Why become a member? ×

BBC Proms - David Bowie

skidder652003

oh dear..... i have to say i was abit shocked, i dont know why i feel bad saying that, but thats how i feel eventhough i can see all the effort put into it.
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0tBXbHWHxs"]https://www.youtube....h?v=-0tBXbHWHxs[/url]

Edited by funkgod

Parts of it were brilliant, parts terrible. I really enjoyed Anna Calvi, Phillipe Jaroussky, Laura Mvula, Paul Buchanan. Not sure what to make of Amanda Palmer, but loved the Blackstar section. Not so keen on John Cale, Marc Almond. Neil Hannon looked terrified.

The trombonist and flautist [s]were pretty hot[/s] can be in my next band.

But massive props to the Beeb and Proms and everyone else who tried to do something original. I'm getting really tired of things like "Bowie tribute karaoke", this embarrassing "Immersive Ziggy Stardust Experience" http://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/david-bowie/news/immersive-ziggy-stardust-experience-london-event/ and I had the misfortune to witness the opening few songs of an orchestral DB tribute at Wilderness Festival last weekend, fronted by Kate Nash. Mrs Knob said "I can tell your ears are getting angry, come on let's go do something else".

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1471012599' post='3109999']
I saw some of this this on iplayer not long ago. To me it was utterly flat and lifeless. Never heard Laura Mvula before and won't be checking her out any time soon. Not impressed with this bloke Paul Buchnanan, half mumbling half sleeping
[/quote]

Please don't judge the participants of a tribute on their performance of another artist's work. Healthy good natured criticism in this discussion apart, ALL of the people at the Prom are well respected in their own field of endeavour. Oh, and Laura Mvula is usually a LOT more interesting to listen to.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1471105072' post='3110584']
I'm not sure I agree with this...
[/quote]

I dislike Marc Almond's work myself as witnessed by a catty remark of mine above. It's always going to be the same whether he performs his own stuff or owt else. Is Marc Almond also disliked in the "profession" then?

I also think that Laura is a fine singer and I like what I've heard of and about Sing to the Moon. I made the comment because I felt she was not confident in her performance in the Prom tribute to David that's all. It's nowt to criticise her for either, it kind of goes with the territory.

Do you not think so?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1470561998' post='3106677']

Still and all, I appreciate that they loved Bowie too and that is what counts in a tribute.

I loved your work David. Thanks for keeping us interested to the very end of your life.
[/quote]

+1

Haven't seen the Quincy Jones prom yet but am looking forward to seeing it.

And despite a majority of quite negative reviews here for the Bowie Prom, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and that's despite having watched it more than once...