Why become a member? ×

bass straps. getting the right length

bassjim

Dear all..... due to my impressive frame I can only ever seem to find straps that are too small or too long. Adjustable straps end up adjusting themselves so I dont like these. Other makes like "status" are great. Really comfortable.... except the holes for the strap locks/ strap buttons in the removable adjustable bit are always just in the wrong place for me. I end up twisting it round and round till its about right which kinda defeats the purpose of getting a comfortable strap.

My questions are:

What methods have you successfully employed to make a new button hole in the leather?

Also I saw Billy Sheehan going on about some material like a car seat belt because it wont stretch like leather will. Any one done this and how did you get the button hole for the strap lock done without it becoming a time bomb of a mess?

And discuss............

Leather punches are readily available and are quite cheap. I think ALDI had a set for less than five shopping trolley tokens recently.

Man made materials such as seat belt would need to be "sealed" at the edges of the hole to stop fraying down the line. This is usually done with a heated punch sufficient to melt the material without oxidising (burning) it and thereby weakening it.

Hope you get comfortable soon, I hate strap issues.

Edited by SpondonBassed

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com/guitar-straps/seat-belt-and-woven-guitar-straps.html

Seatbelt straps with vegan 'leather' that doesn't stretch or wear/dry out like leather.

The adjuster can move slightly but it stays in place if you put a bit of tape around it.

Don't actually see the point in this post, sorry!

I'm 6'5" and favour Thunderbirds and I fit Dunlop Straploks to everything. Simply put, I just use black extra long Levy straps. Polypropylene strap, leather terminals. Cost less than a pizza, strap holes big enough for Dunlops. End of.