Why become a member? ×

String lubricants

Clarky

Hi, I have two P basses each strung with TI Flats. One plays beautifully (I have gigged this one and the strings are older and have a real slippery feel to them), while the other much less so. Specifically the strings on the latter (which are newer and not gigged) feel slightly rough/dry and are hard to finger pick fast. It could simply be I got a duff batch but I am unwilling to shell out another £30-odd to replace them.

So is there a good lubricant you would recommend to improve the feel of these strings and hence the playability of the bass?

[quote name='Clarky' post='297337' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:15 AM']Hi, I have two P basses each strung with TI Flats. One plays beautifully (I have gigged this one and the strings are older and have a real slippery feel to them), while the other much less so. Specifically the strings on the latter (which are newer and not gigged) feel slightly rough/dry and are hard to finger pick fast. It could simply be I got a duff batch but I am unwilling to shell out another £30-odd to replace them.

So is there a good lubricant you would recommend to improve the feel of these strings and hence the playability of the bass?[/quote]

I always use Fast Fret works well for me.

[quote name='Clarky' post='297337' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:15 AM']Hi, I have two P basses each strung with TI Flats. One plays beautifully (I have gigged this one and the strings are older and have a real slippery feel to them), while the other much less so. Specifically the strings on the latter (which are newer and not gigged) feel slightly rough/dry and are hard to finger pick fast. It could simply be I got a duff batch but I am unwilling to shell out another £30-odd to replace them.

So is there a good lubricant you would recommend to improve the feel of these strings and hence the playability of the bass?[/quote]
Thanks chaps, will give Fast Fret a go

[quote name='budget bassist' post='297955' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:20 PM']+1 on fast fret

Looks after your fretboard too but i find it doesn't last amazingly long.[/quote]

Not as long as Fast Fret claim, cheap enough though :)

Ive always got great results with fastfret, use them on my EUB which has flats, worth a try for £6

Hi, I have two P basses each strung with TI Flats. One plays beautifully (I have gigged this one and the strings are older and have a real slippery feel to them), while the other much less so. Specifically the strings on the latter (which are newer and not gigged) feel slightly rough/dry and are hard to finger pick fast. It could simply be I got a duff batch but I am unwilling to shell out another £30-odd to replace them.

So is there a good lubricant you would recommend to improve the feel of these strings and hence the playability of the bass?

• 1 month later...