Why become a member? ×

Fender S1 switch

Trueno

Just curious... not seen any mention of these, or featured on the basses for sale (not the ones I've seen, anyway)
I bought a Precision... about 12 years ago. It had an S1 switch and I hated it. I never used the extra sound from pressing the button, but what I really hated was the switch itself. If it had been a simple pull up switch or a mini toggle it would be ok, but my first one didn't work so I got the bass changed. At the time I think that if you wanted a brand new MIA Fender you had to get one with the switch... so I got it.
On the J bass I think it was a series switch... supposed to make it sound more like a P. Maybe that worked a bit better.
Just wondering if anyone had a happy time with this switch and thought/thinks it's great... or anyone had it taken out.

A switch that makes your P bass sound "not like a P bass"? If I'm missing the point let me know.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1470299667' post='3104819']
I found the jazz sound very useable and want my next one to be modded to include it. On a precision, the series switch seemed less successful.
[/quote]

Bang on. GREAT on the jazz.

Agree with Karl - great on a Jazz but useless on a Precision. It just turn the Precision sound in to a weedy thin version so I swapped mine out. Clearly the knobs are different (the switches are the same) but I don't know if you can buy aftermarket S1 knobs for a Jazz...

I've had push-pulls before, on my zootbass, for example. They work and have a satisfying clunky feel to them. The S1 didn't feel as sturdy and didn't work on my first p bass when I got it home... put me off them for good... I could see it packing up when one day out of guarantee. But... didn't do anything for me on the P anyway, but I am warming to the idea on my J, if I ever need to mess about with the electronics.
If I'd kept the P I would have swapped it out, I think.

• 7 years later...

8 years late to this party, but...

I use the switch on my P for more clarity if I'm playing chords in the upper register. Works really nicely for that.

Pretty useless in the money zone, though. Unless you want to weedify your P, as already pointed out.