Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.
Don't need a new cab.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1468267453' post='3089766']
Once I've finished the build and confirmed that everything fits together as it should, I shall be making kits available. If anyone is interested, P.M. me.
[/quote]

Capital!

That's one of the reason that Barefaced cabs are so expensive. Premium drivers equal premium price.

The recommended speakers for the Jack 12 Lite are the Eminence Beta 12, the entry level speaker and costs about £60. The Delta Pro 12 costs about £130. The Eminence Basslite 2012 is around £88 and the Deltalite II 2512 is about £124.

The Beta can still make a good sounding cab if you're on a budget and don't need huge power handling, especially as they sometimes show up used for about half of the new price. I've been quite pleased with them myself, though I've only used them in conventional ported cabs rather than BFM's horn enclosures. However, it would seem a bit counter-intuitive to go for the extra complexity of the Lite design to save weight and then put a ceramic driver in it.

Hi, it's me, I'm back!

I've been a busy bee since my last post but first I forgot to mention that when fitting the top hat, I added a spacer to make a 1/2" bit of ply to screw into. I thing that screwing into 1/4" ply is pushing it a bit.

[attachment=223413:TOP HAT SPACER.jpg]

I've being bold and using the 5 minute glue from now on. Right, cab on its front and glue and staple the first phase plug extension and woofer spacer in place rapidly followed by the second phase plug extension and woofer spacer and last but not least, the foam phase plug extension. I've cunningly engraved a circle the same size as the woofer extension cutout on the back of the baffle to make gluing the woofer extensions error free and cut 2mm pilot holes for the speaker screws. I could at this point have put some speaker cloth / grill between the baffle and woofer spacers but I do actually prefer no cloth at all, I'm weird like that, and as I'm mounting horns in the cabs, hope that will be enough, should be.

[attachment=223414:SPEAKER SPACERS & POLYBIT.jpg]

Next, the bits that hold the back on, or as Bill calls them, the back flanges. These are cut out of 1/4" ply and as the flanges need to be 1/2", just glue and staple 2 together. Remove the squeeze out with the chisel and glue them in. The tabs just fit in the slots and line up perfectly. I used the tin of Tuff Cab as a weight again but I could have stapled through from the outside as well.

[attachment=223416:SPEAKER SPACERS & POLYBIT2.jpg]

Next is to glue the back braces to the back. Staples, glue and the tin of paint again as a weight and that's done.

[attachment=223417:BACK BRACES.jpg]

Now some more sanding. Sanded all the sides smooth and rounded over the corners and edges so they're not sharp.

1st and 2nd coat of Tuff Cab. I'm getting excited now!!

Mount the speaker. I've used 1 1/2" x 10s but 12s may be better. The speaker is incredibly light so it should be fine.

[attachment=223418:SPEAKER MOUNTED.jpg]

Now for the wadding. I wasn't quite sure what to use but then remembered that Mrs Bert had thrown out an old quilt the other week, it's the middle tog, is that about 11 tog? Anyway, I dragged it off the bonfire and as the sun had been shining for a few days, not continuously, as obviously night gets in the way, I cut the covering off and was left with a very usable sheet of hollow fibre filling. Doesn't look hollow though! Stuffed it everywhere and stapled it to the back and it looks like this.

[attachment=223419:SPEAKER LOADED + WADDING.jpg]

Screwed the back in place and here's what it looks like so far.

[attachment=223421:FINISHED CAB.jpg]

I've been keeping a note of the weight as I've been going along and for our mate Mark, the weight is,

I've just been called for my dinner by Mrs Bert, Spaghetti Bolognese, so I shall continue later.

Edited by bertbass

That was delicious and I'm more full up than a full up person who's really full up!

Ok.

The cab painted but unloaded weighs 5.2 kg that's just 11lbs 42 ozs.

With the speaker mounted it weighs 8.6kg, 18lbs 15oz.

I've made the horns and mounted the drivers. The horn on its own weighs 476 grams, with compression drivers it weighs 714 grams.

The total weight of the cab with horn, wadding, handle, 2 sets of feet and sockets is 10kg, 22lbs.

