Why become a member? ×

Band Disappointment

DanOwens

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1468336296' post='3090238']
I've played with a couple of rubbish drummers in the past, and its bloody soul destroying. When you're trying to build some dynamics into songs and a baboon on drums just wrecks it all by playing the wrong arrangements etc.

It sounds like a nightmare mate - best of luck with seeing it through tho. Haven't the rest of the band noticed how bad he is then?
[/quote]

I guess we all have drum stories but one of the first things I ask is who is on drums.
Time is not negotiable.. I can play on and behind but I don't want a push either.

I like to think I can make the drums work but you don't want to start from a negative position where it is as much as you can do to make it 'ok'..
I'd pass........

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468349731' post='3090374']

I guess we all have drum stories but one of the first things I ask is who is on drums.
Time is not negotiable.. I can play on and behind but I don't want a push either.

I like to think I can make the drums work but you don't want to start from a negative position where it is as much as you can do to make it 'ok'..
I'd pass........
[/quote]

Thats true - I'm talking about 15 years ago having to contend with a piss poor ( and usually pissed up) drummer, who was eventually sacked and replaced with an only marginally better one.

Nowadays I wouldn't hang around.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1467822602' post='3086549']
...worth checking with your mate that he's definitely coming back at the end of summer and hasn't just done the craftiest exit from a band that he too finds depressing to play with.
[/quote]

Just do this again! Find another dep and make your own crafty exit! :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1468349731' post='3090374']

I'd pass........
[/quote]

Yes, It's hard work when you're trying to drive the drums for a three hour gig. Or at rehearsals week after week. Unfortunately for a lot of us it only actually becomes apparent after we've played with someone a lot better, at which point there's no going back.

My turning point was when I started depping for other bands and actually ended up joining two other side bands because the first main band I was playing in weren't getting gigs, or particularly interested in gigging. Usually by the end of the first song at each rehearsal I'd start feeling on edge. It was not worth persevering with.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1468260536' post='3089690']
I can synthesise with the drummer issue. Ive had the same drummer for 14 years and he never rehearses at home, cant remember any new bits we add, cant keep time, doesn't have the stamina to keep a steady beat....i could go on and on. utterly soul destroying but its really only now getting to me. I guess my tolerance is a lot higher than most people.
[/quote]
You've reassured me no end. If you were based in Exeter I'd think it was the same drummer. It wasn't just the drummer either. I got more and more frustrated, started to say things, tried to be constructive but they didn't like it and found myself between bands.

FWIW I think the OP has it right, honouring the commitment makes you the professional and then you can put it behind you and chalk it up to experience.

[quote name='DanOwens' timestamp='1467811154' post='3086433']
I suppose I'm ranting, but...

My good friend asked me to dep with his band whilst he was away for the summer. He's a guitarist but plays fretless in the band because he's a singer and they already have 2 guitarists. Its kinda psychedelic folk-rock and I've loved the songs since I first saw them and secretly though "I should be their bass player". I was honoured to be asked.

On joining I asked for charts and recordings; I don't need it but it helps. I was met with laughter: "Charts? We're too disorganised for charts" ALARM BELLS!

I've done a few rehearsals and one gig and the calibre of musicianship and general organisation is far below what I'm used to, but the kicker is the drummer:
- Asks "What does that go like?" each time he's told the song title... of a song he's been playing for months!!
- Can't keep time
- Band writes songs by jamming. The drummer played one single beat for 3 hours last night and still made mistakes
- Can't remember structures or arrangements (stops, pauses etc)

So now I'm in this horrible situation of depping for a mate for a band where I feel like I've lost the will to live every time we meet.

Is this a common experience, that I've avoided so far? I only have 4 more weeks of it, but MY GOD!!

TL;DR Joined a band with a sh*t drummer.
[/quote]
How did you like them in the first place then? Surely they would have been as terrible when you watched/heard them.