Why become a member? ×

Musicians Against Homelessness/Crisis

NancyJohnson

I'm going to blow my own trumpet here.

My band were the third artist to get picked up for this cause. We put on two gigs (Basingstoke/Guildford) and our vocalist did one with his other band in Landaan. We raised just under £800.00 in total. All bands gave their time for nothing, venues and engineers cut their fees, a couple of bands who hated each other set aside differences and now get on like a house on fire.

Well chuffed.

Good work - most people think of homelessness as just the street homeless who are viewed as "tramps".

It's a far bigger problem than this with many thousands of families and children affected - imagine the sort of education a child is likely to get if they're forced to move every 6 months.

Many homeless people are ex-servicemen (and women) and care leavers - some of the most vulnerable groups of people (lots of ex-servicemen suffer from PTSD) - anything you can do to raise awareness and alleviate this situation will surely be appreciated.

Sorry if this sounds "preachy" but I used to work for Shelter and saw the effects of homelessness on a daily basis.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1475433135' post='3145883']
Good work - most people think of homelessness as just the street homeless who are viewed as "tramps".

It's a far bigger problem than this with many thousands of families and children affected - imagine the sort of education a child is likely to get if they're forced to move every 6 months.

Many homeless people are ex-servicemen (and women) and care leavers - some of the most vulnerable groups of people (lots of ex-servicemen suffer from PTSD) - anything you can do to raise awareness and alleviate this situation will surely be appreciated.

Sorry if this sounds "preachy" but I used to work for Shelter and saw the effects of homelessness on a daily basis.
[/quote]

Not at all Mick, I agree with all of that 100%. A lot of people dismiss the homeless saying they do it by choice, just to opt out of "normal" society. My retort to that is that people with such thoughts should go out at 11:30pm on a wet November or February night and consider whether they`d want that as their bedroom/life.

Particularly agree about the ex-services - there`s a disproportionate amount of homeless people from our forces, something we as a country should be ashamed of. It might not be much, and we can`t do it for all of them, but see someone on the streets - and you can tell the genuine a mile off - and slip them some spare change. A hot drink may seem the norm to us but it must be a luxury if you`re on the streets 24/7.

Well done, very honourable. Homelessness is a horrid horrid thing, one that needs some more compassion. I was in a local supermarket here the other week and the manager was marching a homeless man out of the store, pinching her nose and waving her other hand in front of her nose, demonstrating her disgust for the customers to see.

I don't go there any more.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1475435831' post='3145909']

Not at all Mick, I agree with all of that 100%. A lot of people dismiss the homeless saying they do it by choice, just to opt out of "normal" society.
[/quote]

There is an element of truth to that in some cases , where someone offered help would not want to change their situation , or do anything that might require dealing with questions or forms etc , but the reason they have got to that point in their decision making begs the question that whilst it's a choice technically , the person has lost the ability to actively choose another path. Asking someone cynical of homeless people to understand how a simple choice like getting off the streets would be difficult to some , is like asking someone uniformed to understand the thought process behind suicide or addiction.

We are all one or two disasters away from rock bottom , and anyone can end up there, I've worked in rehabs and shelters and have met people from every starting point, scary stuff.

Back on to the Op , well done on the fundraising , just don't tell Blue you did a free gig :)

Edited by lojo