Why become a member? ×

Shipping a bass ?

flippyfloop

I've used ParcelForce successfully to ship to Italy and other European countries 2 or 3 times .

When shipping, detune the bass and make sure that the bass is completely protected in something like bubble-wrap. If in a hard case, put something like strong foam or cardboard under the headstock and give the neck as much protection as you can generally.

I've always tried to send in a hard case if it's going abroad but have used a gig bag on one occassion and that was fine. If it's a gig bag, then the bass needs to be in a strong cardboard box that is very securely taped up using gaffa tape or similar if you can..

Hope that helps..

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='299357' date='Oct 4 2008, 02:02 PM']I've used ParcelForce successfully to ship to Italy and other European countries 2 or 3 times .

When shipping, detune the bass and make sure that the bass is completely protected in something like bubble-wrap. If in a hard case, put something like strong foam or cardboard under the headstock and give the neck as much protection as you can generally.

I've always tried to send in a hard case if it's going abroad but have used a gig bag on one occassion and that was fine. If it's a gig bag, then the bass needs to be in a strong cardboard box that is very securely taped up using gaffa tape or similar if you can..

Hope that helps..[/quote]
Thanks buddy,
It's being sent to Italy ! Quite expensive instrument so a bit nervous about the whole shipping thing. Some very good advice. Cheers

I've sent lots with parcelforce , no hassles at all.
If its worth a lot I would use a hard case as well as wrapping.
The shipping will cost £40.00 - £50.00 so an old beat up case is always a good insurance policy for say £25.00
If the neck is bolt on taking it off is always the best practice.

[quote name='Prosebass' post='299421' date='Oct 4 2008, 03:58 PM']I've sent lots with parcelforce , no hassles at all.
If its worth a lot I would use a hard case as well as wrapping.
The shipping will cost £40.00 - £50.00 so an old beat up case is always a good insurance policy for say £25.00
If the neck is bolt on taking it off is always the best practice.[/quote]

Am I missing something with ParcelForce's online quotes then? I take it Europe is significantly less expensive than Canada, which is coming back as £280 without any insurance!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='299437' date='Oct 4 2008, 04:27 PM']Am I missing something with ParcelForce's online quotes then? I take it Europe is significantly less expensive than Canada, which is coming back as £280 without any insurance![/quote]

Well, you can drive to Italy. Thank you, thank you. I'll resume lurking now.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='299437' date='Oct 4 2008, 03:27 PM']Am I missing something with ParcelForce's online quotes then? I take it Europe is significantly less expensive than Canada, which is coming back as £280 without any insurance![/quote]

No. Parcel Force will move the goods Surface to Italy. It would move the goods Surface Air Lift or Air to Canada. A bass cased exceeds the Standard category air freight dimension criteria and is classed as an Oversized shipment. Although, Parcel Force isn't one of the more competitive carriers for outside of Europe. It's worth noting that there are several freight companies that won't accept musical instruments for air carriage unless shipped using ATA/CAA approved containers.

On the issue of shipping generally, I’d say remove the strings. The bass will be fine in a padded gigbag, if you put it in a strong cardboard box. That’s how most large manufacturers freight their products. But, for peace of mind you could pack any voids inside the box with polystyrene chippings.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='299437' date='Oct 4 2008, 04:27 PM']Am I missing something with ParcelForce's online quotes then? I take it Europe is significantly less expensive than Canada, which is coming back as £280 without any insurance![/quote]
A couple of years ago, I shipped a bass to Italy in a heavy old wooden flight case wrapped in cardboard and stuffed with bubblewrap for £90 via Parcelforce 24, insured for £600. It took 48h too get there so, I claimed and got a full refund. It arrived fine. Brucie.

The other week, I shipped a bass to Beefy in Leeds double-boxed in cardboard for £30 via Parcellforce 24 again, insured for £500. The inner box was one of those one gets new basses in from a local shop & the outer box a flightcase box. All free areas were again stuffed with bubblewrap. It also arrived fine.

Dropped them both off at the local Post Office as I am lucky enough to still have one. Got the quotes there too.

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='johnnylager' post='299464' date='Oct 4 2008, 05:10 PM']The other week, I shipped a bass to Beefy in Leeds double-boxed in cardboard for £30 via Parcellforce 24 again, insured for £500.[/quote]

Doesn't Parcelforce have an insurance limit of £150 for musical instruments? I seem to recall someone on here falling foul of that, maybe OBBM?

[quote name='pete.young' post='299504' date='Oct 4 2008, 06:00 PM']Doesn't Parcelforce have an insurance limit of £150 for musical instruments? I seem to recall someone on here falling foul of that, maybe OBBM?[/quote]
That's not what Mrs Miggins behind the counter told me, but she could well be wrong - I'll check the t&c's and come back if I can find the form...

And yes, wrong forum - mod?

EDIT: Ert, don't use Parcelforce -

[quote]Guitars and other musical instruments should be packaged in a hard case with sufficient internal packaging to ensure that the instrument cannot move during transit. Please note that if the instrument hard case is used as the external packaging then the case itself will be treated as packaging and not contents, as a result the case will not be covered for damage compensation. Any instrument strings should be loosened. [b]Musical instruments will only be covered up to £150 of compensation for loss or damage[/b].[/quote]

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='pete.young' post='299504' date='Oct 4 2008, 05:00 PM']Doesn't Parcelforce have an insurance limit of £150 for musical instruments? I seem to recall someone on here falling foul of that, maybe OBBM?[/quote]

For the Standard service. You can purchase additional insurance up to £2,500 - unless Parcel Force have changed the T&C quite recently. But all the add-on services are overpriced.

no i dont think musical instruments can be insured for any more than £150, full stop. You can't buy any additional insurance. Well you can, but it would be a complete waste of money when it came to claiming, as they would only give you a max of £150, and thats only when its in a hardcase AND has a thick box around it

Edited by BassManKev

I've shipped with fedex and ups to usa and they'll both insure up to £2500 ,but obviously it affects the price.Never used parcelforce,heard not very good reports about them.

And if it's the bass i think it is keep the strings on and at concert.The hornbeam laminates are more liable to give problems if you get a back bow than vice versa.

Just fix a few layers of bubble wrap onto and right around the harcase ,then get a box or make your own around it.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='300032' date='Oct 5 2008, 06:33 PM']no i dont think musical instruments can be insured for any more than £150, full stop. You can't buy any additional insurance. Well you can, but it would be a complete waste of money when it came to claiming, as they would only give you a max of £150, and thats only when its in a hardcase AND has a thick box around it[/quote]

Edited by walplayer

I've always shipped - and been shipped to - tuned to pitch and never had a problem. I had one bass shipped to me neck off and it was a PITA, especially as it was a Spector and all the bridge saddles fell off when I unwrapped the body.

Shipping costs are going up rapidly - I shipped one to Spain in Feb for £45 via Interparcel/UPS. In September the same service to Italy was £75.