Why become a member? ×

Genesis - Six of The Best - 2/10/82

As a result of the Talk Talk thread where I cited the above gig as being the first time I saw them, it got me thinking about the reason I was there in the first place i.e. to see Genesis.

Accepted that it was a few years ago and we weren't all walking about with iPhones, but I find it strange that there is no video anywhere, that I can find at least, of Genesis with Gabriel.

I know the band weren't keen on it seeing the light of day, but it's been nearly 35 years since the gig for goodness sake. Who is going to bothered now?

I used to be quite active in the Genesis live recording community and there were rumours that there was footage somewhere. I for one would love to see it. I have many differently mastered versions of the audio in various formats, but the video remains elusive.

Does anyone here have any information as to video existing or any other recollections of the day (other than it rained all day).

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1476202930' post='3152286']
I hear rumours that Peter Gabriel has a film of it, but then again Mike Rutherford's said both "I'm glad it wasn't filmed, it was a bit ropey" and "We should have filmed it in hindsight" (paraphrasing both).
[/quote]

I've heard the same rumours. I think it is, or a version of it, under lock and key at The Farm. I would be absolutely staggered if there wasn't some video of it somewhere. There appear to be no shortage of photo's from the day and it appears more than a few have the audio which has been "remastered" so many times I've lost count myself.

I think the band were unanimous that it wasn't perfect, but I don't think anyone expected it to be given the technical aspects of their work and the time frame they had to get it together.

Maybe one day.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1476253213' post='3152643']
The band have already plundered their archives for various boxed sets. I think the Lyceum shows from 1980 had 'enhanced' audio - good sound recordings spliced into them.
Maybe when Mike needs another polo pony or Phil has to settle another divorce we'll see the barrel scraped a bit more 😋
[/quote]

Yes, your probably right. I still have my original VHS that I recorded the Lyceum show on when it was broadcast on The Old Grey Whistle Test.

Have you seen the amalgam of both nights. I really enjoyed that.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1476259015' post='3152684']
Does the 1980 show exist in a cleaned-up official version? I've got a bootleg of it, not sure which version. It sounds ok but if there's a better one around I wouldn't mind hearing it.
[/quote]

There's an edit of it on the Duke DVD...

For those of you that don't know, the reason the crowd are going mental immediately after Jonathan King finishes waffling and during the extended bass drum intro to Back In N.Y.C. was that Peter Gabriel was "brought back from the dead" by being carried on a stage in a coffin which he then leapt out of and went straight into the song. Still gives me goosebumps listening to it.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1476254081' post='3152648']
Yes, your probably right. I still have my original VHS that I recorded the Lyceum show on when it was broadcast on The Old Grey Whistle Test.

Have you seen the amalgam of both nights. I really enjoyed that.
[/quote]Yes I've seen that on YT and it's good.

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen this...ah yes, bin bags inside your wellies!
I love Talk Talk's later stuff now but back then, no chance!
I also remember John Martyn being there but I have no recollection of his set.

Memories of the Wind & Wuthering tour, Manchester Free Trade Hall, January '77 6th row and those Jumbo Jet landing lights all coming on at once during Los Endos...wow!
Has anyone got links to footage of that?

[quote name='skb558' timestamp='1478008751' post='3165942']
Just seen this...ah yes, bin bags inside your wellies!
I love Talk Talk's later stuff now but back then, no chance!
I also remember John Martyn being there but I have no recollection of his set.

Memories of the Wind & Wuthering tour, Manchester Free Trade Hall, January '77 6th row and those Jumbo Jet landing lights all coming on at once during Los Endos...wow!
Has anyone got links to footage of that?
[/quote]

Dallas 77?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjdSbmSECk

[quote name='jonsmith' timestamp='1478052676' post='3166426']
Dallas 77?

[url="https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjdSbmSECk"]https://youtube.com/...h?v=ZsjdSbmSECk[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks, Jon. Yes, Dallas was a promo video for 'Seconds Out' and is pretty much all there is of Los Endos' for the '77 tour, trouble is it goes to stills during the closing section which I'm sure was all white lights and smoke but it was nearly 40 years ago. The earlier part of the clip might have been all there was.

Edited by skb558