Why become a member? ×

Intruments on planes - sign the petition

Earbrass

I worked in the airline industry for many years on the technical side. I left because of the ridiculous price wars that some operators embarked upon in the eighties.

Flying a vehicle that is heavier than air whilst carrying passengers is a massive responsibility and passengers must accept limitations or fly unsafely. It costs even when offering a stripped back service to passengers. More seats mean less freight capacity AND less cabin space per passenger for hand luggage. If it goes in the hold the weight of your luggage doesn't go away either.

Low fares meant that everyone took a pay cut except the "investors". I left when Ford garages were paying [i]car[/i] mechanics more than British Airways paid us aircraft "mechanics" after they took over Caledonian Airways just before the nineties. My next few contracts got paid a LOT more for writing about aero engineering than doing it and I bought a house. I would not work for the industry again for any money.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

Now, what were you complaining about?

Edited by SpondonBassed

The problem is that checked-in baggage is very often mistreated and not infrequently lost or misdirected, while many instruments are fragile, very valuable and, in the case of professional touring musicians, the tools they use to earn a living.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1470740474' post='3108028']
The problem is that checked-in baggage is very often mistreated and not infrequently lost or misdirected, while many instruments are fragile, very valuable and, in the case of professional touring musicians, the tools they use to earn a living.
[/quote]

Mental note for future: don't allow my playing or "tone" or whatever to rely on a fragile/valuable instrument; rather, develop a technique which works on middle-priced, easily replaceable equipment.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1470740474' post='3108028']
[/quote]

They are also often far too large to not go in the hold. My double bass wouldn't fit inside a Ryan air cabin in its soft case anyway.

If you have a small instrument like a violin and are being denied entry with it as a second carry on item then you need to combine the violin and your hand luggage into one item, small case with your other items packed around it, if you are trying to use the cabin case for all your clothes (as I do) then bumping your gums because you want to take the violin on too that's tough poop, book the clothes case in the hold and take the beloved violin under your arm with your werthers originals in your pocket.

There is limited space in most passenger aircraft cabins for hand luggage as it is and a lot of airlines are currently looking at ways of reducing the amount that passengers bring on board.

If you have to fly with your instrument make sure that it is appropriately cased for going in the hold.