Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Tokai Precision Hardpuncher Bass. Early 80's Black R/W neck
£495

geoff90guitar

Spaghetti logo. These early models caused a conflict with Fender, they didn't like it. Lawsuit if you like.
Funny how the woods in the 82-83 USA Fenders, Fenders up to 73', 82-83 JV's and early Tokai basses give the basses a warm tone, punchy, and an even volume across the strings (including pre CBS of course) and are much sought after.
I've replaced the original pickup - which is A1, with a Seymour SPB3. As the pole pieces in the SD are big, it does make it a very loud bass.
Has some dings on the body as you would expect.
Frets still good with no fret buzz.
Truss rod works fine.
Nut width 40mm
Weight 3.9kg 8.6lbs.
Original p/u included
New set of 45-105 Rotosound round wound strings on.
Tatty case included.

Edited by geoff90guitar

Ive just re-weighed the bass on another set of scales for potential packaging/price and the bass alone weighs 4lbs not 3.8lbs as stated.
No big deal and it's typical of JVs.
Also, the colour looks dark green on some shots but the flash plays tricks, it is black.

Geoff

Nothing,
I replaced it with the SPB3 because of oversize magnets etc and a higher output.
I play in a classic rock band now ACDC Lizzy and all that and this calls for extra woomph. I tried to do it with a Musicman but it didn't work for me.
Thanks for your interest

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1475518335' post='3146578']
Spaghetti logo. These early models caused a conflict with Fender, they didn't like it. Lawsuit if you like.
Funny how the woods in the 82-83 USA Fenders, Fenders up to 73', 82-83 JV's and early Tokai basses give the basses a warm tone, punchy, and an even volume across the strings (including pre CBS of course) and are much sought after.
I've replaced the original pickup - which is A1, with a Seymour SPB3. As the pole pieces in the SD are big, it does make it a very loud bass.
Has some dings on the body as you would expect.
Frets still good with no fret buzz.
Truss rod works fine.
Nut width 40mm
Weight 3.9kg 8.6lbs.
Original p/u included
New set of 45-105 Rotosound round wound strings on.
Tatty case included.
[/quote]
Nnnnnice. These Tokais are often better than the real thing. GLWTS!

I own a Tokai Jazz and I can assure that these sound better than a number of vintage Fenders I've tried or owned. I used to play Tokai basses during the 80s when I was touring with one of the famous Eastern European rock band. So grab it if you can! These are gems! I was supposed to buy that bass but unfortunately my herd got too big already as I just got two almost identical JV Squiers from the same era.

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1475741364' post='3148299']
Ive just re-weighed the bass on another set of scales for potential packaging/price and the bass alone weighs 4lbs not 3.8lbs as stated.
No big deal and it's typical of JVs.
Also, the colour looks dark green on some shots but the flash plays tricks, it is black.

Geoff
[/quote] Do you mean 4 Kilos not lbs