Why become a member? ×

Croatian Music

seashell

I'm here on holiday in Croatia and watching CMC TV in my room. So far, it's all been clean cut young men singing Eurovision type songs on beaches, or 80's style 'rawk'.

Each genre entertaining enough in its own right. But I was wondering if there are any crucial Croatian bands I should be seeking out.

I think we might have at least one Croatian BCer. Is CMC TV a fair reflection of the Croatian Music scene? Or is there more to it than that?

Try and get to see some of the local bands playing actual Balkan music. It will scare the pants off you!
I got to jam with a band from Croatia a couple of years back. Closest thing I could think of was the yddish dance music I grew up with in north west London in the fifties.
Great stuff but for yer average rock and roller it was like falling into a vat of boiling pea soup!

Big fun though.....

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1473238946' post='3128176']
Try and get to see some of the local bands playing actual Balkan music. It will scare the pants off you!
I got to jam with a band from Croatia a couple of years back. Closest thing I could think of was the yddish dance music I grew up with in north west London in the fifties.
Great stuff but for yer average rock and roller it was like falling into a vat of boiling pea soup!

Big fun though.....
[/quote]
Saw Davy Graham in a tiny folk club playing loads of Baltic style music (he spent a lot of time working with musicians over there). Some crazy time signatures and forms! Hope you catch some out there.

I can't help with the Croatian music but I did see a Swiss band, playing American and English rock and country rock songs, in an "Irish pub" in Dubrovnik a couple of years ago if that helps? :blink:

Actually they were excellent and kept us in said plastic pub all night!

Edited by Raymondo