Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1320861055' post='1432476']

i see! kinda like you'd notice but an audience would not!?

andy
[/quote]

Exactly. That's the perfect way to put it. As an audiophile you'd notice a little and if you could A/B the signal youd notice a tiny volume drop, but my 1400W crown power amp has plenty of juice to spare...

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1320862617' post='1432500']
That has to be one of (if not THE) tidiest board I've ever seen. Now we need to hear what it can do! :)
[/quote]

Yeah - I got a bit obsessive with the cable runs and the power distributors. I still think it can be a little neater under the bridge where you can't see (midi and CV into the MP-201) but I need to resist tidying stuff that doesn't need to be tidied!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1320860451' post='1432457']I've spent a lot of time and money getting the signal path as clean as possible.
[/quote]

Hiya Shep, Good job! Can you say a bit more about the quote - tips, lessons learned, etc. My signal path's not a patch on yours but could you say a bit more about how to keep things clean?? Cheers, Rich

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1320864834' post='1432547']
Hiya Shep, Good job! Can you say a bit more about the quote - tips, lessons learned, etc. My signal path's not a patch on yours but could you say a bit more about how to keep things clean?? Cheers, Rich
[/quote]

Hey dude, Yeah… Obviously everything depends on a million ifs and buts, plus is totally dependant on what gear you are using, but in my experience these would be my main points:

1. Spend some dosh and a top quality powering system. Something that regulates and filters etc etc. The fewer number of transformers in a line along a multi-plug extension block the better. At first glance they may not seem to add too much noise, but under the microscope they can often do funny things to the sound (especially in the recording environment!).
My entire pedalboard is powered by 2 plugs. 1 for the MP-201 (as it requires AC not DC power) and 1 GigRig Generator running everything else, despite lots of different polarities and voltages. A system like that is expensive to tailor to a set up like mine but what it has done for signal noise etc is amazing to say the least!

2. Have a buffered pedal (Boss pedals are perfect for this - and are what I use!) as the first and last pedal in the chain. I'm sure others will explain this in a more technical way, but having a buffer first removes lots of popping etc in the signal chain and having one last takes a lot of noise out that is other wise amplified. This may not be an issue on smaller signal chains with different impedance, but on mine, sticking a true bypass pedal the start makes all the true bypass pedals pop, and having one at the end adds unwanted hiss to the signal.

3. Keep Audio cables as short and tidy as possible. Again, expense is involved, but moving to George L's to every lead is cut to length as opposed to using piles of pre-made 30, 40, 50cm cables has likely saved me about 6ft (if not more) of cable run around the board. More cable = more 'chance' of signal degradation and more cable surface to find interference etc etc.
i run the cables in looms and cable tie them together to they run around as 'one'

4. Keep power cables separate. That is, 9v DC cables etc to your pedals will always lay along side each other and along the audio chain, but where possible don't tie them into the same 'loom' as the audio patch cables. Also, try and keep any mains cables (eg. from the multi adapter to the wall) running from the board in the opposite direction to the lead running to the amp (or at least not along side each other). Most cables are insulated so you'll never have any issues, but every room, plug socket and cable is different so I do this as habit now.

5. Any noisy pedals (those which always hiss etc but are too good to leave from the board) should be kept in true bypass loop (preferably one made with pull-down resistors) so they can be switched out of the chain completely when not in use, rather than just turned off. Although they unwanted noise may seem to be gone when the pedals are off, noisy pedals still usually add or subtract something from the chain. Also worth noting that 'most' (not all) noisy pedals can often be cleaned up with more efficient powering.

6. Learn your pedals traits inside & out and try every possible signal chain order you can. Some pedals interact with others in ways you wouldn't expect. The Moogerfoogers for example have always active gain controls, so each drives the next pedal in line. I have 5 in a row so by the time you get to the 5th one its being overdriven, as is every pedal after. SOme have higher gain than others but by spending 6 months trying different orders I understand the characteristics of each and have a gain balance that means nothing ever peaks - unless I want it to.
In relation to this, if you know your setup and how things interact it also means that when something doesn't sound right you can usually pin point what it is very quickly.

