Why become a member? ×

Klon KTR

Tandro

So, quick backstory that will make this post (and me) sound utterly ridiculous, but hey ho. I started messing with guitar again at the end of last year because after many many moons, I have this itch that I really want to learn to play blues. I had _no interest_ in guitar gear, don't have any except a cheap squier strat, play through a small solid state bass modeling amp, did not want to spend money, did not see the point of effects and use none. Then within the last week and a half, I've gone from that, to the point where I feel I 'need' a Klon KTR (for low gain overdrive).

Putting aside my absurd situation for the moment (and yes I should get a valve amp), what is the real concensus on the KTR? I've looked/listened at vid after vid about the Soul Food, JRAD Archer, Tumnus etc. etc. etc. Is the price justified (about £250+) for the KTR...even if not, is it just worth getting it, well, because its a Klon KTR and not a klone (yes, I'm one of those type of people). Don't ridicule me too much...

I use a Boss Fender Deluxe pedal (FDR-1...) for this. No longer sold, it seems, but can be found on t'bay ...

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSS-FDR-1-FENDER-65-DELUXE-REVERB-EFFECTS-PEDAL-2-FREE-GUITAR-PLECTRUMS-/252460079590?hash=item3ac7cb19e6:m:mbJzsNoZk-t6vPUQu9QswwQ"]Fender pedal...[/url]

It's very good, in my opinion (but there again, I'm a drummer, so...).
Just sayin'; hope this helps.

I'm a fan of clones...the cheapest Chinese ones I can find too...because that is currently all my budget will allow :D

However, I would say if you want one and can afford one...absolutely get one! Hopefully it will be a gas killer and something you can keep as part of your set up for a long time. Is it worth the extra £? I think it's probably best not to get into that :D

I do have a crush on the Wampler Tumnus and that's a bit cheaper. Also Brian Wampler's Youtube channel is great :D (I also fancy a Tweed 57.)

With respect to SS amps...I play a bunch of cheapy clone pedals through a Gear4Music/Belcat 35w combo and 1. it's totally loud enough for my band and 2. It sounds as good as/better than the previous guitar players Blues Junior 3. It's really light! I know you didn't ask...but there you go!

:D

Thanks Dad3353 for the recommendation, was just listening to some demo vids and its quite interesting. So many pedals from so many different manufacturers that I don't know and learning about. I must say though I have this fixation on a Klon, maybe I'm just too hit over the head by the hype and stuff. To see the original Centaur's going for over £1500 is just amazing (but thats a different ball game).

@paul_h my budget also does not allow for anything this pricey, but the birthday is coming up, and well.....yeah :) You encouraging me is not helping, lol.

The way I'm 'rationalising' it in my head also is that, from what I can tell, KTR's on the bay have prices around £200+ (if they get that I don't know, not seen any currently on UK ebay thus far). So unless things change, if I want to sell it (which I doubt I would) it won't be that bad. One can reason themself into buying anything, can't they...
I ain't no guitarist, but if this is what they go through chasing 'tone', then I should just stop now.

I've just swapped to guitar in my fledgling country band and I've gone from no interest in pedals to currently having seven in use :D

Four of those are on all the time in an attempt to make my ss amp sound halfway decent. Not one of them cost more than £25 :D

Proper Klon...doable in a twisted way...proper '59 burst...sell the second house to pay for it (I should ideally get a first house to begin with).
Just when I thought I had my bass GAS under control after 'much' struggle, this geetar thing decides to pop up and play havoc...why oh why

Klons are a bit swaggy - supposed to emulate dumbles and the nuances might be lost in your current set up. Why not settle for something like a Joyo JF14 American Sound which is a Fender emulator and see how things go?

Are you still playing through the bass amp? I gather that a lot of the fuss around the Klon is how it behaves when pushing a valve amp, so you probably won't get the best out of it in that context. For a similar amount of cash I'd be inclined to pick up some sort of small valve combo used and an inexpensive booster or tubescreamer clone to push it with. If bluesy, low-gain drive is your goal, that would get you closer than putting the KTR in front of a bass combo.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1471096856' post='3110521']
Klons are a bit swaggy - supposed to emulate dumbles and the nuances might be lost in your current set up. Why not settle for something like a Joyo JF14 American Sound which is a Fender emulator and see how things go?
[/quote]

^^^This. I use a Joyo american sound and now my £70 Gear4Music 35w combo does a passable impersonation of a Blues Junior. I got mine from Aliexpress for just over £20 :D

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1471096856' post='3110521']
[/quote]

As I've become more guitar effect obsessed, I've followed the 'Klon' story, and I think it attracts the same attention as 'wow, let's pay a LOT for that one ultra boutique piece of gear' like Dumble amps, but much cheaper and easier to obtain. The Klon sound isn't so Dumbly, but these pedals are:

http://tonereport.com/blogs/tone-tips/dumbledorks-dumble-amp-in-a-box-pedals

Klon Klones are so easy to buy at a low price I just wouldn't bother with the real thing unless a pristine one came up and was a decent (eg low) price.

• 1 year later...

I do have a Klon KTR and admittedly do have some nice valve amps to push with it; but I have to say the Klon is a very very good pedal. Even just using it as a clean pedal without the boost it seems to enhance the guitar's natural tone and response. GIve it some beans and it is one of the best-defined drive pedals out there. All strings remain distinct despite the addition of plenty  of balls and hair! It is a class act and according to plenty of people does sound exactly the same as the Centaur. I tried a bunch of Klon clones, including some with much pedigree; but none of them sound or behave as well as the KTR...to my ears anyway.

i don't think I am being biassed because I own a KTR, as I have done some shoot outs with quite a few other dirt/drive pedals that I own and it still comes out on joint top with the Butler Tube Driver.......but that's another story.

• 2 years later...