Why become a member? ×

The right gauge cables for my Speakon connectors..?

waldemar

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1469715995' post='3100599']
Good for Bill. So much snake oil in cables, especially in wunnerful wold of hi-fi (where those with the most expensive set-ups usually have Van Gogh's ear for music).
[/quote]Having lots of money doesn't necessarily equate to being highly intelligent. Take Donald Trump, for instance. Really, take him, please...put him in the Tower of London and do a Richard III number on him. :ph34r:

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1469722023' post='3100657']
Having lots of money doesn't necessarily equate to being highly intelligent. Take Donald Trump, for instance. Really, take him, please...put him in the Tower of London [i][b]and do a Richard III number on him[/b][/i]. :ph34r:
[/quote]

What, bury him in a car park? :ph34r:

Edited by Huge Hands

In terms of the mechanics of the lead as a whole, and ignoring the electrical side, the screw terminal holes in Speakon connectors are fairly large - there's probably a slight advantage in overall reliability terms of having a cable core that fills a significant part of the void rather than a titchy little thing that the grub screw only just reaches.

I was quite surprised when I took my old GK 200MB combo apart at how thin the speaker wires were - must have been about .5mm cores, and the wires are 25cm or more long. For something pushing 100W into the internal 8[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Ω[/font][/color] speaker, that did seem a bit flimsy.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1469797888' post='3101125']
I was quite surprised when I took my old GK 200MB combo apart at how thin the speaker wires were - must have been about .5mm cores, and the wires are 25cm or more long.
[/quote]
And that's the big joke with all the "super cables", that they're only part of the signal chain.

For short amp-cab cables, nothing huge is required. Doesn't stop 2.5mm or 4mm cables feeling and looking more serious. And, for the cost, it's a tiny premium for the "joy of ownership". And nothing wrong with over-thick cables, as long as they don't sacrifice flexibility.

Disappointed that nobody mentioned:
Single core over multicore
Capacitance
Frequency response
Silver over copper cable
Gold plated connectors
Etc

The 'Dark Side' will trembling with fear for not discussing all these fine cable attributes.......

My cable case is the heaviest item to lug about, (PA/monitor leads inc'). I use 1.0, 1.25 or 1.5mm, any/all are fine. Speakon connectors are very well designed and making a good connection is relatively straight forward.

When it comes to making a good sound connection on a speaker lead with a 1/4" jack I now only use these:

[url="http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0166327/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Connectors-_-Audio_And_Video_Connectors&mkwid=szWhQSJqO_dc|pcrid|88056666003|pkw||pmt||prd|0166327&gclid=Cj0KEQjw8pC9BRCqrq37zZil4a0BEiQAZO_zrIohoeFhsajYE60CfSLzoq-gJSlHTfSvl_yclLtKAyUaAkNX8P8HAQ"]http://uk.rs-online....KAyUaAkNX8P8HAQ[/url]

I can get a decent soldered joint and the strain relief is better than the crimped.

Edited by grandad