Why become a member? ×

Pain

Funky Dunky

I've been getting occasional pain in my left arm for a few months. Sometimes in my forearm, sometimes in the crook of the arm. It feels like a twinge, isn't agony or crazily intense, but gets painful enough to elicit a bit of a grimace. Typically lasts for about a minute or two, then goes away, and usually comes and goes over about 15-20 minutes.

Could this be bass-related? Does it sound familiar to anyone?

I've been to the doc because I was initially concerned about my heart with it being in my left arm (there's a degree of sense in my thinking that, honest!) And he took my pulse, blood pressure and even ran blood tests, then declared my heart to be tip-top. So then I got to wondering if it could be some kind of RSI from playing bass...although it almost never hurts WHILE playing bass.

Any thoughts?

Sit in front of a mirror whilst playing, or video yourself. Watch for any tenseness or awkward positions.

Your strap should be long enough so the bass sits on your lap (ideally). If it's too long, or too short, that can cause problems. You may be having to reach too far down for your bass, or if it's too short you could be limiting the blood supply to your arm.

Just played a gig as a bassist for the first time for many years and in spite of many practises of many hours, much more than the gig itself with no problems, experienced massive pain/cramp in the left forearm (I'm right handed), would be interested in peoples thoughts. I think was a combination of massive nerves and bad diet, stroke need for a couple of beers before performance.

Do you do warm up exercises before you start playing? Stretching finger muscles, arm muscles etc.?

Again, have a look about how your bass is on the strap, and especially the angle of your left wrist while playing. Too sharp an angle, and you could be restricting blood flow.

Hmmm.

I don't take statins.

My basses don't have neck dive

I don't do a muscle warm up, but I'm definitely going to start. Playing for three hours IS a workout of sorts.

As for angle.....well, you've probably hit the nail on the head. My posture is shamefully bad in general, and seated practice is no different. I will amend that right away, incorporate a warm-up of sorts, and see if there's any difference.

Thanks guys.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1474638721' post='3139492']
Hmmm.

I don't take statins.

My basses don't have neck dive

I don't do a muscle warm up, but I'm definitely going to start. Playing for three hours IS a workout of sorts.

As for angle.....well, you've probably hit the nail on the head. My posture is shamefully bad in general, and seated practice is no different. I will amend that right away, incorporate a warm-up of sorts, and see if there's any difference.

Thanks guys.
[/quote]

Playing for three hours [u]without a break [/u]is not recommended. An hour at a time is as beneficial to the brain as it is to the hands/wrists/arms etc.

For warm ups.. ( and downs !!..do some stretches after a session also)...do some gentle stretches, before you even touch the bass itself. Do a search on Youtube for.."hand stretches for (bass) guitar.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1474645402' post='3139576']
Happy Jack did a brilliantly helpful tutorial on posture etc. a while back. Can't recall where it is but try a search.
[/quote]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqBRxu21oZc"]http://www.youtube....h?v=XqBRxu21oZc[/url]