Why become a member? ×

quandary of epiphany

vmaxblues

So, I have dabbled with 5 stringers several times, always have one kicking around for the odd noodle (Ibanez ATK305), but always gig four stringers.

Recently acquired in a trade a really nice Lakland 55-01, sounds great plays incredibly well, and whether it is the slightly wider string spacing or the flatter profile neck I find I can play it without the normal mindfog of adapting to the extra string.

So I have been picking it up as a preference to four stringers recently running through the set in readiness for a wedding gig this weekend. I have a full live band rehearsal tomorrow night and I am going to try and run the whole set with it.

I have it up for sale because I felt that I was still a four stringer......but I am just starting to wonder......

I think the answer's staring you in the face... take it off the market and give it six months.

Sounds like a nice bass so it's not going to lose much if any value so long as you don't ding it.

And give into the fun that it is 'five'...

A lot of time, people give up on 5s because they have the wrong mindset from the start.

We tend to think too much, instead of just letting go and playing, we're looking at the bass as a 4 string with an extra string. It's not that, it's a 5 string. I play most of my lines starting at the 5th fret on the B string, so that's my low E note, low F I would play at the 6th fret etc. Bb at the 1st fret on the A string I'd play at the 6th fret on the E string. If I have to play anything high up on the G string, then it's all there under my fingers.

We tend to be quite lazy, and also tend to play patterns, get away from playing patterns, and play notes. Know what the notes are in the lines you're playing.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1473018693' post='3126159']
I stopped using a five because I tended to play low notes too much. If I got another it would probably be tuned E-C.
[/quote]
??? Sorry, genuinely baffled by this. What line-up do you play with?

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1473019480' post='3126172']
??? Sorry, genuinely baffled by this. What line-up do you play with?
[/quote]

At that point, guitar guitar bass drum-machine vox. Originals, and a few covers which weren't like their originals at all. When we started recording stuff I had a serious rethink; it just didn't sit well with what we were doing. Why nobody else said that to me I don't know.

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1473021107' post='3126195']

At that point, guitar guitar bass drum-machine vox. Originals, and a few covers which weren't like their originals at all. When we started recording stuff I had a serious rethink; it just didn't sit well with what we were doing. Why nobody else said that to me I don't know.
[/quote]
Interesting especially with two guitars you found that.

Used the Lakland at the rehearsal last night, played our entire first set with it, and felt pretty comfortable with it, only slipped a couple of times.

Went on to do the second set with a 4, and amazingly that felt weird for the first couple of numbers!

I think it may well be worth persevering with the Lakland.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1473000179' post='3125891']
You can also play three different [b]root and fifths[/b] in one position on a fiver.
[/quote]

What I meant to say was root and octave. Doh!

I would go along with alyctes. I use fivers tuned E-C. I don't like a low B, bit to floppy in tone and feel for me. With a high C you can play chords much more easily without them sounding muddy as they would tuned B-G. Some might disagree. Equally not everyone will need this option.

"some might disagree" :-) on basschat, surely not :-)

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1473148548' post='3127277']
What I meant to say was root and octave. Doh!

I would go along with alyctes. I use fivers tuned E-C. I don't like a low B, bit to floppy in tone and feel for me. With a high C you can play chords much more easily without them sounding muddy as they would tuned B-G. Some might disagree. Equally not everyone will need this option.
[/quote]

I bought my five (Ibanez SR1805) about a year ago, partly inspired though the band needing to drop some songs 2-3 semitones to help our singer with top notes. Prior to that I had tried having two fours on the stage, one tuned concert, the other down a tone or one concert and the other BEAD - I found swapping instruments at various points of the set and then back again unwieldy though, it definitely held proceedings up.

By this point I had the five, but was adjusting to it and its relatively narrow string spacing slowly - the singer said 'why don't you just learn the lower songs in that key on the five, and have one bass?'. Simple enough, but that was the epiphany for me and I haven't looked back since: everything's much more straightforward now, and the combination of the Ib's tonal versatility and various other noises I can get through my recently acquired Zoom B3 covers all the bases (har!). I can't imagine going back to fours now, for gigs anyway, and greatly enjoy rearranging people's internal organs with the occasional low B.

Edited by lowland

I wasn't really sure why I first got a five but soon learnt that it's a far better instrument for gigging for me, much more flexible for hand positions and allowed me to play further up the neck - good for someone with short arms! I've played purely 5s for the last four years and would never go back now. They look cooler too 😎