Why become a member? ×

Essential licks for the bass guitarist

Nicko

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1473191975' post='3127925']

I'm the same.
Apart from the first few years when I was first learning I've never really learned any "Famous" bass parts - I never saw the point of wasting time learning something that I'd never ever have to play.
A lot of these "essential" bass lines are from songs I can't stand anyway (Rhythm Stick, Town Called Malice, pretty much all Soul & Motown stuff). I always found it far more enjoyable to just play stuff I enjoyed rather than what was thought of as essential.
[/quote]

I enjoy playing stuff venues are willing to pay for. I can find enjoyment in just about every bass line.

For some of us this is a business, it's not about what I enjoy.

I've been at this for 50 years and I have never been a bass lick snob.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473205561' post='3128042']
There's a certain licks you should know.

It's not art.

[/quote]

I usually agree with a lot that you post, I generally think that even though you have an American slant on things, there's a lot of wisdom gleamed from years of experience. However on this occasion, I disagree. I don't see that there are certain licks that you should know.

What is music if it's not art ?

A lot of these "essential" bass lines are from songs I can't stand anyway (Rhythm Stick, Town Called Malice, pretty much all Soul & Motown stuff). I always found it far more enjoyable to just play stuff I enjoyed rather than what was thought of as essential.

[/quote]

I totally agree. I've just never really had the time, inclination or seen the point in spending time learning 'classic' lines. I have done a lot of transcribing of lines, and solos, but I don't remember any of them. I have them written out, so could play them if necessary, but don't see the point in committing them to memory.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1473176467' post='3127699']
I simply don't remember bass lines I no longer play. I could play you my bands songs :)

[/quote]

The only one I know from the list is the into to Miles Davis's So what. I had to learn loads of lines for uni, but I don't remember any of them.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473206438' post='3128047']

I usually agree with a lot that you post, I generally think that even though you have an American slant on things, there's a lot of wisdom gleamed from years of experience. However on this occasion, I disagree. I don't see that there are certain licks that you should know.

What is music if it's not art ?
[/quote]

Music was probably not the best choice of words. I should have said Rock and Roll.

To me Rock and Roll is not art, it's fun and about having fun.

Blue

Edited by blue

I'm the same.
Apart from the first few years when I was first learning I've never really learned any "Famous" bass parts - I never saw the point of wasting time learning something that I'd never ever have to play.
[/quote]

You know where most guys that are limited to only music they enjoy.

In their bedroom and rightly so.

Blue

Because that's the way this bass playing stuff works. There's a certain licks you should know.

It's not art.

Blue
[/quote]

Sounds to me that the rock 'n' roll police are out again, telling people what they should and shouldn't know.

But actually there is no special reason for knowing those lines. I don't even know half of the songs let alone the basslines.

Because that's the way this bass playing stuff works. There's a certain licks you should know.

It's not art.

Blue
[/quote]

The licks you should know are the ones that are used in the songs that you play. By all means go and learn some others if it's what you want to do, but you don't NEED to know them.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1473205924' post='3128043']
I enjoy playing stuff venues are willing to pay for. I can find enjoyment in just about every bass line.

For some of us this is a business, it's not about what I enjoy.

I've been at this for 50 years and I have never been a bass lick snob.

Blue
[/quote]

If it was really as much about the business as you claim then IMO you should be honing your songwriting skills because that's where the really money in music is.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1473233444' post='3128118']
how about the major and minor scales?
[/quote]

Despite my original post this is of course correct, all bass players need a grounding in theory. Even in a overs band its useful to at least understand what you are playing.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1473192678' post='3127936']
Why should 'every player whatever style' be able to play them?
[/quote]

Because even if you play originals you will learn a lot from playing stuff that other people have written.

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1473237305' post='3128151']
Because even if you play originals you will learn a lot from playing stuff that other people have written.
[/quote]

Yes you can, but IME it can also stifle your creativity if you're not a very inventive musician.

By all means listen to other music and soak up the influences, but there's no need to be able play any of it note for note (or as best you can make out). When I'm writing I go for the notes/chords I can hear in my head, not the ones that fall most easily under my fingers.

Here`s a thought: An Old Bloke once told me to learn my instrument to the point where if I could sing it, I could play it.
Fabulous, golden words.
I have tried to live up to the advice and have to say it has made learning bass lines (at least the memorable ones like wot are being bandied about here) MUCH easier.
I was just thinking about "I want You Back" and had the actual bass line playing in my head without even realising I had heard it often enough to "know" it.
I am now tempted to see if I CAN still "just play" it.
Naah....

:lol:

Bugger - just googled "I want you back key signature" and got Ab!
I would have sworn it would be in A.....

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1473232302' post='3128112']

Sounds to me that the rock 'n' roll police are out again, telling people what they should and shouldn't know.

But actually there is no special reason for knowing those lines. I don't even know half of the songs let alone the basslines.
[/quote]

It's more like a wise suggestion.

Blue

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1473236699' post='3128143']

If it was really as much about the business as you claim then IMO you should be honing your songwriting skills because that's where the really money in music is.
[/quote]

Unfortunately have absolutely no song writing skills and no interest in writing songs.

I have an interest in getting paid every Friday and Saturday night.

Blue

I just need to know whatever I'm told I'll be playing at the weekend. If I've heard the song before I'll know it already (just how my brain works) but it surprises me how often stuff comes up that I've never heard which is not only great but apparently widely known. This is why I love depping.