7. Finally, forget the 'you need true bypass to preserve your tone' rubbish. Following the above points has allowed me to preserve 95% of my original tone, even though very little in my set up is true bypass. In fact, most noise issues tend to come from true bypass (I think EBS_Freak would agree here!) in my expereince. Buffered pedals, arranged and powered correctly can be very effective at delivering a pure signal.

Shep

great stuff Shep - really practical helpful advice. I am building up my understanding and my Board! slowly and am pleased that I understood the basics on most of what you say but you've taken it the the next level for me. cheers Rich

Edited by RichF

Happy to help bud. Again - things may be very different in your setup to mine, but those guidelines work for me.

The most important thing is to enjoy it. I love building stuff up like this. The challenge of creating the perfect board has been enjoyable. Patching boards up and making things more efficient has become a bit of a hobby really :)

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1320858908' post='1432422']
that is the Rolls-Royce of the bass pedalboard world. good job.
[/quote]

Si - When you coming over for a play next. Soooooooooo many new toys since you came over to the studio last!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1320928944' post='1433253']
Great advice and an incredible board. It's been really interesting to watch yours evolve and change over the last 2 years or whatever it has been now. Looks like hella fun to play with!
[/quote]

Cheers dude,

It is lots of fun. The joy of having all the foogers' is that it never ends as well. Feed a cable to a different input for a change and there's a whole new word of sounds!

As I've always said - the doors always open to Basschatters that want to come and have a play!

Hi all,

Looking to try and put a loop in here somewhere so that I don't have to tap dance quite so much! I use the Mu-Tron and the Octabass for the verse in one tune and then switch straight to both off and compressor and Sadowsky pre-amp on for the chorus.

Any ideas where I could put a Boss line selector in to make this easier - what would it be best replacing on the board?

Also toying with switching the Octabass for an Aguilar Octamiser - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Images below

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/Gunsfreddy2003/Cogswell%20Pics/IMG_2071.jpg

Gunsfreddy2003,

Try the MXR Octave Deluxe pedal. I play my 74 Jazz through mine and, having tried numerous octave pedals, this is by far the most consistent and reliable for live playing that I've found. It also records very well. Most importantly, it sounds fantastic.

Mike

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1321020017' post='1434431']
Hi all,

Looking to try and put a loop in here somewhere so that I don't have to tap dance quite so much! I use the Mu-Tron and the Octabass for the verse in one tune and then switch straight to both off and compressor and Sadowsky pre-amp on for the chorus.

Any ideas where I could put a Boss line selector in to make this easier - what would it be best replacing on the board?

Also toying with switching the Octabass for an Aguilar Octamiser - anyone have any thoughts on this?

Images below

[url="http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc441/Gunsfreddy2003/Cogswell%20Pics/IMG_2071.jpg"]http://i1212.photobu...cs/IMG_2071.jpg[/url]
[/quote]

You could use an LS-2...

Loop A has the octave and Mu-tron in and loop B has the pre and compressor. Set the LS-2 to A/B mode and you can pop between the 2 as much as you like.

Bear in mind though that whatever comes before of after the LS-2 will effect both channels

[quote name='mike f' timestamp='1321020990' post='1434446']
Try the MXR Octave Deluxe pedal. I play my 74 Jazz through mine and, having tried numerous octave pedals, this is by far the most consistent and reliable for live playing that I've found. It also records very well. Most importantly, it sounds fantastic.
[/quote]

I'm a big fan of the MXR Octave Deluxe, but I think it behaves a lot nicer in an effect loop. I run mine in a Barge loop on my board and blend in a bit of dry signal to tidy up the sound. Great pedal though, sounds evil!

Not sure how that would work as the Sadowsky pre sits before the Mu-Tron. It has to be there because when using my jazz bass I have to boost the input into the Mu-Tron to get the filters to open properly.

Any ideas?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1321021434' post='1434458']
You could use an LS-2...

Loop A has the octave and Mu-tron in and loop B has the pre and compressor. Set the LS-2 to A/B mode and you can pop between the 2 as much as you like.