More on the horn, compression drivers and assembly later.

Edited by bertbass

On with the build now the horns.

I'd really like to try Bill's melded array but with the price of peizo horns here in the UK being silly prices I've gone for the horn design.

All the parts are cut out and the angles cut. Assembly is a bit fiddly but easy enough and there's nowhere to put tabs so it's glue on fingers time to align all the pieces. The staple gun really is your friend here.

[attachment=223481:HORN 2.jpg]

The recommended compression horns are Eminence ASD 1001 x 2. I've been using Selenium DH200 compression drivers but they're not that light and as I want these cabs to be as light as possible, I've gone a different route and bought some of these, Pyle PDS111 Titanium Horn Screw On Type Compression Driver Tweeter 8 Ohm 200w. Have I tried them before? No, do I know if they're any good, also no, but if they are then I'm on a winner.

To mount them I've come up with a cunning plan. As they weigh next to nothing, I've cut another ring of 1/4" ply and using an old compression driver, forced a thread through it, and it works. I've used a couple more rings as spacers. All this to save a couple of quid on couple horn adaptors and weight of course. The horn adaptors are £4.24 each from Blue Aran.

[attachment=223482:HORN 1.jpg]

Out again with the paint. I'm not using the filters as I'm using an electronic xover, a new one that I've had sitting around for a few years. From the crossover into one of these. [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_d4500.htm?ref=search_rslt_t-amp_218916_16."]http://www.thomann.d...-amp_218916_16.[/url] I've been using 2 of these for a few years now and I have to say that they are pretty good.

I've wired the Pyle drivers in series and mounted the horn in the cabinet with a couple of screws top and bottom and it looks like this.

[attachment=223483:ONE CAB FINISHED FINISHED.jpg]

As if by magic another one appears and I've got a pair!

[attachment=223484:BOTH CABS FINISHED.jpg]

It's getting a bit late now and don't want to annoy the neighbours so I'll put them to the test tomorrow. I'll report again tomorrow.

Apologies for for being late posting this next thrilling installment. We celebrated Mrs Bert's Dad's 80th yesterday with a family meal at the Star in Normans Bay. I'm sure some of you will be familiar with it. As there were over 20 of us we had the 3 course meal for £10 a head. Most excellent as well and recommended. Everyone chipped in and bought him personalised number plates and he was speechless. A magic moment. Still I digress.

On with the thread.

Yesterday I set the Jacks up with the Rumble 500 head on top. I didn't use the horns as the Jacks are plenty bright enough on their own and they sound just like Jacks. I'm sure others can chip in here and help me out with their opinions of what Jacks sound like.

They are certainly full range clean and clear and with every note being in balance. They are initially quite mid prominent but that can be eqed out. They can't do a deep rumbling bass but they let you be heard in the mix and they are pretty efficient.

No vibration at all either.

Next test is with music. From my iphone, Into my spare Spirit mixer, then crossed over electronically and into the T-amp mentioned above.

They sound most excellent! What more can I say. Loud, clear, precise. Everything that they should be. Tom thought that Smoke on the Water, his favourite song, sounded fantastic and wanted it turned up while Amy, my 10 year old Grandaughter, and her friend, Paige, came running into the workshop demanding that I turned it down, it's too loud Grandad, everyone can hear it. They were playing at the other end of the Garden, but when I plugged a mic in and they started singing songs, they wanted it turned up.

This has only been an initial test in my workshop / shed / man cave and as wee all know, cabs can sound totally different when used on their own compared to with the band. Tonight I'll be gigging the Jacks for bass at a private party and tomorrow I shall use them for P.A. at a Hastings Pirate Day gig. I shall report back Monday.

Here's a photo of my able assistant, Tom, my 4 year old Grandson, proving that he can lift a Jack on his own.

[attachment=223578:TOM-LIFTING-CAB.gif]

And another photo of him helping Grandad carry the 'new cabs' from the workshop to the house, about 35 yards.

[attachment=223579:TOM-CARRYING-CAB.gif]

He refused all offers of help. "I can do it on my own Grandad" and he did.

Edited by bertbass