Why become a member? ×

P/P and P/MM configurations

ezbass

Anyone out there running these configurations? I've posed this question as part of a sort of pick up thread in Basses, but this seems a more appropriate area to ask the question. As much as I love the single P tone I sometimes what to add something a bit more bridgelike in sound (if you get my drift). I've tried P/Js but find that it's really all or nothing with that config, no real gradual blend of the J to speak of, almost as if a 3 way selector is being used as opposed to a blend knob or 2 vols. What's the story on double Ps and P/MM, can you just blend just a little of the bridge with these more powerful p/ups? These configs also seem to be fairly rare statistically speaking and I can't find any soundclips.

[quote name='ezbass' post='300179' date='Oct 5 2008, 09:42 PM']Anyone out there running these configurations? I've posed this question as part of a sort of pick up thread in Basses, but this seems a more appropriate area to ask the question. As much as I love the single P tone I sometimes what to add something a bit more bridgelike in sound (if you get my drift). I've tried P/Js but find that it's really all or nothing with that config, no real gradual blend of the J to speak of, almost as if a 3 way selector is being used as opposed to a blend knob or 2 vols. What's the story on double Ps and P/MM, can you just blend just a little of the bridge with these more powerful p/ups? These configs also seem to be fairly rare statistically speaking and I can't find any soundclips.[/quote]

Sandberg make several basses with a P/MM configuration. I've played a couple of the Precision types with that configuration, and theyr'e very nice indeed. Link here:

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/"]http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/[/url]

And I think Warwick do some models with P/P configuration, although I've never tried one.

I know what you mean about the on-off nature of passive PJ's, but I'm going to try using linear pots for the individual volumes (in my case just the bridge pickup - the neck is always on) - see [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28270"]this topic[/url]. My logic follows the notion that the increase in overall pickup load (drop in overall resistance) as you dial in an extra pickup might also contribute to the change in tone, thereby compounding the shift. In any case, using a linear pot will at the very least push the 'on' position further away from the 'full volume' position and hopefully increase the useful window.

If I get round to it (that is bother to buy a linear pot) I'll post to comment on the results.

I have a 1984 BC Rich Eagle that has the P/P configuration and it sounds fantastic! Admittedly, the pick ups are nice old vintage DiMarzios but nevertheless, I think there's a lot to be said for that configuration.

In this particular case, there is one volume pot for each pick up and one master tone control.. Oh, and it's passive.

There are no buzz or humming issues and you can blend the levels of the pick ups any which way you like.. Very simple to use and very versatile.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='300220' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:30 PM']I have a 1984 BC Rich Eagle that has the P/P configuration and it sounds fantastic! Admittedly, the pick ups are nice old vintage DiMarzios but nevertheless, I think there's a lot to be said for that configuration. You can blend the levels of the pick ups any which way you like.. Very simple to use and very versatile.[/quote]

I suspected that this might be the case given that the pickups are the same type (so one doesn't overpower the other as in a P/J) but trying to find a passive P/P to demo is as rare as rocking horse droppings. Another big thumbs up for this config too is that Bernard Edwards used one (we are not worthy, etc) but that's another topic.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='300220' date='Oct 5 2008, 11:30 PM']I have a 1984 BC Rich Eagle that has the P/P configuration and it sounds fantastic! Admittedly, the pick ups are nice old vintage DiMarzios but nevertheless, I think there's a lot to be said for that configuration.

In this particular case, there is one volume pot for each pick up and one master tone control.. Oh, and it's passive.

There are no buzz or humming issues and you can blend the levels of the pick ups any which way you like.. Very simple to use and very versatile.[/quote]
+1 on the Eagle – BC Riches are considered pointy “metal” basses now, but back in the late ‘70’s / early ‘80’s they were in the same league as Alembic, making hand-made boutique instruments, with custom electronics. The P at the bridge definitely gives more punch than a J. I thought they were all active though! (switchable to passive)
I’m sure there were some other ‘80’s basses that were P / P – Kramer or Westone maybe??? Would be a good DIY project on a cheap P-bass.

Edited by Shaggy

I have an active P/P config on a Mockingbird. It is currently set up with a 3-way switch and Vol / Vol, so I can blend in some bridge with the standard P pickup. I find that the normal P by itself is nowhere near as nice as with a bit of the bridge P in. In fact, instead of P with a bit of bridge blended in, I have found I prefer full bridge with a half volume P.

For the record, the pickups are both EMGs, going through an EMG BTC (active bass & tone control) and powered with 18v. It's quite a monster bass but I'm not sure that I like it enough.

Alternatively, there's this;

[url="http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0194060764"]Crikey! A Fender?[/url]

The last one I played was very good indeed, even in stock form.
Okay, it's a JJ, not an MM at the tail, but that beefs up the output considerably and banishes the hum compared to a single J.
Sounded really good, and I'm not a fan of Fender Pre amps...

heres my P/MM:

[attachment=14436:shuker_day_5__6_.JPG]

its great sounding, but not with the pickups together. i see why they don't normally put them together, they really don't mix well! it just sounds weak and weedy! they sound absolutely great seperatly, but i chose these cos i love P pickups with a pick and MM pickups with fingers, so i was never planning on blending them.

[quote name='lwtait' post='300699' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:11 PM']heres my P/MM:

its great sounding, but not with the pickups together. it just sounds weak and weedy![/quote]

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='300722' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:47 PM']But they are not out of phase with each other?[/quote]

That was my immediate reaction, replies on Talkbass to this question have revealed very happy people with P/MM.

I'm definitely liking the idea of getting another P bass and fitting an additional P pickup, probably with individual stacked vol/tone pots.

Hey mate, check out Lee/Leland Sklar's sound- his main recording and live bass for years was a Fender-like hybrid with twin P pickups. You can hear it famously on James Taylor's 'Your Smiling Face' where it features in a bass and drums breakdown- it sounds amazing! You should be able to find an audio clip or vid of that track on a certain website beginning with Y... :)

Hope this helps!

[quote name='Etienne' post='300742' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:21 PM']Hey mate, check out Lee/Leland Sklar's sound- his main recording and live bass for years was a Fender-like hybrid with twin P pickups. You can hear it famously on James Taylor's 'Your Smiling Face' where it features in a bass and drums breakdown- it sounds amazing! You should be able to find an audio clip or vid of that track on a certain website beginning with Y... :)

Hope this helps![/quote]

Awesome reply Etienne I'll certainly check that out.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='300722' date='Oct 6 2008, 06:47 PM']But they are not out of phase with each other?[/quote]

haha i dont know what that means tbh.

its not quiet or anything, just not a very powerful sound - i just find it thin and not a great sound.

[quote name='Etienne' post='300742' date='Oct 6 2008, 07:21 PM']Hey mate, check out Lee/Leland Sklar's sound- his main recording and live bass for years was a Fender-like hybrid with twin P pickups. You can hear it famously on James Taylor's 'Your Smiling Face' where it features in a bass and drums breakdown- it sounds amazing! You should be able to find an audio clip or vid of that track on a certain website beginning with Y... :)

Hope this helps![/quote]

Just listened to this on youtube [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJtKava4Wo"]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJtKava4Wo[/url] , you're right just a great tone. I feel a double P project on the horizon! Thanks again and to all the other posters.