Why become a member? ×

Speakers at low volume...are the efficient ?

jonnythenotes

I'm putting together a small gig rig, specifically for either small venues, or unplugged sessions..(I already have a rig I use for bigger venues as and when required..) and one thing puzzles me... Will one 12"" speaker being driven at low volume, be better than a multi speaker cab being driven with the same low signal, to achieve the same out front volume ? I feel a larger, multi speakered cab...4x10 for example, being driven at low volume, and with the low signal being shared into 4 speakers is not as good as one larger speaker having to deal with all of the signal it receives, and therefore the single speaker has to do more work, even at low volume. I should imagine the volume achieved is comparable, but it's the make up or 'feel' of that volume that I am questioning. I am not mentioning the amp or cabs I presently use, as really, this is a pretty opened ended question, but both the new amp and cab will be of high quality... Ps.... This new set up will not be dealing with a 5 string...not sure if that makes any difference

Edited by jonnythenotes

My first thought is that you don't want to be hauling a 410 to small venues and unplugged sessions. Is that going to be an issue? My second thought is you would get very good performance from a single-speaker cab at low volume levels. The phrase 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' springs to mind. ;)

I used to take a big 115 when I played with an acoustic duo because that's all I had. It wasn't right.

I bought a neo 112 and IMO it sounded much better and was obviously more sensible to take into small folk club gigs.

That got me thinking about modular rigs. These days, even for the loudest bands, I use more smaller cabs, used to be 3 112's then a 212 and 112 now 2 Super Compacts..I don't miss the big cabs at all, for volume, tone or carrying.

How small is small? The cab I bought was a Bergantino AE112. I'd check out the Berg CN112 in the classifieds. It's a fantastic cab and a great starting point for a small modular rig. I used an Aguilar TH500 and IMO it's a perfect match for the Bergs.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1468919238' post='3094247']
I'm putting together a small gig rig, specifically for either small venues, or unplugged sessions..(I already have a rig I use for bigger venues as and when required..) and one thing puzzles me... Will one 12"" speaker being driven at low volume, be better than a multi speaker cab being driven with the same low signal, to achieve the same out front volume ? I feel a larger, multi speakered cab...4x10 for example, being driven at low volume, and with the low signal being shared into 4 speakers is not as good as one larger speaker having to deal with all of the signal it receives, and therefore the single speaker has to do more work, even at low volume. I should imagine the volume achieved is comparable, but it's the make up or 'feel' of that volume that I am questioning. I am not mentioning the amp or cabs I presently use, as really, this is a pretty opened ended question, but both the new amp and cab will be of high quality... Ps.... This new set up will not be dealing with a 5 string...not sure if that makes any difference
[/quote]

Your not losing anything by underutilising a cab, well other than having to cart around unnecessary bulk/weight of course. Its not like guitar speakers which are designed to sound better when they are driven hard. You seem to be looking for some tone based justification for getting another smaller cab but really there isnt one, if you want a cab thats more portable just get one for that reason alone. EDIT - OK so is one sonic advantage of a single speaker cab, namely dispersion i.e. its going to project the sound more evenly at different listening angles, assuming were taking about the same size drivers of course.

Edited by bassman7755

Some good stuff here guys, and thanks for your time... The 'small rig' will be an Epifani PS112, powered by an Epifani PS600 head. I have had the head for a couple of years, but stopped using it when I bought an Aggy Tone Hammer 500....(also have an LM II as a back up.) I saw the PS112 cab come up at a pretty good price, and thought the two Epifani bits of kit would be a good match together..and be pretty portable... So really, I don't actually need it, it's just a touch of GAS, and also, I want to start using a fantastic head again. Thanks again guys, and keep it coming.....

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1468924178' post='3094291']
Sorry Discreet...my initial post/question may have been a bit Hazey...I already own 'the big rig' and am fed up with hauling it around to every gig whether it needs it or not. I am putting together a smaller set up for this reason, but just wanted opinions on my initial question..
[/quote]

I'm doing pretty much every gig these days with one or two TKS S112 cabs: single 12" speakers, small, about 10Kg each... I haven't found them wanting yet. If portability is what you're after, do it.

Yes, a 610 cab situation like I used to have sounds bigger and fuller, but the extra 'oomph' is rarely worth the hassle, and it's not like the 2x12 solution lacks bass, it just won't make the glasses two floors upstairs rattle.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1468929718' post='3094379']
I have 2 2x10s. I only take the second one to gigs.
[/quote]

Yes, I'm finding that my 2X10 covers pretty much everything. It go loud when necessary and doesn't miss a beat. Sounds great.

[size=3][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I took just this flexible approach when I bought my Markbass rig and got two compact Traveler cabs. Use both for bigger/backline only gigs: [/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Calibri][color=#000000][/color][/font][/size]

[size=3][font=Calibri][color=#000000]And just the 2x10 for quieter venues, coffee bars, church etc. The smaller cab still throws out a lot of volume if you want it to but sounds great at lower volumes too…[/color][/font][/size]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font]

Edited by TrevorR

I too have a modular rig. Actually, I probably have too many combinations of amp, and way too many speaker cabs :)
I used to haul big heavy cabs around the place, and whilst I got fed up of lugging large, bulky equipment around,
I also noticed that for many venues, I wasn't getting the sound I really wanted either.

Some venues, my Markbass 15 extension cab sounded great, some it didn't (and that was much smaller + lighter than my old 2x15")
So I now use my flexible rig, depending not only on size of venue, but also on what type of music I'm playing, and whether I'm playing Bass Guitar, DB, or doubling up, with a combination of the two...

My Markbass 2x10 cab is usually plenty for most pub venues. For larger venues, I tend to use my PJB 4x5 Piranha cab,
or if I don't think I'll need that - I take a further 1x10 cab. I know, it may seem odd, but my Epifani 1x10 cab is brilliant.
The amp heads I have operate on the principal that one 8ohm speaker gives me 300W, but when I use an additional 8 ohm cab, I get either 500W or 550W (depending on which head I use). Although having 3 x 10" speaker cabs may seem odd, the Markbass 2x10 and the Epifani together create a great sound, and usually I've plenty of headroom....

In some smaller pubs, I've used the Epifani alone, with either an Orange Terror 500 or my TC550W head, and I have to say, it has been plenty for smaller venues. I also wanted to say, I don't think I ever got a satisfactory sound when playing DB through a 15" speaker. Again, it may be down to venues and or choice of amp head - but it didn't half make the bottom end of the sound rather unclear and un-defined.

Interesting to hear what you opt for. Shame you weren't at the Cardiff bass bash last Saturday, as we compared several small cabs and heads. Good luck :)

Edited by Marc S