Bear in mind though that whatever comes before of after the LS-2 will effect both channels
[/quote]

Never tried the MOD at all - can it do synthy?

[quote name='mike f' timestamp='1321020990' post='1434446']
Gunsfreddy2003,

Mike
[/quote]

Your post implies that you only use mu-tron and octave, then Pre and comp.

So, do you actually want Pre, mu-tron and octave, then Pre and comp?

In that case...

Bass - Pre - LS-2
Loop A: Mu-Tron - Octave
Loop B: Comp
Amp

The signal will always go through the Pre, then either mu-tron and octave OR compressor.

Shep

Well it depends which bass I am using! With the passive jazz I have the pre on all the time but with other basses I just use the pre when slapping to thicken up the bottom end.

My signal chain goes as follows:

Preamp (when used) to Polytune to Octabass to Filter Twin to Y cable to Brown Dog and Agent 00 Funk to Mu-Tron III to Bass Envelope Filter to Multi Comp and then to Uni Chorus and then the amp.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1321035549' post='1434751']
Your post implies that you only use mu-tron and octave, then Pre and comp.

So, do you actually want Pre, mu-tron and octave, then Pre and comp?

In that case...

Bass - Pre - LS-2
Amp

The signal will always go through the Pre, then either mu-tron and octave OR compressor.

Shep
[/quote]

Is that because of the chain that I have on my board?

I have looked at GigRig stuff but it is a huge investment.

If used an LS2 in my current chain what would happen? Or what could I achieve?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1321037932' post='1434795']
Let me have a think and I'll get back to you.

Something like the Carl Martin Octa Switch would do it as you can set up 8 specific combinations of pedals and pop between them. The GigRig stuff would work too. Expensive though. I can't think of a way to do it with your average loop/line selector.
[/quote]

The issue is, you currently want 3 combinations...

Pre - Octave - MuTron (if you use one of your basses)
Octave - MuTron (of you use the other bass (doesn't require Pre))
Pre - compressor.

The way I laid out the chain before...
Bass - Pre - LS-2
Amp

Would be the closest.

It would mean you can switch between the Mu-Tron & Octave together AND the compressor with 1 press.

You would also need to turn the Pre on or off though if you needed it. If you use the bass that always needs the Pre then you're fine (as I assume it's always on anyway), but of using the other bass you'd just turn it on for slapping. That should work.

Cool - but you mentioned in an earlier post that what is in the loop would also effect the chain afterwards. In the set up below would that have any impact on the ability to use effects independently or alter the sound in the rest of the chain?

BTW Shep really appreciate your help and advice with this one!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1321043252' post='1434895']
The issue is, you currently want 3 combinations...

Pre - Octave - MuTron (if you use one of your basses)
Octave - MuTron (of you use the other bass (doesn't require Pre))
Pre - compressor.

The way I laid out the chain before...
Bass - Pre - LS-2
Amp

Would be the closest.

It would mean you can switch between the Mu-Tron & Octave together AND the compressor with 1 press.

You would also need to turn the Pre on or off though if you needed it. If you use the bass that always needs the Pre then you're fine (as I assume it's always on anyway), but of using the other bass you'd just turn it on for slapping. That should work.
[/quote]

Which ever side of the loops you select will act as your signal path - you can still turn those pedals off though. They won't always 'effect' the signal, just be in line. Much like they are at the mo as your board currently stands.

The easiest way to think of it is that the LS-2 is an effect. Imagine the pedals in its loops don't exist.

Bass - pedal a - pedal b - LS-2 - pedal c - pedal d - amp

That's like a regular pedalboard with 5 pedals on it , although in reality there are more pedals as they are 'within the loop' of the LS-2. So which ever channel of the LS-2 is selected forms the signal path. If you think of the LS-2 as a multi effect, that does the job of which ever channel is selected, imagining the signal path gets a little easier (only in A/B mode though!).

If I'm not explaining it too well I apologise. If you PM me your current set up in the exact order you currently have it set up I'll write you up an example signal path with the LS-2.

Shep