Why become a member? ×

Suzanne Vega bass/vocal duet

3V17C

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='299691' date='Oct 5 2008, 12:39 AM']s she a bean flicker now?[/quote]
"bean flicker"? I think you mean "bean counter" - at least I hope you do, if the search results for that are any guide. :)

No, Suzanne is still making music, though she also does a bit of writing. Have a look at her recent NY Times [url="http://measureformeasure.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/toms-essay/"]essay[/url] about [i]Tom's Diner[/i] - where it came from, the impact it had, and how it led to her being called "the Mother of the MP3".

[quote name='3V17C' post='299649' date='Oct 4 2008, 11:09 PM']caught this on sky arts the other night, pretty nice version of 'left of center' stripped down to just bass and vocals.

peace

c[/quote]

thanks for this 3V17C
Great bass on her albums curtesy of Michael Visceglia, lot's of good fretless on Solitude Standing. Plus I've always had a soft spot for her.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='299691' date='Oct 5 2008, 01:39 AM'][...]Is she a bean flicker now?[/quote]

Hmmm. I did see a pic of her with short hair.

Anyway, thanks for the clips, 3V17C. I haven't heard much of Ms Vega's music in the last ten years or so, and this was a welcomed reminder of how good she is. And those dimples in her cheeks make her look adorable!

I thought her first three albums were really good - managed to see her a few times in the late 80's / early 90's in London.

Mike Visceglia always plays great lines that compliment her songs - another bassist who probably wouldn't make a lot of people's top 10 or even top 100 bass players. Bit of a shame that he doesn't get a lot of interviews (I don't think BGM have done one on him - have Bass Player?).

memory escapes me what his website is, but there are some good interviews he's done with other players (Will Lee, Colin Moulding, Jeff Berlin & Neil Stubenhaus are the standouts).

Cheers,
iamthewalrus.

Saw him playing with SV a couple of years ago and I'm pretty sure they did that just bass & vocals one then, very good bass player. I'd never heard of him but was impressed with his taste in not overplaying yet would throw in fills and stuff where required that showed that he was a quality act.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='300067' date='Oct 5 2008, 07:30 PM']Me too. A waste of time if she turns out to ba a "bean flicker" all this time though. :huh:[/quote]
I don't believe you guys. Short hair = "bean flicker"? A look at Suzanne's [url="http://www.suzannevega.com/news/"]web pages[/url] would have told you that she used to be married to producer Mitchell Froom, and is now married to a bloke named Paul Mills, a lawyer & poet. Her hair's quite long, these days. :)

Edited by bnt

[quote name='bnt' post='300840' date='Oct 6 2008, 09:41 PM']I don't believe you guys. Short hair = "bean flicker"? A cursory look at Suzanne's web journal would have told you that she used to be married to producer Mitchell Froom, and is now married to a bloke named Paul Mills, a poet. Her hair's quite long, these days. :)[/quote]
Yeah I knew that (and she has kids). That's why there's a smiley after what I said. I was just refering to the silly comment above. :huh: :huh:

• 14 years later...

An old thread to revive but I am having a love affair with the tone from Michael Visceglia on the album “days of open hand”. Does anyone know what effects or basses he is used back then? I know he plays a lakland Bob glaub j bass nowadays. I just love the tone of his 5 string work and of his fretless. Is it octave with compression? Just resonates in that tone cavity in my chest.. I have a nice jazz fretless so just wondering how he gets that ‘chewy’/ burp sound.. I know he loves j style basses so could just have been a j style 5 and j style fretless.. just wondering what others thought? 

Edited by thewebow

25 minutes ago, thewebow said:

Does anyone know what effects or basses he is used back then?

Can only remember He played Fender Jazz basses. Never saw a 5 string back then.

He also has a Bass & Vocal duo called "Then There Were Two". I tried to use this concept with the singer from one of our old bands, but She wasn't open minded enough & the few gigs we did She mainly had me bashing out chords on an Acoustic guitar (not very fulfilling!!) So it didn't go anywhere. Think there's an interview with him on Bass Magazine online? He might mention effects there?

B

7 hours ago, thewebow said:

Did you remember if he played any fretless live when you saw him in 1987 ;)

Was so far from the stage he could have been playing a tennis racket for all I could see, an NEC hall is possibly not the best place to experience an artist like Suzanne Vega! Will have to see if I can dig out the live tape I have from round about that time and if it still plays see if I can tell from that