Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a polish

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1468072334' post='3088436']
I used the Dunlop polish on my '74 Gibson SG (similar age to your bass) and it had a very bad reaction to it. The finish went very matt and almost sticky. I really wish I'd tried it on the back first!
I tried loads of things to remedy it, eventually winning with toothpaste (really!) and a LOT of elbow grease. I'm never letting that stuff near the SG again, but it does work fine on all my other (non-nitro finish) guitars.
[/quote]

I've never heard of toothpaste being used for that purpose before. Out of curiosity, what/who gave you the idea to use toothpaste?
What with toothpaste, lighter fuel, car polish, being suggested i've clearly had a sheltered life and been using the wrong products on my basses! :lol:
I think i'll go with either the Dr Ducks Axe Wax or Gerlitz No'1 Carnauba wax and polish.

The best I've ever used is Virtuoso. It comes in two bottles: cleaner and polish.

Saying 'best' isn't really good enough. This stuff, the cleaner especially, is spooky. It cleaned my vintage Gibson 330 in a way nothing else did. Use an old white cotton t-shirt, so you can see how much brown goop is removed. It's almost miraculous. The technique is to work on a small area at a time, with circular movements, until the cloth begins to 'stick'. But keep working until there's no friction at all.

I think you can only get it from the USA. If I bought a Gibson EB that needed cleaning/polishing and I'd run out of Virtuoso, I'd wait until I could get some more. I am that impressed by it.

PS In my personal experience; please please don't use T-Cut, or wax. Spit at least won't do any harm.

Edited by KK Jale

I used lighter fluid to remove stickers which were baked on to an old Jim Deacon bass. I was near-astounded by the job it done, and how smooth and shiny it left the finish on what was a manky old bass, which had spent five years in someone's attic.

I have a Sterling Sub Ray 4, not the most knowledgeable guy about finishes etc so I dunno what type it is but it feels kinda unfinished, not lacquered. What can I use to shine that up?

Edited by Funky Dunky

I use [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LORD-SHERATON-CARETAKER-WOOD-BALSAM-75ML-WITH-PURE-BEESWAX-NOURISHES-PROTECTS-/182002846998"]http://www.ebay.co.u...S-/182002846998[/url] Lord Sheraton furniture balsam on my Thunderbird every now and then and cleans it very well. Although does not leave a shiny slippery finish so I use Pledge furniture spray, but on to a cloth and not direct onto the wood, on a more regular basis which gives it shiny appearance, slippery neck and removes the cloudy finger marks off the nitro cellulose finish on the body. In fact I use the Lord Sheraton on the back of all my guitar necks as it removes built up grime very effectively.

Edited by Shylock

[quote name='Shylock' timestamp='1468098281' post='3088634']
I use [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LORD-SHERATON-CARETAKER-WOOD-BALSAM-75ML-WITH-PURE-BEESWAX-NOURISHES-PROTECTS-/182002846998"]http://www.ebay.co.u...S-/182002846998[/url] Lord Sheraton furniture balsam on my Thunderbird every now and then and cleans it very well. Although does not leave a shiny slippery finish so I use Pledge furniture spray, but on to a cloth and not direct onto the wood, on a more regular basis which gives it shiny appearance, slippery neck and removes the cloudy finger marks off the nitro cellulose finish on the body. In fact I use the Lord Sheraton on the back of all my guitar necks as it removes built up grime very effectively.
[/quote]

The trouble with most household furniture polishes is that they contain silicon to give you that "just polished" wet look and the problem with silicon is that you can never paint over it. So it may give you a nice shiny look but should you ever to need repaint or re-lacquer the bass you'd be in trouble.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1468073611' post='3088451']

I've never heard of toothpaste being used for that purpose before. Out of curiosity, what/who gave you the idea to use toothpaste?
What with toothpaste, lighter fuel, car polish, being suggested i've clearly had a sheltered life and been using the wrong products on my basses! :lol:
I think i'll go with either the Dr Ducks Axe Wax or Gerlitz No'1 Carnauba wax and polish.
[/quote]
Can't quite remember when I got the notion about toothpaste, but it is a very fine abrasive, certainly finer than t-cut and a bit finer than metal polish. Smells minty fresh too.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1468079574' post='3088491']
The best I've ever used is Virtuoso. It comes in two bottles: cleaner and polish.

Saying 'best' isn't really good enough. This stuff, the cleaner especially, is spooky. It cleaned my vintage Gibson 330 in a way nothing else did. Use an old white cotton t-shirt, so you can see how much brown goop is removed. It's almost miraculous. The technique is to work on a small area at a time, with circular movements, until the cloth begins to 'stick'. But keep working until there's no friction at all.

I think you can only get it from the USA. If I bought a Gibson EB that needed cleaning/polishing and I'd run out of Virtuoso, I'd wait until I could get some more. I am that impressed by it.

PS In my personal experience; please please don't use T-Cut, or wax. Spit at least won't do any harm.
[/quote]

Virtuoso is specially developed for nitro finishes. It's expensive, but it's far and away given me the best results with nitro compared to other stuff. Love the bass btw

It is a fine looking bass indeed. I personally would enjoy it for what it is, a 44 year old classic.

At least one post mentions Dan Erlewine's book. It is comprehensive and based on years of experience. It is much cheaper to have a copy to refer to, than to mess up a classic bass or guitar.

P.S. If lighter fluid sounds naff, just call it naptha.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1468134426' post='3088718']
Virtuoso is specially developed for nitro finishes. It's expensive, but it's far and away given me the best results with nitro compared to other stuff. Love the bass btw
[/quote]

Thank you, it's a really nice axe that just really needs new strings and a set up.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1468137579' post='3088735']
It is a fine looking bass indeed. I personally would enjoy it for what it is, a 44 year old classic.

At least one post mentions Dan Erlewine's book. It is comprehensive and based on years of experience. It is much cheaper to have a copy to refer to, than to mess up a classic bass or guitar.

P.S. If lighter fluid sounds naff, just call it naptha.
[/quote]

Yes the condition of the Gibson is excellent really for a 44 year old bass, and it's totally original too. I've just ordered a product from the USA called Eternashine "Players Kit". It's not cheap as such but i'm impressed with the videos and the feedback about this product.
I intend to try a drop first on my only non - vintage bass first. I'll let the forum know what the results are. It will take a week or so to arrive.