Why become a member? ×

Hohner B Bass £15 BIN? Seriously?

Apparently so.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322197769762"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322197769762[/url]

Total project condition but nothing too major as far as I can see - needs electronics, new tuners and a serious de-lousing at the very least, Half the bridge components are missing but what's left looks functional.

Collection only from Manchester otherwise I'd be all over it. If the neck/body are intact it'd be a fun little project.

Jon.

Good Lad!

I wouldn't think the bridges are still around, these basses haven't been available for 20-odd years. However, looks to me like the bridge as-is should be functional. Not sure how the missing drop-tuner part should work, so you might have to improvise a ball-end anchor for the E string.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1468972525' post='3094858']
Good Lad!

I wouldn't think the bridges are still around, these basses haven't been available for 20-odd years. However, looks to me like the bridge as-is should be functional. Not sure how the missing drop-tuner part should work, so you might have to improvise a ball-end anchor for the E string.
[/quote]

The bridges for the headless versions are still about.

I'll get it and clean it up. Will see what's available...

Just found that myself - £130-odd for a new bridge though! :o

Pretty sure without all the gubbins, what's on the bass will still work like a conventional bridge. The saddles are the similar to the B2A and look like they adjust in the same way.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1469008892' post='3094998']
I suppose the real question is whether you want to try and sand out the marks where he's engraved the note names into the fingerboard...
[/quote]

I thought they were quite endearing!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1469008892' post='3094998']
I suppose the real question is whether you want to try and sand out the marks where he's engraved the note names into the fingerboard...
[/quote]

I have great skills with rosewood 😊

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1469008786' post='3094996']
Just found that myself - £130-odd for a new bridge though! :o
Pretty sure without all the gubbins, what's on the bass will still work like a conventional bridge.
[/quote]
Yes, rather pricey. I agree there is enough left of bridge to work just fine. I think the fine tuning screws can easily be bought. Only the detuner will be unusable.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1468969663' post='3094847']
Bought it...
[/quote]

That's great! What a bargain :)
If it was nearer me, I'd have done the same - to do it up & sell it on, or just sell the parts to someone else who needs to fix theirs
Nice to have a project on the go, especially if it hasn't cost you a fortune
Let us know how you get on with this one - good luck :)

Jon, it's light (sub 8lbs) and its structurally sound...

The preamp/pots/wiring are present but seemingly shot - for reasons unknown what looks like mains wire is attached to a jack plug.

The hohner decal on the body is gone and the paint is knackered.

So.

Refinish.

New pre...

New machine heads (Gotoh gb707 on way)

The bridge is present but pitted and missing the fine tuners - I'm going to investigate sanding the top layer off and refinishing it - I might use chemicals to get back to bare metal and then have it plated.

It's a goer though - not a write off at all.

Nice basses. I had one for a while, not entirely sure why I moved it on (same old story :) )

If you are modding it, rather than restoring it, you could perhaps consider not replacing the pre-amp as they sound nice passive?

Quite relieved it's structurally sound and looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Re refinishing. I'm not certain but I think these were Cort builds. A couple of years back I grabbed a bargain Cort headless (close relative of Hohner B2A & Jack) which badly needed a refin. Upon removing the knackered black paint with a heat gun (it peeled off really easily), I found the wood underneath to already be clearcoated (presumably a grain sealing/levelling coat) - not perfect but completely acceptable. I left mine natural but it would provide a ready-made basecoat for a respray.

And here's a random thought. If this was my project, I might feel inclined to take a hacksaw to the sharp end, a hammer & chisel to the blunt end and buy this to bolt onto it:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headless-bass-bridge-for-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-High-Quality-NEW-T1K0/162083449544"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K0/162083449544[/url]

Could be a £450 payday in it... ;) :D :ph34r:

J.