mod_baritone_jazzmaster_antigua.asp?gclid=CMqRmZTY9s8CFcRAGwodsH4Ejw"]http://www.richtonem...CFcRAGwodsH4Ejw[/url]

By the way, are any Squiers still made in Korea or are they all made elsewhere now and how do they compare with, say, a MIM Fender?

Thanks again for your thoughts.
[/quote]

The problem with the VI bridge is lack of travel for intonation which, as BigRedX mentioned, can be solved by upgrading to the Staytrem bridge.

I had one of the Baritone JMs for a while and planned to change it to a VI but found the holes in the bridge were too small to work with the VI strings without modification, so be aware that might be an issue. It was pretty good as a baritone but I found I wasn't using it at all so moved it on.

I really like all the current Squier gear (apart from the Bullets and Affinitys) to be honest. The Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series are really great value for money and miles above any of the budget ranges the other big manufacturers offer. They've clearly put a lot of research into designing them and getting them to a decent budget.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477435895' post='3162295']
AFAICS the Staytrem bridge solves any tuning and intonation problems by giving the saddles a wider travel length and also by making a model that doesn't rock back and forth with vibrato usage. Apparently you can also prevent this rocking by fitting a sleeve around the height adjustment posts.
[/quote]

I fitted Mustang bridges to my VI, which improved things...I wonder whether I should try the Staytrem ?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477561076' post='3162935']
I fitted Mustang bridges to my VI, which improved things...I wonder whether I should try the Staytrem ?
[/quote]

AFAICS the Staytrem bridge is an improvement if you need more intonation adjustment after fitting the LaBella Strings or if you are finding that the bridge rocks back and forth on the height adjustment supports when you are playing (although this can also be cured by finding metal tubing with the appropriate inside and outside diameters and fitting them over the supports).

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477564190' post='3162972']
AFAICS the Staytrem bridge is an improvement if you need more intonation adjustment after fitting the LaBella Strings or if you are finding that the bridge rocks back and forth on the height adjustment supports when you are playing (although this can also be cured by finding metal tubing with the appropriate inside and outside diameters and fitting them over the supports).
[/quote]

OK thanks for the info. I'll have to check which strings I have on mine.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477587230' post='3163229']
OK thanks for the info. I'll have to check which strings I have on mine.
[/quote]
i string mine slightly differently. i bought a set of bass vi strings, and then swapped out the low E and replaced it with a string off a standard bass. i always found the typical bass vi string to be too flimsy and that affected my intonation.

i also flipped the bridge round and stopped it moving using cut up business cards. a bit DIY but it works nice now

Edited by RockfordStone

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1477645874' post='3163505']
I checked last night and I've got a set of D'addario XL156 on mine (0.084 - .0.24), and it actually plays better than I remember. It needs some TLC electrically and the action's quite high.....but maybe I should try and wrestle it into shape again.
[/quote]

Those strings IIRC are the same gauge as the Fender ones that come fitted to the Squier VM Bass VI. Changing these to the LaBellas (0.095 - 0.026) makes a massive difference especially to the overall balance between strings and the sound and feel low E and A strings. However you might run out of room for intonation on the low E (I didn't - but only just) and need to upgrade to a Staytrem bridge to fix this.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1477649861' post='3163540']
Those strings IIRC are the same gauge as the Fender ones that come fitted to the Squier VM Bass VI. Changing these to the LaBellas (0.095 - 0.026) makes a massive difference especially to the overall balance between strings and the sound and feel low E and A strings. However you might run out of room for intonation on the low E (I didn't - but only just) and need to upgrade to a Staytrem bridge to fix this.
[/quote]

I've had .095's on it before and found the string tension to be very poor, but I've not tried the La Bella strings.

Thanks for the advice :)

I was playing it again last night, boy...it needs some solder love.

Edited by ahpook

I bought the Japanese 2 pickup version (curiously called a jaguar) it has a 28.5" neck with bass strings. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the tone from it as a bass. I restrung it with baritone guitar strings and it sounded really interesting. Like a spaghetti western guitar. I sold it on eventually. It was a bit of an oddity in my opinion and I just couldn't find a use for it. If I wanted a 6string bass I'd go out ant a proper one. This is neither here nor there.

[quote name='Quilly' timestamp='1477746020' post='3164221']
I bought the Japanese 2 pickup version (curiously called a jaguar) it has a 28.5" neck with bass strings. To be honest I wasn't impressed with the tone from it as a bass. I restrung it with baritone guitar strings and it sounded really interesting. Like a spaghetti western guitar. I sold it on eventually. It was a bit of an oddity in my opinion and I just couldn't find a use for it. If I wanted a 6string bass I'd go out ant a proper one. This is neither here nor there.
[/quote]

That particular model is actually marketed as a Baritone guitar rather than a Bass VI, and with a 28½" scale length it is far more suited to being strung with baritone strings and tuned B-B even if it did appear to have been originally sold with heavier gauge Bass VI strings and tuned E-E. Also IME the middle pickup of the Bass VI is essential for getting the most usable tones out of it. It's not surprising that you were disappointed with it.

BigRedX: LIsten to the Jet Harris/Tony |Meehan recording "Diamonds" and tell me the trem isnt useful.
A guitarist friend has an original old one that he bought and restrung with guitar strings back in the sixties.
He now refers to it as "my pension" but I think he might be optimistic as to its value.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1477925607' post='3165295']
BigRedX: LIsten to the Jet Harris/Tony |Meehan recording "Diamonds" and tell me the trem isnt useful.
A guitarist friend has an original old one that he bought and restrung with guitar strings back in the sixties.
He now refers to it as "my pension" but I think he might be optimistic as to its value.
[/quote]

I will do. All I'm saying is that with the LaBella strings fitted on my Bass VI, I'm going to need to seriously build up my right arm muscles in order to be able to work the vibrato to enough of an extent for me to hear the pitch of the strings change...